It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 - A Martian Oddity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm going to use this thread to jump on the ever popular Mars bandwagon.
However, I will NOT be showing yet another in the long line of Martian "artifacts" purporting to be indisputable proof of the past or present existence of aliens and/or their technology. We already have sufficient numbers of threads along those lines.

Instead, I'm going to show a group of well known surface features comprising 3 volcano's (Ascraeus Mons, Pavonis Mons and Arsia Mons) which between them have 2 very interesting and unusual features (at least in my opinion) which I don't think have been commented on before. I'd be very interested if anyone could produce a similar example thats to be found here on Earth.
Sure, these interesting and unusual features are undoubtedly of natural origin but even so, still hard to understand how such features came to be.

Ok, here's an image showing the 3 volcano's mentioned above.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/881bd86d27cd.jpg[/atsimg]

The 1st of the unusual features is that they are (as far as I can determine) placed on the martian surface in such a manner that a straight line can be drawn through their exact centers ... as far as I can see the deviation of the 3 volcano centers from the straight line are pretty much close to 0 ... this alignment accuracy is amazing.

The 2nd of the unusual features is that, to an accuracy of a kilometer or so, Ascraeus Mons is 747 kms north of Pavonis Mons ... and Arsia Mons is 747 kms south of Pavonis Mons.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/286761382eed.jpg[/atsimg]

So here we have 3 huge volcano's ... positioned exactly on a straight line aligned through their centers AND with an identical distance separation of 747 kms between them.

I would love to understand how Martian geology was able to pull of such an incredible fluke of "blind accuracy" ... not once but twice with the same 3 geological objects !

edit on 13/9/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
No time to double check your calculations, but if its anyone's calculations I'll trust its yours. Assuming its all legit, then that's very interesting. But we've got no reason to believe its anything out of the ordinary and until we do it'll just remain one of those things where random isn't so random after all.

Nice find by the way.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have never seen this before, this is just another undeniable piece in the Mars puzzle as to what went on and what is really on the Red Planet.
S&F

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
No time to double check your calculations, but if its anyone's calculations I'll trust its yours. Assuming its all legit, then that's very interesting. But we've got no reason to believe its anything out of the ordinary and until we do it'll just remain one of those things where random isn't so random after all.

Nice find by the way.

Thanks for that vote of confidence, serbsta ... much appreciated !

And yes, I'm in agreement with you that whatever the mechanism that caused such an incredibly accurate alignment, that it was almost certainly natural in origin ... no little green martians need to become involved

But I have to say that Mars certainly is choc-full of interesting and eye-opening surprises that keep on coming !

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
I'm going to use this thread to jump on the ever popular Mars bandwagon.
However, I will NOT be showing yet another in the long line of Martian "artifacts" purporting to be indisputable proof of the past or present existence of aliens and/or their technology. We already have sufficient numbers of threads along those lines.

Instead, I'm going to show a group of well known surface features comprising 3 volcano's (Ascraeus Mons, Pavonis Mons and Arsia Mons) which between them have 2 very interesting and unusual features (at least in my opinion) which I don't think have been commented on before. I'd be very interested if anyone could produce a similar example thats to be found here on Earth.
Sure, these interesting and unusual features are undoubtedly of natural origin but even so, still hard to understand how such features came to be.

Ok, here's an image showing the 3 volcano's mentioned above.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/881bd86d27cd.jpg[/atsimg]

The 1st of the unusual features is that they are (as far as I can determine) placed on the martian surface in such a manner that a straight line can be drawn through their exact centers ... as far as I can see the deviation of the 3 volcano centers from the straight line are pretty much close to 0 ... this alignment accuracy is amazing.

The 2nd of the unusual features is that, to an accuracy of a kilometer or so, Ascraeus Mons is 747 kms north of Pavonis Mons ... and Arsia Mons is 747 kms south of Pavonis Mons.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/286761382eed.jpg[/atsimg]

So here we have 3 huge volcano's ... positioned exactly on a straight line aligned through their centers AND with an identical distance separation of 747 kms between them.

I would love to understand how Martian geology was able to pull of such an incredible fluke of "blind accuracy" ... not once but twice with the same 3 geological objects !

Very interesting ... for a natural geological phenomenon. Just as interesting ... if not more so is the other crater to the left of the line ... is that another volcano ... and without getting my ruler out it does look to be well synchronized with the othere ... it would certainly join up to make a triangle (pyramid) ... how do the lengths measure up in comparrison to the line ?

Woody

>>> I just took another look at the 1st image ... and with the naked eye it looks like ... if you were to draw a line from each of the 3 'row' volcanoes ... to the 'volcano' on the left ... it would be about twice the distance as that between each of the 3 'row' volcanoes.

edit on 13-9-2010 by woodwytch because: adding a comment

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Maybe they were big and brown instead? We have no clue what's there or what caused it. Maybe, these are immense exhaust valves for whatever powerplants are being run underneath the surface. Who knows, possibly an advanced civilization was forced to live underground thousands of years ago and this is where they dwell now.

Or maybe it's just three volcanoes in perfect alignment with each other.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Very interesting ... for a natural geological phenomenon. Just as interesting ... if not more so is the other crater to the left of the line ... is that another volcano ... and without getting my ruler out it does look to be well synchronized with the othere ... it would certainly join up to make a triangle (pyramid) ... how do the lengths measure up in comparrison to the line ?

Woody

>>> I just took another look at the 1st image ... and with the naked eye it looks like ... if you were to draw a line from each of the 3 'row' volcanoes ... to the 'volcano' on the left ... it would be about twice the distance as that between each of the 3 'row' volcanoes.

That volcano to the left is Olympus Mons ... the highest volcano in the entire solar system !

And yes, I had also considered the possibility of some kind of alignment with the other 3 volcano's but unfortunately Olympus Mons is located just a little bit to far north. Otherwise there could almost have been an almost identical distance between Olympus Mons and Ascraeus Mons ... and between Olympus Mons and Arsia Mons.
Would have been incredible to have linked all 4 volcano's together in such a fashion !

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Perhaps these formed at a time when Mars had its own form of plate tectonics...

...that is, suppose there was at one time a geological "hot spot" under Mars' crust, and this part of the crust moved over that hot spot at a constant speed, and that hot spot flared up 3 times on a regular schedule.

That would be a geologic process that could cause this. It is something like the way the Hawaiian archipelago was formed. There are other places on Earth that volcanoes formed in chains above hot spots.

Information on Hotspots: Geologic Hotspots

edit on 9/13/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: format/added link

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

That would be a geologic process that could cause this. It is something like the way the Hawaiian archipelago was formed. There are other places on Earth that volcanoes formed in chains above hot spots.

Information on Hotspots: Geologic Hotspots

But can any similar earthly examples be produced and shown that have such an incredibly perfect geological alignment and inter-item spacing over many 100's of kilometers as these 3 martian volcano's demonstrate ?
I'm not aware of any such examples .. .and the Hawaiian example only demonstrates a rough similarity.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

The physical locations of these three volcano's does indeed look extremely curious, especially for geological features that one would expect to have developed/evolved over time separately from each other. Its certainly difficult to think of any geological process that would work to create such accurate placement of 3 volcano's.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

The Earth (and the example of the Hawaiian islands) has another process at work -- Heavy duty erosion.

It's not an accident that the older Hawaiian Islands are also the smallest ones -- increasingly smaller as they get increasing older going from east to west. The Hawaiian Islands could have each started out as the same size and in line, but erosion over the past millions of years have worn them smaller and in an uneven manner.

Yeah -- it's geologically interesting for two volcanoes to be regularly spaced away from a third, but it's not something I would say requires there to be some intelligence/artificial construction behind it all. There is definitely a natural process that could cause that.

Originally posted by afoolbyanyothername
... Its certainly difficult to think of any geological process that would work to create such accurate placement of 3 volcano's.

Well, to be completely accurate, there are only two that are in a precise alignment away from the other "third" one. That other one isn't necessarily aligned with anything.

edit on 9/13/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

The Earth (and the example of the Hawaiian islands) has another process at work -- Heavy duty erosion.

I would tend to classify untold millenia of constant and continuous meteoric bombardment of the martian surface as definitely falling under the label of extremely heavy duty erosion !

Yeah -- it's geologically interesting for two volcanoes to be regularly spaced away from a third, but it's not something I would say requires there to be some intelligence/artificial construction behind it all. There is definitely a natural process that could cause that.

In my OP I categorically stated that I was NOT invoking any kind of intelligence and/or technology in their origin. I'm merely making the point that for 3 objects to be in such perfect alignment with one another and to be so exactly and evenly spaced apart, is extremely rare in nature and was asking for similar examples here on Earth for comparison purposes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Hawaiian islands are similar but don't even come close to matching the 3 martian volcano's in precision.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

I would tend to classify untold millenia of constant and continuous meteoric bombardment of the martian surface as definitely falling under the label of extremely heavy duty erosion !

Obviously the processes of erosion on Earth are greater than on Mars -- as evidenced by the lack of evidence of the same erosion process you mentioned -- impact craters.

Impact craters are very hard to find on Earth (most being eroded away to nothing) while they are evident on Mars. It seems meteor impacts -- while certainly contributing to erosion -- are not as powerful an erosion device as Earth's weather. Earth's weather erosion (and ongoing geological processes) is so much more powerful that it has erased its own craters.

Back to Hawaii...Maui, Oahu, and Kauai are three island that are roughly the same size, equidistant, and in a straight line. 100 million years ago, and ignoring weather erosion, it is a very possible that these volcanic islands could have looked similar to these three volcanoes on Mars

In my OP I categorically stated that I was NOT invoking any kind of intelligence and/or technology in their origin. I'm merely making the point that for 3 objects to be in such perfect alignment with one another and to be so exactly and evenly spaced apart, is extremely rare in nature and was asking for similar examples here on Earth for comparison purposes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Hawaiian islands are similar but don't even come close to matching the 3 martian volcano's in precision.

You're right -- my bad.

I must have got caught up in some of the responses to the OP.

edit on 9/14/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think it is time you know the truth. 904,031 earth years agaio a large meteor hit mars destroying 99.9% of the surface our civilization was destroyed . The very atmosphere was lost to space and we who were a peaceful race
we dieing .In a last ditched attempt to replenish our atmosphere we drilled 3 holes on one of the few active fault lines left on the planet in hopes that the three volcanoes that would be created from this endeavor would put enough gasses back into the atmosphere thus saving our planet and our species .
But our calculations were off and the hoped for effect didn't accrue .
the few of us who were left at this time decided our only chance left was a larger planet much closer to the sun .
we put the last of our resources into building a ship in which to escape our fate .
only to see you evolve into the violent greedy destructive species you are.
The reason why I am telling you this now is our planet died through no falt of our own and we worked our hardest to save it.
Here you have this beautiful planet that is teaming with life in ways which mars never came close to .and yet you your self kill and destroy it and it is very quickly getting to the point in which earth will die just like mars .
stop now before it is to late.
PS DICLAMER (((((((This is my Brian This is my brain on WAYYYY to much SCIFI. Get the picture .

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Those aren't volcanoes! Those are exhaust ports!
Mars is a ship! Mars is a ship!
That is all.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Here is an image of a natural process in which you see rocks of almost identical size and shape spaced at regular intervals not the same scale as the mars pic but it shows that what seems unnatural can be totally natural.

www.irishviews.com...

The Giants causway in Northern Ireland.

Check google images for more pictures of it .

edit on 16-9-2010 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Here is an image of a natural process in which you see rocks of almost identical size and shape spaced at regular intervals not the same scale as the mars pic but it shows that what seems unnatural can be totally natural.

www.irishviews.com...

The Giants causway in Northern Ireland.

Check google images for more pictures of it .

edit on 16-9-2010 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

I agree with you that there are similar examples of regularly spaced geological formations here on earth. But I'm not aware of any such formation that has separation distances exceeding 100's of kms between members of the formation nor any that are so incredibly perfectly aligned over such a vast difference.

The Giants Causeway that you showed is a marvelous example of a repetitive geological formation but this repetition exists across only a very small distance and location. I'm still trying to come up with a natural geological process that could create 3 huge volcano's with the exact same spatial distance separation between the 1st and 2nd volcano, and the 2nd and 3rd volcano ... and then align all 3 volcano's exactly on a connecting line drawn through their centers with ZERO deviation.

I know there has to be a natural mechanism or process to explain it but darned if I can think of one or even find just one similar example here on earth on the same scale.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I still say this very interesting Oly. Mons is sitting off to the left in the exact middle like the middle volcano?

This all looks like one hell of a coincidence!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

or should I say, cant you still make a triangle with the 3 in a row as the base and Oly. Mons as the top?

Distance of O.M. just makes it a tall pyramid. Thats hard to believe that four natural volcanos all huge make a triangle isnt it?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I see.. It's a three-titted planet!
Behind you! A three-titted planet!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join