It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming Double Dip...25k US Dollars? What would you invest in now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Considering there is a coming "Double Dip" Recession that everyone is talking about,
what would you invest 25k US Dollars in? (or would you not invest at all now???)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It would depend on what the goal of the investment would be. Also, what's the time horizon: short term, intermediate, long term? If I didn't need the money for ten years or more I'd invest in a Vanguard index fund, with a bond index fund as well. Maybe an 80/20 allocation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a gun and all the ammo you can buy.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As the other poster said, you should first get a gun, preferably a rifle with a high capacity magazine and at least 1000 rounds of ammo. After the weapon, I would invest in commodities if I were you. As far as metals, I would stay away from gold and instead go with silver, titanium or even rare-Earth metals that is used in digital technology. Furthermore, I would make sure that I have the metal in my possession, instead of any kind of bond.

With that being said, a weapon should be your first priority because that could be your most valuable asset when the inevitable comes.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I know you're not supposed to say "I agree", but in this case I do. Those metals have a purpose rather than just as a store of wealth. Course we're only (only?) talking about 25k. If we were talking 25 million, then gold buried under the streets of Zurich in the name of a Nevis company owned by a panamian trust.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'd buy a condo in Baja, a case of Corona and go fishing!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As has already been said...

Without specific investment goals and timeline we are dealing in broad generalities... That being said, if you think you can time the market on a second dip, then a no load index fund, like a total market is a good way to go. My personal feeling is that there are too many variables to properly answer the question.

My two nanners...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by theprofessionalnyc

FYI... the wife and I bought our little mini farm at a foreclosure sale for twelve thousand seven hundred... plus change... to date we've spent about another 12K making repairs and getting the old place up and running... but in less than six months here... were already taking more food from our place then we do the store... freash eggs chickens as well as all the veggies... I say that's a win win and great investment...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
25 k is not a lot, but I would invest in some agricultural land, a wind turbine (about 800 $ for a 1.5 kw), some 300 watts solar pannels and a cheap trailer/caravan. Some UK raport said the other day that we will need 18 years to recover the job market, so I would deffinitely put my money into self-sufficiency . As the above post said, it is a win-win, you cant loose even if things will go better (i do not believe they will)

edit on 13-9-2010 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Rifle, hand gun, shot gun, 1,000 each for all 3 guns, MRE's and a good place to hide out. or just put it in the stock market and watch it evaporate in front of your eyes.

I say put it all on black and see where the ball lands. Its a better play then the stock market right now.

edit on 13-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: added stuff

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Gold, or Teeth, maybe gold teeth?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
That was too funny Lysergic, "gold teeth". LOL

On another note, you may want to look into options trading or betting that a company goes south and then use your own general knowledge and experience in deciding which companies to either bet for or against. Just as Mirthful Me said, there are a whole lot of different variables to consider, such as your goals, expectations, investment experience, general knowledge of an industry or company, various investment markets, etc...

With that being said, one can assume that you don't have much experience with investing (like me), otherwise you wouldn't be asking for investment advice on ATS (unlike me). If that is the case, then I suggest you go with optionsxpress or some other easy DIY brokerage. I opened an account with optionsxpress just before the stock market crash of '08 and my timing couldn't have been more perfect, though like an idiot and the novice I was, I used the money made with the options to jump into stocks when the stock market was so low. While it sounded like a good idea (and still does), I'm almost back to where I started, after the options of course. Moral of the story? Options have been good to me, stocks havent.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

After I would pay the tithes on the $25,000.00,
Mama would have a new kitchen in her house.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Spend half of it on women and beer,
Then just waste the other half

enjoy,

PEACE,
RK

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
During the last big flu scare, I noticed a lot of people were buying hand sanitizer. It seems like that would be a good bet.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

FYI... the wife and I bought our little mini farm at a foreclosure sale for twelve thousand seven hundred... plus change... to date we've spent about another 12K making repairs and getting the old place up and running... but in less than six months here... were already taking more food from our place then we do the store... freash eggs chickens as well as all the veggies... I say that's a win win and great investment...

I think you get the prize!

I've had a similar decision lately. But gold and silver would be just darn silly when the roof is letting in the rain etc. So I paid off most of the mortgage, some will go on repairs, some will go on chickens and other supplies.
I think - unless you are very comfortably off, the money should be spent on practical things. It depends what you think will happen too. You can't eat gold.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
PNC Bank (here in the United States) my Bank, suggested I go with a Group Investment Family called "The Franklin Investment Group Portfolio" which colaborates on a number of DIFFERENT foreign (NON USA Companies or US Companies whos Headquarters are Outside the USA or are owned by companies), rather, that are outside of the USA).

I can keep the money in an investment for 10 years but I need to then used the Cash to buy a home.
I am not experienced in investments at all.

edit on 13-9-2010 by theprofessionalnyc because: mispelling of "foreign"

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If you are interested in doing foreign stocks, look into Euro Pacific Capital. We're happy we did.

We trust Peter Schiff, and you get dividends regardless of whether the stocks go up or down.

www.europac.net...

Not so sure I would trust a bank right now.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Bingo! Gret advice if you want to actually make money.
I have a Prudential Bond fund making over 10%.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

In case a lot of you don't know this...
updating my kitchen could be considered an
investment.Having an updated, functioning
kitchen helps the house to sell.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join