It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, I have only one thing to say to you

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You my friend are the bigoted one!!! I am simply sharing my opinion. It in its self is just an opinion. Your post seems to imply that I am not allowed to have an opinion or share my opinion... Is that very christian? Your a fake wanna be bible pusher.. Showing the same intollerance that all religions convey!

You are a pathetic mess!!! All you can do is scorn the words of others without any helpful insight into the matter.
I would continue on, but all would be lost on the likes of you!

Do humanity a favor, and attempt to evolve..... The world is evolving and people like you are holding us back!!

edit on 13-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

If your shameful disregard for other people is typical of atheistic human view, you can keep it. It is rather amusing that atheists are quick to decry the evils of religion, while embracing such ignorant, bigoted and obscene views such as you profess.

I agree that Mobius1974 phrased his statement very disagreeably. However, there really isn't anything ignorant, bigoted or obscene about the idea that Jesus's parentage might have been somewhat less than divine. It is a perfectly reasonable suspicion; indeed, the peculiar thing is that Christians expect it not to occur to someone listening without prejucice to the far-fetched and threadbare narrative of the so-called Immaculate Conception.

'A god made me pregnant' was a standard excuse made by round-heeled girls in the days when daddies and big brothers could still be made to believe it. All mythologies are full of that stuff; the Greek gods were forever knocking up mortal women. All the heroes of classical myth, from Hercules to Theseus, were engendered thus. It is perfectly likely--given that among the Jews of the time, as among today's Muslims, the punishment for an adultress was stoning to death--that Mary made up the whole immaculate conception story to get herself out of trouble. Certainly Joseph wasn't very keen to buy it--see Matthew 1:19.

Yes, you clearly have no moral compass, save your own personal attributes of prejudice, dishonesty, cruelty and bigotry. Probably lets you fit in nicely with the rest of the racists, homophobes and degenerates with whom you share so much.

Are suggesting that atheists have much in common with racists, homophobes and degenerates? Come now.

edit on 14/9/10 by Astyanax because: to avoid unnecessary half-measures.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Yes, you clearly have no moral compass, save your own personal attributes of prejudice, dishonesty, cruelty and bigotry. Probably lets you fit in nicely with the rest of the racists, homophobes and degenerates with whom you share so much.

Are suggesting that atheists have much in common with racists, homophobes and degenerates? Come now.

Not atheists, no. But bigoted atheists, such as this person, yes. There is no difference between the hatred that he expresses at people of faith than the hatred that racists have for any other race, or homophobes have for those of other sexual orientations.

You are entitled to your belief or lack thereof, and I will respect and defend your right, regardless of what I personally think of it. But I do not lump cruelty, prejudice and bigotry in with behaviours which are defensible. They are the poison that kills society.

In America, the only people that it's acceptable to hate are those of faith -- whether it's Christians hating Muslims, Muslims hating atheists, atheists hating Christians. It is time for this to stop.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Have you been professionally "checked out"? Seriously.. I find my version of events just as easy to believe as yours.. Actually it is more probable that I am right..

How am I bigoted... How am I racist? explain these things... If you can call someone names.. be ready to clarify.
How am I hateful? I actually feel bad for you and others that require religion to live a good and fulfilling life..

You are typical... Just because I called YOUR holy mother a whore.... Do you know with 100% certainty that she wasn't?

There is the gimick in this whole mess... I can't prove that the bible is rubbish.. and you cant prove that it isn't..

Religion is the only thing on this planet that is 100% faith based...

So asexual reproduction happened ONE time in history?

I see your point.. I am allowed to have my own opinion... but I have to word it so it is pleasing to you.. Thats grand!!!

You have it all wrong BTW... Athiests don't hate religions. Hate is for you fanatics to hold and exact on eachother..

Unfortunatly we are forced to live in a world that is constantly in conflict over your gods and your beliefs!!

edit on 14-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
How am I bigoted... How am I racist? explain these things... If you can call someone names.. be ready to clarify.

Bigotry is the intolerance of beliefs which are not your own, as you have expressed so adroitly. I did not call you a racist, I said that you fit right in with them.

A racist hates others, regardless of who they are, because of the colour of their skin.

A homophobe hates others, regardless of who they are, because of their choice of who to love.

You hate others, regardless of who they are, because of a belief that they hold.

Why are you troubled to be lumped in with others who have irrational hatreds like yours?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You did not answer one of my questions... I never said I hated you or others that believe in "the man in the clouds that grants wishes" I just gave my opinion...

What you have done is this.. You took my statement "Mary was whore" and turned that into.. I HATE RELIGIONS..

This could not be further from the truth.. i envy you.. I wish i could make myself believe in this fantasy that you believe in.. I would love to think I would see my dead loved ones again... Unfortunatly.. only in pictures will I ever see them again.

I will retract the statement "Mary was a whore" .. She was not paid ...therefore she wasn't a whore... She was simply a slut.

Could you please point out where I said I hated others simply because of their belief. It would help me figure out how you work... By that I mean .. I need to know what cypher you use to take people words and twist them to mean what you want or think they should mean.

edit on 14-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by minute2midnight

Heaven and Hell are states of mind.....

So while you go through life judging people and adhering to the words of men written in a story book, worrying about your every little decision and whether or not the man in the clouds is pleased or angry with you...

I'll go through my life enjoying my time here, treating people with respect and making heartfelt communication with other human beings... pondering life and enjoying meeting people from all walks of life and religious persuasions and so on.

I don't need an insurance policy.

Any God who punishes someone for not revering them or praying to them, even though the person has lived a good and honest life, Is not worth worrying about in my opinion.
And a god who allows the suffering and cruelty and misery that people endure in life... is not much of a God in my opinion either.

God is an ass

edit on 14/9/10 by blupblup because: Link didn't work.....hmmmm

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I will retract the statement "Mary was a whore" .. She was not paid ...therefore she wasn't a whore... She was simply a slut.

The fact that you would say something like this is sufficient evidence of your hatred, negating your statement that you are not hateful. Believing otherwise merely adds stupidity to the list of traits that you exhibit here.

Whatever, go ahead and relish in your bigotry, you have demonstrated that your opinion is of no consequence (to this thread and, to be honest, to any other. ATS provides an "ignore list" for a reason -- welcome to mine.)

I only hope that one day you grow up and realize that crudity and cruelty are not admirable traits in a civilized society. The world is a negative enough place without bigots like you, drunk on the power of a keyboard and no visible consequences, spewing irrational hate for no purpose apart from self gratification.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

LoL... Again.. the intolerance of religion.. .. Should I sweeten up my words? Can't I have my opinion?

I have been ignored by much more worthy folks than you... You are nothing more than a follower that requires no facts ... just the promise of something greater.. So you do tricks for treats basicly..

You are the bigot.. you are the one with hate.. I dont have any individual group/race/religion .. I hate everyone equally, the ignorant close minded ones..

Another case of religion showing its intolerant head!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

So... I decided to look through your posts... Wow .. do you push religion on people enough? You center yourself on religious threads.. I see why you would get all upset over my comment... This is your life. I didnt mean to offend you.. But I also didn't care if I did. I dont find your religious talk offensive.. If I did, would you tone down your religious banter? Of course you wouldn't... You need to spread "the word"!!!

Hand me your cheerios .. I need to pee.. here goes!!
There is no god.. When your dead, your dead!! WORM FOOD.. Religion was created as a civilization control.
It has also been proven to assist mentally weak individuals deal with death and dying.
The basis of christianity was taken from religions thousands of years prior.
Its nothing but a recycled civilization control...

Ask yourself this...
When did dinosaurs exist?
Do I really believe that asexual reproduction has happened in humans?
With thousands of religions.. what makes me think mine is right?
I worship Jesus... but he was banging a whore Mary M... Is he really holy?
Would you believe your wife if she came home and told you god got her pregnant?

It is all so laughable to me...It seems as though 1 ounce of common sense will show the truth.
BUT... I do not hate nor do I have an problem with people of religion. I dont understand it... But I do not hold your beliefs against you....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is an iteration of Pascal's Wager, and it's fundamentally flawed. First of all there seems to be an assumption made that you lose nothing by worshiping while you're actually spending money and most importantly time for a fallacy. If the atheists are right, and you'd be the first with evidence to the contrary, then every moment you've spent with your hands clasped, every Sunday morning, every minute of reverence and every nickel or dime donated to the church is WASTED, gone, it makes your present life all the more meaningless.

Secondly, you run into the issue of will, you're assuming that I'm an atheist by choice, which is only partially true, once I broke away from the church that was was forced (gently mind you, I wasn't indoctrinated or anything) on me since childhood I came to realize that I can't believe, I mentally cannot fathom what religions spew out. They're outdated, ancient, they don't provide real answers about knowledge or morality. In the same way that you can never convince me the sky is red, you'll never be able to convince me that God, especially the stupid, cruel, petty Abrahamic one exists.

Finally, it's doomed from the very get go. You're ignoring all other religions, given that every religion has the same amount of evidence to back it (which is a big fat zero by the way) you're really jumping the gun that A. God exists and B. He's YOUR God. Who's to say that because I've avoided Allah's hell, that I haven't gotten myself into Brahma's hell? So how do I avoid hell, worship every God? Oh yeah, most deities are described as jealous and spiteful, so if I do that, maybe they'll all have a go at me when I'm dead.

Religion:
-Fails at logic.
-Fails at morality.
-Fails at providing purpose.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight
If I'm wrong, and there is no God, then there is nothing to worry about. No harm, no foul. Death then blackness, nothingness.

If you're wrong, you're all screwed. Forever.

I may not be a good enough person to get ushered to the front of the line, but you all have a one way ticket.

And would God rather have someone rushing to the front of the queue based on being good just out of the power of their belief and punishing good atheists to an eternity of hell?

Because i've heard some people do terrible terrible things and beg for forgiveness, whilst others go through life without ill thought and without needing the promise of heaven or the punishment of hell to support their deeds.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Of course, you don't really know that these places exist, so you're just taking out insurance.

Nobody ''knows'' anything.

It's a complete fantasy to think that there's some general collective ''knowledge'' that people can lean on, in an attempt to give their own personal beliefs credence.

What everybody ''knows'' is based on personal experience and interpretation only, and nothing else.

A lifetime of mental confusion due to the need to avoid obvious logical conclusions your religion will not let you accept;

Flaw number one: Assuming that human logic can provide an accurate answer to life and existence.

Flaw number two: Assuming that people who have faith, live in mental confusion.

If anything, I'd think that people who think that they have ''all the answers'' through faith, have a greater, more consistent mental equilibrium than those that wilfully acknowledge that they have no answers ( those without faith ).

A lifetime of delusion, refusing to see what is clearly before your eyes;

Aha !

What you actually mean is: ''A lifetime of delusion, refusing to see what is clearly before My eyes''.

Tell me, what is ''delusional'' in terms of the human mental disposition, and what isn't ?

You are obviously going to have to provide some grounds for your definition of ''delusional'', vis a vis, in your definition of a normal ''non-delusional'' human mentality.

You'll also have to argue successfully, why an arbitrary mental state is ''delusional'', and why another arbitrary mental state, isn't.

Of course, you will be incapable of doing so.

A lifetime of failure, forever falling short of impossible (and unnecessary) standards of behaviour.

I'm not a Christian, but I'm a perfectionist.

What's wrong with setting the highest possible standards for yourself, and when you fail to meet these standards one time, trying harder to meet them the next time ?

''A lifetime of failure'' is how a forlorn pessimist would describe the never-ending quest of people like me; constantly improving my philosophy on life, through experience, and attempting to help and improve the world around us, with the aid of the experience gained.

A lifetime of excuses and justifications for falling thus short.

This doesn't make sense. Perhaps projection ?

Only those that fail to acknowledge their own shortcomings, would make excuses for falling short of any ideals.

A lifetime of entirely avoidable and unnecessary guilt and shame.

You appear to be preaching a nihilistic philosophy, here.

Not that I disagree with the nihilist perspective, from a fundamental, philosophical viewpoint, but you can't claim that ''guilt'' and ''shame'' are unnecessary in the Christian teachings, any more than you can accept that those traits are necessary in a non-religious situation, such as they are in modern society.

Originally posted by AstyanaxPlus, if you are wrong, you will have wasted your life living and believing a crippling lie.

LOL.

Isn't this just the absolute opposite of ''Pascal's wager'', without any kind of logic ?

If you believe in a religion, then you won't know whether it's true until you've died.

If there's nothing after death, then you're not going to ''know'' that you've wasted your life believing in something that's not true, are you ?

In addition, if there really isn't any more to life than a corporeal existence, then who is to say that living your life believing in something that's not real, is a life wasted ?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

FACT ... PERIOD!!! Keep believing your 3000 year old book written by drunk lower class ancients!!! I cant have an opinion? Thats hilarious.. A religious person will be the first to tell me I am going to hell, But yet I cant have or speak my opinion.... LOL .. and the hypocracy of religion continues...

Repeat: Mary was a whore that lied to her husband.. Jesus dad was a soldier... Joseph aparently was a nieve gent.

This is completely contradictory.

On one hand, you are saying that it's a ''3,000 year-old-book written by drunk lower class ancients'', while on the other hand, you are attempting to argue against the events, and the status of the people involved in the aforementioned book, by using the Bible as a source of reference ?

edit on 14-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Sapient Warrior, you and I are of one philosophy.

Strange as it may seem.

A star for your post, and more if I had the power to give them.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Of course, you don't really know that these places exist, so you're just taking out insurance.

Nobody ''knows'' anything. It's a complete fantasy to think that there's some general collective ''knowledge'' that people can lean on, in an attempt to give their own personal beliefs credence.

So, like I said... just taking out insurance.

A lifetime of mental confusion due to the need to avoid obvious logical conclusions your religion will not let you accept;

Flaw number one: Assuming that human logic can provide an accurate answer to life and existence.

Flaw number two: Assuming that people who have faith, live in mental confusion.

I'm not talking about answers to life and existence; I'm talking about having to believe in things that commonsense (not to mention logic and science) tells you are false--such as, for example, the Virgin Birth. And anyone who doesn't think religious people live in a state of mental confusion has only to talk to them to discover the truth.

A lifetime of delusion, refusing to see what is clearly before your eyes;

Aha ! What you actually mean is: ''A lifetime of delusion, refusing to see what is clearly before my eyes''.

Well, if it isn't clearly before your eyes that life on Earth is older than six thousand years, I can only offer you my sympathy.

The rest of your response to this point is sophomoric bollocks, I'm afraid.

A lifetime of failure, forever falling short of impossible (and unnecessary) standards of behaviour.

What's wrong with setting the highest possible standards for yourself... ''A lifetime of failure'' is how a forlorn pessimist would describe... tumtytumtytumtytum...

Romans 3:23

The Muslims, Buddhists and all the rest have their own versions.

A lifetime of excuses and justifications for falling thus short.

This doesn't make sense. Perhaps projection ?

Not projection, but confession. Holy Sacrament of the Church, y'know.

A lifetime of entirely avoidable and unnecessary guilt and shame.

You appear to be preaching a nihilistic philosophy, here.

It's called penance and repentance. Duties of a Christian, you know. Other clubs have similar rules too.

Plus, if you are wrong, you will have wasted your life living and believing a crippling lie.

Isn't this just the absolute opposite of ''Pascal's wager'', without any kind of logic ? If there's nothing after death, then you're not going to ''know'' that you've wasted your life believing in something that's not true, are you?

It isn't about what you know after death--an obvious contradiction in terms. It's about what you miss and what you suffer while you're still alive, all for the sake of a holy lie.

In addition, if there really isn't any more to life than a corporeal existence, then who is to say that living your life believing in something that's not real, is a life wasted ?

Ask a random sample of, oh, let's say a dozen people. Then ask another.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

LOL.

Isn't this just the absolute opposite of ''Pascal's wager'', without any kind of logic ?

If you believe in a religion, then you won't know whether it's true until you've died.

If there's nothing after death, then you're not going to ''know'' that you've wasted your life believing in something that's not true, are you ?

No, you're justified in saying that a life is wasted, even if the individual doesn't know it is. You don't need knowledge of the lie you've been living for it to still ultimately be a lie, and a poor life. I'm sure there are impoverished children all over the world who have never known anything different. Would you say to them "Oh, well you haven't really wasted your life, people shouldn't give you an education and clean clothes and nutritious food because you'll never know the difference anyway." If the children in question never knew another life, would their life be justified?

I'm sorry, but a life of blind obedience, a life of fallacy, a life of ignorance is a poor excuse for life, whether you're aware of it or not.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetrarch42
No, you're justified in saying that a life is wasted, even if the individual doesn't know it is.

No, you're not.

Unless you can tell us what constitutes a fruitful life, and what constitutes a ''wasted'' life.

However, you'll be unable to do so, so I suggest you leave it there.

You don't need knowledge of the lie you've been living for it to still ultimately be a lie, and a poor life.

Obviously, you do need knowledge of that, to be living a ''lie''.

You, I, and everybody else, don't know the ultimate truth ( if there is one ) about anything.

Ergo, it's impossible to live a lie, unless you know the truthful answer to existence.

I'm sure there are impoverished children all over the world who have never known anything different

Terrible analogy.

I'm sorry, but a life of blind obedience, a life of fallacy, a life of ignorance is a poor excuse for life, whether you're aware of it or not.

Once again, the ''blind obedience'' is defined by you, and you only.

What fallacies are involved by adhering to a particular religion ?

What's ignorance ? Please define.

What's a ''poor excuse for life'' ?
You appear to be implying that there is some purpose to existence, that you can gauge a ''pecking order'' in one's attitudes to life, and that people's lives can be judged by your own arbitrary, prejudiced, and environment dependent, observations.

Where do you get these ideas of ''purpose'' from ? Where do you get these ideas that you ( an over-evolved ape, amongst many of us ), can make any kind of coherent judgement about your, and our existence ?

My personal conclusion to my above question, is : ego, and self-delusionary thoughts.

edit on 15-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: Messed up quoting.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Sapient Warrior, you and I are of one philosophy.

Strange as it may seem.

A star for your post, and more if I had the power to give them.

Thank you very much for the kind words, and yes... we are usually in agreement on these matters.

Good to know

edit on 15/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight

If you're wrong, you're all screwed. Forever.

You are wrong. There were many atheist NDE accounts that showed that God doesn't care if the person is atheist or not. God cares about how the person is truly on the inside.
www.near-death.com...

Atheists of ATS, live your life to the fullest and do not worry about what Christians say.

edit on 15-9-2010 by sphinx551 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join