It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest Diamond in the Universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Couldn't find any previous post about this.... it's very cool to think our sun could one day go the same way.

Diamond star thrills astronomers : Twinkling in the sky is a diamond star of 10 billion trillion trillion carats, astronomers have discovered.

It's the compressed heart of an old star that was once bright like our Sun but has since faded and shrunk. Astronomers have decided to call the star "Lucy" after the Beatles song, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

The rest of the story can be found here Clicking please

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Wow if we ever could reach and harvest this star, I wonder how the market price for Diamonds would react

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Now that's the type of diamond that would burn a hole in your pocket!

IRM

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
put that dimond on a ring and give it to some one you love

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have suddenly realized my true passion in life! Becoming an astronaut! Anyone know if this thing shows up on google earth? I need to go mapquest and find the quickest directions to ol' Lucy.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

what is the price tag on that? can earth produce enough money for someone to buy it?

we'll start the bidding at two arms and two legs....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
some think Jupiter has a diamond core.

it's all carbon anyway.

why wouldn't anyone think less of this theory.

which makes space faring pirates stupid.

if you can get to it, you don't need it. lol! and good luck getting to through the metallic hydrogen.

just like mining earth and mars, for gold, unless you live right in the neighborhood. whoa!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Hahah, they named it Lucy after the Beatle's song?

Leave it to a bunch of nerds to totally miss the fact that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds means '___'!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nagabonar

The price of diamonds is kept artificaly high by De Beers. They have enough diamonds in stock already to crash the market.

Like most resourses on the planet if you strangle the supply you increase its price.

Still cool post though would love to get out in space and look at things like this.

edit on 13-9-2010 by jpmail because: spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Thanks, it really conjures up some mental images just trying to think how this would look, or the general size. I also agree with the above poster, I wonder if they know that the song is about '___', probably and were just going on the title.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Has Elizabet Taylor heard about this yet?

She may marry AGAIN and ask for a special ring

BTW, yes Diamonds are deliberatley over values, I think I heard saphires are actually rarer than diamonds..

Them De Beers are smart cookies, did you know they "invented" the engagement ring??

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
good luck getting to through the metallic hydrogen.

Indeed. If diamonds are what future cosmonauts are after, there's actually an expected fair abundance of carbon planets in the exoplanet probability factoring.

They would have massive diamonds compared to what are found on Terra but a damn sight more accessible than the core of a powered down stellar mass, maybe not "10 billion trillion trillion carats" but in the 10's of 1000's of carats range and a lot of them, a wide range of what are gemstones on Terra will be found in abundance at huge sizes on various forms of Carbon exoplanets.

[I'd hazard, next stop after Mars will be the asteroid belt, because there's a huge amount of gemstone material to be found there, some will be very large when we are able to mine them out.]

And the conditions on those planets may have heavier gravity than Terra, but such forces could be worked around, exoskeletal environment suits which will allow cosmonauts to move on the surface of such planets, high gravity would certainly be an issue but moving around inside robotic suits would negate such forces and machines would be able to remove the diamonds from situ a lot easier than attempting to drill directly into a dead stellar mass like "Lucy", i'm sure the gravity there would likely crush all known alloys even if containing fullerines to increase strength, like they were Aluminium foil and our organics would fail, be crushed, before getting anywhere near the surface of Lucy.

For diamonds, for huge lasers etc as much as for other uses, Carbon exoplanets are where space farers of the future will head to get massive gemstones for whatever uses.

Peace.

edit on 13-9-2010 by DeltaPan because: .deletion and add for whatever uses

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
diamonds the size of the moon and bigger are probably more common than sand.

all you need is gravity which this dimension has plenty of.

flood the market, unfortunately they would be extremely hard to get to.

if we could get a ship load of it, i don't see why?

if there was an application we can use, fine. if just for liz, we don't need them cept for decoration and the that tells you how far tech has gone.

we can mine collapsed stars, ok, but my internet keeps going out in a storm. lol!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Fooks matey.

I doubt very much if powered down/spent stellar masses which have such intense gravity to create huge diamond cores would ever be able to be mined by Humans, maybe our species could create strong enough mining platforms to do the job remotely but i doubt that, if anti gravity technology is developed it may be employed to counter the gravitational forces of a spent stellar mass but i repeat, Carbon planets are much more viable for Humans in the future to get at massive diamonds and other gemstones for use in technologies.

This "Lucy" is interesting in terms of astrophysics/cosmology but it will be utterly inaccessible, so too any similar spent stellar masses out there, i agree, out there in the galactic web they will be common enough and Lucy is just one of the first discovered, i think there will be a lot more carbon exoplanets much nearer than 50 light years away, we are finding so many stellar systems with exoplanets orbiting them now and the tech has only just started being advanced enough to detect them, as time goes on tech will be refined and much improved so detections will be detecting practically every exoplanet out there in our galactic neighbourhood and likely far beyond, in the not too distant future, certainly by the time my son is about my age, 2035-50, and many will be Carbon planets with huge gemstones/diamonds.

Without wanting to sound like a Trekker and all "in the federation there is no use for money" etc, but by the time our species gets advanced enough to get to Carbon planets, i somehow think the materialist values in the past few centuries to the near future will be very different

As such, they won't be mined for vanity, as decorations/jewellery, it will be for extremely high powered lasers and other forms of amplified light technology our species will be bothering to get at such material in the future.

Peace.

edit on 13-9-2010 by DeltaPan because: Change s to t, as to at, typo' - add: and likely far beyond

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
Hahah, they named it Lucy after the Beatle's song?

Leave it to a bunch of nerds to totally miss the fact that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds means '___'!

LOL
2ND

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Imagine the craft that could be built out of the minerals on that star if mined. I have always wondered if you could mine stars like neutron stars for certain powerfull metals.

edit on 9/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaPan

didn't i say that? more or less?

no way we could get to them or if we could, need them.

so pipe dreams for most civilizations.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
I wonder if they know that the song is about '___', probably and were just going on the title.

It isn't about '___'. The song is based off a picture Lennon's son drew which he said was "Lucy in the sky with diamonds". At least, that's what Lennon said and his son backed his claim up years later so I guess it must be true.

This is amazing news though. I just hope that if we eventually go out and explore space we don't start tearing apart stars like this for profit.

edit on 13/9/10 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
They probably want it so they can make a new, solid-diamond space shuttle. I must say it would definitely look pretty schweet

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Well I just picked what diamond I want in my engagement ring! Too bad only an alien could propose to me =( Someone needs to figure out worm holes stat! All kidding aside, this is pretty cool. Thanks for posting up the article!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join