It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singapore accused of sand smuggling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Article

Singapore, one of the world's most prosperous and fastest growing economies, is being accused of expanding its coastline with illegally dredged sand from neighboring states.

Singapore has been importing sand for years and its territory has increased by over 20% in the last half century, but sand imports are now threatening the regional ecosystem and harming its economy.

A report by an independent American watchdog, strongly rejected by the government of Singapore, says the trade causes huge environmental damage in Cambodia, feeding corruption while causing misery to ordinary people.

The government of Singapore, however, has firmly rebutted the Global Witness report, denying it condones sand smuggling or extraction, which breaches source countries' laws on environmental protection. The state says that sand suppliers are private firms buying from other countries who are responsible for policing their own environmental laws.

This is pretty interesting. I dont think Ive ever heard of something like this before. Smuggling sand and expanding the coastline.

I dont really know what kind of damage this can cause to the ecosystem, but Im guessing there is some kind of damage.

I just thought this was pretty interesting and wanted to share this.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This sounds like something from the Monty Python team.

I just can't imagine anyone having such a stupid idea and then carrying it out.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Whole islands in Indonesia have disappeared in the past, due to Singapore needing Sands for its expansion of Land. First and foremost the ones who are supposed to protect Indonesian Shorelines - the Navy and Army are involved in this business via corruption money.

Singaporean authorities claim all is legal, since they only deal with private businesses, and it is the responsibility of the countries and their laws, from where Singapore is getting their sand from.

Luckily though this trade from Indonesia has more or less slowed down or stopped, with the new administration of Indonesia and a harsher enforcement of laws against corruption. Unfortunately, the trade only shifted to other countries such as Cambodia now.

The most funny part is that Singapore claims to be super eco and green friendly . You even get huge fines for throwing a cigarette butt on the streets there.

Singapore accused of land grab as islands disappear by boatload

Ind onesian black sand volcanic island trade is thriving 24 disappeared due to excessive sand mining

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing ,but it is true that i have never heard of smuggling of sand,it is really interesting,but it seems to be a good way in expanding their coastline.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Considering the expected rise of the ocean id say they will loose it all back within fifty years anyways....seems hardly worth the effort...
The price of real estate must be outrageous.
Funny how even islands are not immune to becomming an endangered species these days.....
I guess it goes to show how much we have managed to actually effect the earths systems.

top topics

join