It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist smokes Koran and Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I still don't think you are comprehending the point I am making. I am talking about insulting a person vs. insulting a Belief System. They are not the same thing. (At least not in the West they are not.)

Yours are examples of insulting specific people. "Your face makes me want to hurl", "Here's 20 cents for your mother for last night", "You are a $%^&, get the hell away from me you freak!" These are all personal insults directed at specific individuals. I certainly don't believe I have the freedom to go up to strangers and say these things. Most people would not do these things either because they know there are consequences for doing so.

However, even if this guy was 100% trying to insult Muslims and Christians, it is hardly worthy of abuse or death threats. He was not targeting a specific person or threatening an individual - he was insulting Belief Systems. Now religious/observant folk might argue that Religion is more than a Belief System (e.g. it is a way of life, spiritual commitment, relationship with a deity) but the fact is that it is still only a Belief System with differing levels of adherence.

Do you see the difference?

edit on 14/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: formatting

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I still don't think you are comprehending the point I am making. I am talking about insulting a person vs. insulting a Belief System. They are not the same thing. (At least not in the West they are not.)

Are you agreeing that a person shouldn't be insulted then? So what constitutes what an insult is? Is it you?

Now you are claiming it is OK to insult an idea but not an individual? Am I correct? What is the reason for insulting an idea (Why the hell would you want to insult an idea)? The only reason I can see, is to indirectly insulting its followers, individual followers, which adds up to 1.6 billion people.

If you say criticize, then I would accept it, but when you say insult..

This is like indirectly raping someone, it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't raped them, the victim usually says whether they got insulted, or raped by the comments, or actions.

For example you rape someone using robotics hands, and you are not even in the same building as her where she is locked up, then the cops come to your house and charge you for abduction and rape, then you deny that you raped her because you were indirectly raping her.

See where I'm coming from? Insulting is insulting, if people gets insulted leave them alone, don't harass them, because I'm sure you wouldn't want to be harassed.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well then, we will have to agree to disagree.

I will never accept that somebody deserves to be bashed up or killed for speaking up about a Belief System. Surely true Muslims and Christians would follow the more peaceful passages in their Holy books when dealing with those who insult their Belief System. Otherwise, it is hard not to label them as Extremists.

edit on 16/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: fixed tags

<< 1  2   >>

join