It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist smokes Koran and Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

A lawyer who videoed himself smoking what appeared to be joints made with pages from the Bible and the Koran expects to lose his job at a Queensland university.

In the video, posted on YouTube, Queensland University of Technology staffer [name removed] compares cigarettes made with pages from the two holy texts.

In the clip, titled "Bible or Koran - which burns best?", the professed atheist says burning religious books is no big deal and people need to get over it.

But the Queensland University of Technology, which employs Mr Stewart, is not impressed and has demanded he explain himself.

Atheist burns Koran and Bible

Came across this article on Yahoo! News and I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, I think it is offensive to adherents of the major religions and he should make an apology. It is one thing to make jokes and parodies with religious themes, but it is quite another to publicly burn books that they consider Holy.

On the other hand, I think this whole situation has been blown out of proportion. An apology on behalf of himself and the University he works at seems a fitting punishment. I don't believe he should lose his job over this. He made a bad mistake, but so do many others who get to keep their jobs after harming the reputation of the place where they work.

What do other members think about this strange story?

edit on 13/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: fixed link, removed name from OP

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

holy smokes!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The person is free to do what ever he wants. Right here is the predecessor of Noah's Ark.
en.wikipedia.org...
Epic of Gilgamesh. So you can say he had good reason to light both those plagiarize books up!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I can see his point - and I can see why people will be offended by his actions,

BUT

there is a larger issue here - and a dangerous precedent that will be set in Australia if his actions result in being fired or disciplined at work over this.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Ofensive for some? yes. New? not so much. I think that in an average university campus more than 5 bibles are smoked daily here in Chile. You can get free bibles from evangelists, and rice paper is not free.
I don't see the news here

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Do you know what the real news here is? That some dumb@ss reporter actually thought this was important enough to mention. I really think "somebody" is deliberately trying to cause Americans to lose their collective minds with these reports. In a country of 303 million people somebody is looking for the few idiots that do this. Is there nothing else happening in the US? Anyway, didn't watch the vid, which did he prefer?

edit on 13-9-2010 by ljtg123 because: spelling

Disregard... Saw it is an Australian thing.... Still dumb though...

edit on 13-9-2010 by ljtg123 because: reread OP or ahhh, actually read it..
Sorry..

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What if I went and smoked some of The God Delusion and posted it on YouTube. Would that constitute outrageous behavior worthy of termination?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
We don't have to buy into their silly delusions. If they want to pretend that the bible/quran is a holy book, then that's their loss. The rest of us can burn them all day and night, no problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

Wow, you serious? Didn't realise this was a common occurrence in other parts of the world. Burning? Yes. Smoking? Not so sure. This does not happen often in Australia so it comes across as rather bizarre.

edit on 13/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: reply instead of quote

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Offensive? Yes. Should he have the freedom to do it? Yes.

Newflash: he doesn't live in the middle east.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

The Great Dawkin's sacred words? Are you crazy?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I tend to agree with this man, that burning scripture pages is no big deal, but if you are doing it for no reason other than insulting, that is a big deal.

You go insult someone in their face, or their mom, or their family, trust me, sooner or later you will get hurt. Not everyone will take your emotional abuse lightly, some will convert it to physical abuse against you, and when they convert it, a lot of energy is used, for some reason, angry people will bash you ten times more in the head than relaxed people.

See if there was any purposes for burning these books, other than throwing insults, than I would join you. There is no purpose. Are they suggesting we should burn all Quran and Bibles? Or just one or two to throw some insults at Muslims and Christians?

By the way, I know you are gonna talk about freedom of expression, this is not freedom of expression, this is insult, with such behavior comes responsibility. I bet this man was begging the news paper, the police, everyone to keep his name out of the pages. I'm sure he knows about the Lebanese mafia lol, last time the white skinhead who started the riots against Muslims was forced to apolagize on TV because someone put $5000 on his head, and his family, he went to hiding

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ljtg123
some dumb@ss reporter actually thought this was important enough to mention. I really think "somebody" is deliberately trying to cause Americans to lose their collective minds with these reports. In a country of 303 million people somebody is looking for the few idiots that do this. Is there nothing else happening in the US?

It is actually a newsworthy story, someone is about to loose his job for having exercised his freedom of speech.

That should always be front page news,

If the Bible and the Qu'ran pages he burned belonged to him through a legal purchase, then he can do what he wants with them. The problem is, totalitarian belief systems such as Christianity and Islam believe that they hold intellectual property rights on the texts in those works, call it spiritual copyright if you like. Not only do you not have the right to alter the content, but you cannot even criticize it.

If I decided that Windows Vista was crap and publicly burned the installation CDs (for which I paid), and Microsoft Corp placed a fatwa (death sentence) on my head for doing so, would that be news?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

It is called inappropriate behavior, sometimes the cops lock you up for a week until court date merely for inappropriate behavior.

For example if you go to the street and say f all of you, f all of your moms, f Islam, f your dad, smoke a join using your undies, get naked etc.. Trust me, the cops will come and take you away, because you are causing a scene and you are causing upset in the community.

The above being said, no one needs such a moron in a University where Muslims and Christians goes. Staff always gets fired for inappropriate behavior, for example don't touch a girl's bum, even for humor, that is inappropriate, or someone like you can call it freedom of speech/expression lol

edit on 13-9-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I recall some kids at school using a bible for a spliff.
Can't say i approve, i regard all books as holy.
But it happens, for stupidity sake, no other reason.

This guy in Aus is already paying dearly for this little exercise, he'll probably lose his job too.
That reaction imho is worse than his actions, since the people in charge should not be acting like unhappy kindergarten kids, which they are.

*edit* i spelled "happy" wrong ... which is wrong, really wrong.

edit on 13-9-2010 by harryhaller because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

That is one of the key differences between a Western country and one under Sharia Law. Freedom of Expression allows one to criticise belief systems they do not support. The idea is that you are free to express your view WITHOUT the threat of Death and Violence.

Even if this man smoked pages from both the Bible and Quran for the sole purpose of insulting them, he should not be threatened with violence or killed. It seems as if you would support the actions of Muslim or Christian Extremists hunting this guy down and teaching him a lesson?

----------

The problem with your argument is that it is treating a Religion as a person, when in essence Religion is a Belief System. Would you consider it an insult for a religious Christian to tear up a book on Evolution and smoke it because they want to annoy Atheists who do support the Theory of Evolution?

edit on 13/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: ETA

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Man...those pages are so thin he must have had to use all of Psalms and Genesis.

obligatory 2nd line.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Actually that is not true, I already gave you a scenario you can try in your Western society where you think it is allowed, go insult people in front of their face without your suppose threat of violence or death. You will face violence and death (occasionally). If the law enforcement agency comes, you will be arrested, if they don't come, you will assaulted, or even worse, depends who you insult, will face death.

So you are just making an assumption that somehow you are safe in the West from assault and death from expressing your views, you are not, and I already gave you a scenario you can try to prove my point, or your point.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I think this guy's figured out the secret, how to get to that 'higher' place... you know... Heaven.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The difference is that in your example I would be insulting people, not a belief system. What I am stating is that you are equating one person directly mistreating another person on a personal level ("You stupid moron!") with somebody insulting a Belief System ("People that believe in Ghosts are stupid"). The first one is directly attacking somebody on a personal level, the second one is insulting a Belief System where no person or individual is being attacked directly.

In this particular scenario, the guy was insulting two Belief Systems - but he was not specifically targeting a person on a personal level. People in the West are not completely free, but we ARE allowed to speak out about topics such as Religion, Philosophy and Psychology without the fear of death threats and violence. In the West, an adherent of Islam is legally permitted to criticise Christianity; an adherent of Buddhism is legally permitted to criticise Judaism; an Atheist is permitted to criticise an Agnostic.

edit on 13/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join