It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL POSTERS READ THIS!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sorry about that, I just posted a new topic before I saw this, pretty much everything you asked for us not to have. I asked not favorite guns, but best guns for whatever job. sorry

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I concur with the rest of you about the proliferation of foolish topics. What really gets my goat is the growing number of extremely petty, ultra-nationalistic type of arguments popping up in numerous threads.

These arguments by a certain number of posters are composed entirely of rhetoric and volume.

When confronted with a complete rebuttal of their arguments, they flee the thread, and go to other threads where they post the same useless arguments and attempt to derail the thread with the same flame baits and usual shrill rhetoric, blissfully unconcerned that its been proven to be false in various active threads.

Mods,
Can this kind of third-grade "neener-neeener pfffft" discussion somehow be stopped, or at least limited to one thread, rather than have such garbage pollute other threads?

Or is having to deal with these type of posters the simple nature of the internet?

-Raj

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Speak for yourself my friend

XL5

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The lasers/rail guns thread was good till a point.

If people want to disscus which weapon is better or what ever is better, they should have detailed non-biased links and state the technical facts about whatever. They should list every pro and con and not just "its got a faster bullet" or "china has more soldiers". A topic that CAN have proof attached to the subject matter, should not be based on someones opinnion and bias, it should also have many supporting facts.
Paranormal topics are open to opinnion because no one can get real evidence (that can be tested). I could understand this sort of thing if the weapons were from a game and had no solid spec.s, but a debate about which gun is better should be left chit chat unless there is real proof/evidence of one of the two guns being better.

When compairing different technologies, the same should apply. At least it wouldn't be the same set of variables. How ever, if its in a game, the REAL details of the thing get "improvised and twisted". If there was no war in videogames and it wasn't "cool", you wouldn't see threads with biased "facts" as much, only narrow minded patriots would do that then.

What game system or game is better, no, don't answer.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
hello to everybody!
I'm very sorry but i don't know very well the english language.
I want to say here that i know exactly how the Archimedes mirror was made.
Is that an informacion ineteresting to somebody?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Agreed that the topics should not be diluted but there is no forum on military strategy (and politial fallouts).

maybe we should make one

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod8900
Agreed. I think its quick and easy way some members pick up points.

no more so than this thread would.. there are just as many people out there who like something as those who hate something wither way there is a conflict of opinion but an opinion to be expressed regardless and this is taking advantage of this to the same extent.. instead of asking someone to express an interest in types of weapons and war scenarios (in this case) we as dealing with the opinions of the disinterested. Remember, nobody has forced you to open that thread and read it but discussing such things will help people to gain knowledge of what is around them

DJDOHBOY:

who would win if the ??? and ??? went to war with each other

who has the best army/navy/airforce/secret service........
etc etc ...

Surely thoerising about these subjects is crucial to gain an understanding as to current affairs and what impacts would happen if two nations were to conflict for whatever reason? I am sure that governments all over the world have discussions regarding such matters and therefore is considered to be significant.

DJDOHBOY:
This forum is for information about Military weapons technology past, present, and future.

Please could we get back to threads with genuine interest.

If they had no general interest, people would not reply and the threads would be non existant. I am not aware of any rules in the Terms and Conditions that stipulate that the discussions on thread are subject to sensorship but would be pleased to see you post these rules to make the matter clear to me.

Klep.

[edit on 3/2/05 by Klepto]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hmm...to be honest, I find it hard to see how you can talk about the advancement of weapons without practical implications. If you look at many of the posts such as the China vs. U.S.A. one people factor in if bet radar defence can best the advancements made within aerospace. Surely things like that are also good?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
either the AK 47 or the new XM combat rifle of the Army, and the AN 109(russia's replacement of the AK 74) The new XM rifle is the most advanced assault rifle of all time, and is way better than that OICW piece of crap they were testing a few years ago. it can convert from assault rifle, sub machine gun, sniper rifle, and squad assault weapon in seconds. And from viewing the field tests, it is second only to the AK in terms of reliability. Look for it on the battle field next year as standard issue.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
personally, i would like to hear more about the rail gun, and lasers, well, cool but scary too, eh?
for what it's worth, from a military standpoint, lasers would most likely be preferable given the desire to not have any proof that you've actually fired anything.
that they can be fired at a considerable distance, perhaps even from space adds to that
EG

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
can we do something like whats your favorite tank??? or can u ask people whats the best tank/plane/gun???

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid
can we do something like whats your favorite tank??? or can u ask people whats the best tank/plane/gun???

We're actually discussing this issue right now. The problem is that these threads usually dwindle down into flame wars and intelligent discussion seems to be avoided. Hoepfully we can find a comprimise for this discussion, but for now if you wan't to start one of these threads, do it in BTS Chit-Chat.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
can i ask what weapon is best for what job or something like that???

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Okay guys here is a suggestion if you want to do who would win against who kinda of things, make a story! Research the tactics, weapons systems, and miltary units, and capabilities that each country has. And then make a plot, I'm writing story right know here is the link if anybody wants to join U2 me!

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDOHBOY
Please could members refrain from starting threads that are based around:

what is your favourite gun

who would win if the ??? and ??? went to war with each other

who has the best army/navy/airforce/secret service........
    etc etc ...

Remember when THIS was a friendly suggestion? And yet, for the past week or so, there has been a slew of "favorite" threads...

Perhaps we should start a "What's your favorite religion?" thread. Yeah, that'll get some attention!

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
soothsayer, does your complaint/gripe button work?

seekerof

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks so much for asking!

Think about it this way: The "complain" button is read by how many... a select few, none of which has participated in the favorites game. How would this matter be resolved?

By a board questions thread, something along the lines of "before posting a thread revolving around the discussion or comparisons of favorite (add device here), please be advised that..."

Or I could have reopened this thread, one where more then a select few would read. The readers, naturally, would have clicked on the last post entry, seen the quoted text. Perhaps then they would have read the thread in its entirety (but how often has that not happened?).

Irregardless, more people would have been notified of the situation then what the "complaint" button would allow. But, I suppose, out of all fairness, I probably should have complained/griped. Lord knows we need another thread detailing the same thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Seems like you want to turn the site into the best cooking recipes! Really great idea.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think the problem is people not using the search feature and discussions degenerating into "My country's special forces can beat up your country's special forces!" arguments. I gotta admit, I did come by here when I was googling around to see what was the "best" MBT around at the moment, but I found plenty more to keep me here besides that.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't want to sound too hypocritical or anything, but when you have threads like "What are the best combat boots"... it kind of takes something away from the overall 'seriousness' of the best/favorites genre.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join