It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Soldiers are becoming extremists through extreme environment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Army Sgt. Andrew C. Nicol

Andrew Nicol was the captain of Exeter High School's wrestling team in Kensington, N.H. His coach, Bob Brown, remembers Nicol as a self-assured leader who often imitated Kramer from "Seinfeld" to lighten the team's mood.
He also was someone who was never intimidated and would often make last-minute comebacks with only seconds to spare.

"He was equally as confident in what he was doing (in Afghanistan) as he was on the mat with me," Brown said. "Once you've wrestled, everything else is easy."

Nicol also was active in the Boy Scouts and competed in motocross.

He joined the Army after graduation in 2006 and became an Army Ranger assigned to Fort Benning. In 2009, Nicol and his unit earned the Bronze Star for conducting a raid on insurgents in Iraq that killed six — including the No. 2 leader of al-Qaida in Iraq.

Nicol was on his fifth overseas deployment, leading a team of Rangers on a tactical mission near Kandahar, Afghanistan, when a bomb detonated and killed him on Aug. 8 — just weeks before he was expected to return home.

Army Pvt. Adam J. Novak

Adam Novak had been full of surprises for his family during the past two years.

He joined the Army in 2009 without first discussing it with them, then came home one day and broke the news, his stepfather, Rick Block, said.

Novak met his future wife, Celeste, during basic training, and they surprised his family by marrying in March. They were planning a formal ceremony for autumn before Novak was killed.

The 20-year-old from Prairie du Sac, Wis., died Aug. 27 of wounds from an improvised explosive device in Paktiya, Afghanistan. He was assigned to Fort Campbell.

The 2008 Sauk Prairie High School graduate grew up in Fergus Falls, Minn., where he was a Boy Scout and played soccer and frisbee.

He was respectful, witty and a good conversationalist — "the kind of person you want for a best friend," his former Sunday school teacher, Sandy Richards, said.

Novak was the youngest of five children, including a brother who also served in Afghanistan.

"He always had a great attitude and wasn't afraid to jump in and do hard things," his sister Brooke Warren said.
Survivors include Novak's mother, Sue, and his two brothers and two sisters.

Army Spc. James A. Page

James Page couldn't quite see himself in an Army uniform for his entire career. A skydiving jumpsuit was more his speed, his sister said.

Cristi Page said she and her brother were supposed to go skydiving when he was home on leave earlier this year, but bad weather fouled their plans. They had hoped to do it when he came home in December.
"He was a risk taker," she said.

Even though it wasn't his dream career, James Page joined the military for the sake of his little boy, 3-year-old Jarod. He didn't know he had a son until two year's ago, when an old girlfriend tracked him down and told him the news.

He joined the Army so he could support his son.

"His main goal had always been that when he had kids that he was going to be a good father," Cristi Page said.
James Page, 23, of Titusville, Fla., was killed by a roadside bomb Aug. 31 in Logar province, Afghanistan. He was based out of Bamberg, Germany.

Pfc. Devon Groom, who served with Page, said he would miss the soldier and his solid work ethic.
"He always wanted to go on missions," Groom said.

Read more:
www.google.com...

The point is, these people were good people, but good people become extreme in extreme conditions. These people have been in extreme conditions for 9 years, Afghans have been in extreme conditions for over 30 years, so expect them to act extreme. In order for them to rid extremism, there needs to be stability, that means external forces need to stop their BS in Afghanistan, just because they want to be free from any imperial influence, or control..

The point is, that American soldiers are already starting to kill innocent people, becoming extreme, not to mention killing crowds of people, not to mention killing people for sport and collecting their fingers for trophy. It goes to show, that extreme situation produces extremists. When people talk about Afghan extremists they are speaking out of ignorance, never been to Afghanistan, without wearing the armor, the helmet with their American unit.

These are real people, they have been placed in a conflict where they don't belong. Vinni Paz said it better then me:
www.youtube.com...

""I don't know why I'm over here, this job is evil
They sent me here to Vientnam to kill innocent people
My mother wrote me said the president, he doesn't care
We trying to leave the footsteps of America here
They say we trying to stop Chinese expansion
But I ain't seen no Chinese since we landed
Sent my entire whole unit thinking we can win
Against the Viet Cong guerrillas there in Gia Dinh
I didn't sign up to kill any women or children
For every enemy soldier we killing six civilians

Yeah, and that ain't right to me
I ain't got enough of a mother F**en fight in me
It frightens me
and I just want to see my son and mom
but over here they dropping seven million tons of bombs
I spend my days dodging all these booby traps and mines
and at night praying god to get back alive
and I'm forced to sit back and wonder
Why I was apart of "Operation Rolling Thunder""

..."
Listen to the whole song, you will enjoy it and see it from soldier's view point..

edit on 12-9-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

join