It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XXXX the courts, my license just got suspended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Excuse the profanity but this is bullxxxx. I get pulled over for going 81 in a 65 California freeway zone, cop writes me up and tells me since I am a juvenile that I need to go to court. So I just went and got back and guess what? License SUSPENDED for 30 days. What the hell is with that? Had to pay the fine ($180) but I can't drive for a month, not to work or anything!

My mom who was there with me asked if I could have permission to drive to work and school but the judge said no, more or less.

Does this seem a little extreme to you? I mean, I was speeding, but people on California freeways average around 75. This was my first offense too!

Since I admitted guilt I don't think that there is a whole lot I can do, does anyone have any suggestions at all? I can't believe I can't drive my stang for a month!

I am of the opinion that if you were to drive 65 on a California freeway you would be more of a danger than if you were going 80.

I know that I broke the law and I have to pay for it but isn't this kind of overboard?

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon
I know that I broke the law and I have to pay for it but isn't this kind of overboard?

No it isn't overboard actually. I think you got off easy. Next time just follow the traffic laws and # like this won't happen to you.

[Edited on 22-6-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Easy? Well I mean i guess I could have paid more but I cannot drive for a month and the 2 points are on my record and cant be removed.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon
Easy? Well I mean i guess I could have paid more but I cannot drive for a month and the 2 points are on my record and cant be removed.

Like I said, complain all you want, but you broke the law so you have to pay. It's that simple. whether you think its fair is irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I agree with the courts if you ask me over here in the uk your feet wouldn't have touched the floor along with a fine, points on your license you could have been banned from driveing for a year at least.

Consider your self lucky thats all you got and imagine it you had been going at roughly the same speed in a built up area near a school and you ran over someone for speeding perhaops next time youll think about what speed your traveling at.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
I agree with the courts if you ask me over here in the uk your feet wouldn't have touched the floor along with a fine, points on your license you could have been banned from driveing for a year at least.

Consider your self lucky thats all you got and imagine it you had been going at roughly the same speed in a built up area near a school and you ran over someone for speeding perhaops next time youll think about what speed your traveling at.

Going 81 on an LA Freeway and going 81 in a school zone on the streets are two very different things.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Megalodon, I feel your pain. The justice system is a joke. It seems my drunken friend got off better than you did, because he still had the option to get an occupational license....for the right price, of course.
Speeding on a highway is not nearly as reckless as drunk driving.

I understand they're different states. Who cares about the court system, anyway? Justice is bought these days. :shk:

(sorry for the rant)

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Get a traffic lawyer, they get paid to handle cases like this. There are a million of them here in Canada.

It's a shame your mentioning this a tad too late. See if you consulted with a traffic lawyer, you could have skipped through the court thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I felt bad for you untill you called your car a Stang. Now I think you deserve it. I'm kidding, of course. I think you deserve to be punished but that does seem a little (And I really do mean a little) too much. If it was your first offence, and you were only going 81 it doesn't seem like too much. You shouldn't have been speeding, I would have agreed with a fine, and maybe a shorter amount of time to lose your license...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Consider your self lucky thats all you got and imagine it you had been going at roughly the same speed in a built up area near a school

and imagine

note what I said above: And if they didn't come down hard on you people would carry on doing it over n over thats why we have rules next time just be carefull and watch around you then you wonn't get caught

[Edited on 24-6-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here in Virginia, anything 80 and up is reckless. I got popped at 89 on a deserted highway at about 12:30am on my way to nightshift work. I honestly didn't realize I was going that fast as there was no one else on the road and at that point my car still ran pretty smoothly! (Later I had a built in speed regulator because it shook if I hit around 70! *L*)

I paid a lawyer $300 and she got it busted down to simple speeding, paid a $150 fine/costs and was gone. It burned my butt that by paying $300 they were able to change the actual speed, which was a fact, to something else, just pick a lower number, and I "got off". The guy right before me stepped up, admitted to posession of pot and speeding and walked off with $100 fine/costs. So I'd have been better off to keep it below reckless and have dope on me than what actually happened. The system is rediculous.

Take the hit and don't speed. Honestly, I know it sounds trite, but don't give them anything to tap you for if you can help it.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I say take it on the chin, and learn from it. But, I do think that 65 is a stupidly slow speed restriction.

I had a year ban once. I was very stupid. I was clocked in a 30mph zone doing 130mph on a bike. I got a year ban and a 2k fine, ouch! And to make it better, they locked up my bike for the year and when I got it back, they had slashed the seat and dented the tank (as well as putting 50 miles on the clock).

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
When I got my current job as a truck driver I found out that the previous driver had got two tickets on the same highway in one day. That was a big lesson on not speeding. If you are going to speed in your Mustang make sure that there are no speed traps in the area. It did not seem fair to me at the time but a friend got caught racing and the cop did not show at the court date so he walked away with a free 120 in a 55 ticket with no fine and no points, luckiest person I ever knew.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
A few years ago I was given a company car (I was a field engineer and only needed a small car because all I took with me was my tool kit). It was a Toyota Yaris (nicknamed the 'Pregnant rollerskate
) and that was fine - I didn't mind having a small car since it saved wear & tear on my own.

One of the other engineers who had one warned me that they were somewhat nippy which I found it difficult to believe, but I later discovered that appearance can be deceptive.

The Yaris speedo is a digital one somewhere near the centre of the dashboard, meaning that Pisky kept forgetting to check his speed (I'm used to analogue ones in direct line of sight). One morning on the way to fix a problem in Oxford, I was on the motorway and wondered why it was that everyone was driving so slowly - I was passing them all with ease on the right hand lane. Then I looked at the speedo and decided to slow down. Yes, the Yaris is somewhat nippier than I expected - I was doing 108 and it felt like 70.

Luckily I wasn't caught or I'd have been banned for a year and got my balls kicked by the boss. ANd yes, I did keep my eyes on the speedo from then on.

[Edited on 6-8-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have been driving for 20 something years do I speed heck yes I do, have I been caught? Never not even a parking ticket my record is clean as a whistle I guess some are lucky some are not.

I wonder how your insurance is going to take this ticket. I have two driving children and will kill them if they are caught speeding.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
well thats california. i have to go there for tech school and then im getting the hell outta there

new topics

top topics

join