It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is this star "twinkling" with flashes of red?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm sitting on my porch looking at the stars and I notice that one, to the SE of where I'm at (North Florida) is twinkling with flashes of red.

Don't know if I'm seeing the space station or what, but I swear this star is flashing with red. I looked at the other stars to see if they all do this, but no. This is the only star doing it. Let me see if I can describe it.

The star itself isn't flashing entirely red, it has like...red spots on it's illumination that flash. The red doesn't cover the complete white of the star. At first I thought it was a plane flying because that's what the flashing is similar too, but I've been sitting watching it for over 30 minutes.

Don't know what it is, since if there was something happening in that stars galaxy, it happened thousands of years ago.

If you go outside now, you can see it I guess. Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Download Stellarium and plug in your information: date, time and location

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

If it moves, go to Human Space Flight or Heavens Above and chose your country/state/city to see what satelites are flying over.

edit on September 12th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Been seeing these for the past few nights. Apparently when stars are lower on the horizon they do appear to twinkle different colors. I notice that the same stars many hours later when high in the sky no longer twinkle red. But yeah, when you first see a red, blue, yellow, green flashing star it makes you think WTF.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I just looked at the same star about 20 min ago. The first thing I thought was that it was not really a star and I stared at it for a bit to see if it would move and it didn't.

I'll take another look later, staring at my computer for now.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have been watching Arcturus this month, and it has been behaving in a spectacular fashion! Lots of flashing, brilliant twinkling and shining. I am in Louisiana, and it is in the Western sky for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It is the Eye of Satan. Every time it twinkles it eats a part of your soul.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's a helicopter. Most likely a police helicopter. You'll see them all the time in my area at night. We have numerous of criminals being chased by helicopters.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Do they fly all the way across the Atlantic ?
I've seen the same thing tonight.

It happens when the light travels through our atmosphere and it's called oscillation If I remember correct

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I line in Sacramento, Cali. Like I said they are police choppers. At night they have to turn on their lights unless they could crash or someone will crash into them.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Yeah like I live only about 6000 miles to your right.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Well how long will it take to fly over there lol.

Here's the only video I could find on youtube.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Are you being serious? Do you really think someone doesn't know what a chopper is? I've ridden in plenty. It's much too high up and this star isn't moving.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Humm? well I would have to continue checking. We have several airports here. Could be a private plane then?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
It is the Eye of Satan. Every time it twinkles it eats a part of your soul.

Algol, one of the Stars in Perseus actually means... the winking demon's eye, i believe.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm not seeing helicopters. I live on the gulf coast, and I see antares, and acturus flash deep reds, blues, and violet colors till they drop below the horizon. I've been noticing their (what I call) excessive flashing for about 6 months now. I sometimes get a scope on them to get a better view, but they look normal under magification, so I just figured it was atmospheric effects.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
style="height: 344px; width: 425px"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/fuoXPuAwrZI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"> i filmed this from colton ca

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
there are SO MANY of these threads. search ATS please.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
As jennybee35 said, Arcturus has been twinkling (scintillating) quite a bit -- at least from my vantage point -- and it's colors seem to twinkle between reddish and white.

Arcturus is in the western sky after sunset -- at least here in the mid-latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. You can find Arcturus by following the curve (or arc) out the back of the Big Dipper's handle -- i.e., as astronomers say "take the arc to Arcturus"

edit on 9/12/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

If you are sure on your SE view the only one that would come to mind would be Fomalhaut it rises low in the SE just at dusk but it appears blueish white beyond that I have no clue

edit on 12-9-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join