It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl with magnetic hands

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by EnlightenUp

this knife trick was it like the spoon trick?
is there magnatite in your nose?

how did it work?

xp

It's the same thing really but not as stable. No magnetite needed.

I guess your nose has skin that isn't very furrowed and grips the surface of the material pretty tightly. A little breath condensation on it can help it stick a bit better.

I recall a Chinese (not sure) "magnetic" man that had a difference in his skin where it wasn't very furrowed, but quite smooth, compared to most people. There are videos around about that case.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ed

You are right in a technical sense but Alloys such as Stainless Steel are in all ways that it is practical to describe them in the real world non magnetic, if you hold a magnet up to them they will not stick to it

To clarify I am talking about the kind of magnet that you might come across in any real life situation, not a theoretical infinitely large magnet. If this woman could attract British coins to her body through magnetism then she would be dragged across the street to the nearest bit of Iron in a second

edit on 12-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
The spoon hangs from your nose because of the friction between the two surfaces, if it was because of magnetism you would be able to hang it from you flattened outstretched palm with no problem

Wrong again...

You are right that the spoon hangs from your nose because of friction between the two surfaces... however, you are wrong when saying it has nothing to do with magnetism.

What is friction exactly? It is electromagnetic!

en.wikipedia.org...

Friction is not a fundamental force but occurs because of the electromagnetic forces between charged particles which constitute the surfaces in contact.

edit on 12-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Perhaps she's some sort of gecko-like mutant with nanohairs on her palms that can utilize van der Waals forces.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
What exactly are you trying to prove with this level of pedantry?

The simple fact is that the spoon is not hanging from the nose because of magnetism in the way that it is being suggested by the poster...

If you want to show of your amazing knowledge of physics why would you use it to back up a claim that is patently stupid

What exactly is your point, that people can make coins stick to themselves?
because this is the claim that is being made in this thread and you are just perpetuating it through intellectual grand standing

edit on 12-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I just tried it with some spare change (a Canadian looney and a Lincoln penny). Seems to stick pretty well if there's no hair on the area. I'm gonna try other stuff!

Even my Sansa e260 sticks to my forehead.

(Oh, noes, I'z a freek 2?
)

edit on 9/12/2010 by EnlightenUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

What exactly are you trying to prove with this level of pedantry?

I was trying to prove that you are wrong.

The simple fact is that the spoon is not hanging from the nose because of magnetism in the way that it is being suggested by the poster...

But in reality, it is hanging from the nose because of magnetism in the way that is being suggested by the poster, but not exactly the way the poster suggest.

I was pointing out that all atoms and molecules are tiny magnets. Everything you do in your daily life revolves around electromagnetic forces. A spoon hanging form the nose is all electromagnetic interaction at the atomic scale. Yes, the nose is magnetic, and so is the spoon. They both are made of tiny magnets.

If you want to show of your amazing knowledge of physics why would you use it to back up a claim that is patently stupid

...because it is only patently stupid to those who are.

I am not exactly backing any claim. However, I am pointing to directions which could help people understand how this might be possible. It very well could be possible, especially if you understand the universe.

What exactly is your point, that people can make coins stick to themselves?

My point is, electromagnetic forces are a major part of this universe. People, animals, biological things, could very well be capable of making coins stick to themselves. Especially if their bodies are made of unique amounts of certain elements, and chemical reactions.

because this is the claim that is being made in this thread and you are just perpetuating it through intellectual grand standing

I take it you hate being wrong and are irritated.

I didn't see any real claims yet, all I see are questions, and people asking for investigations. I was just providing information that could support the possibility because I believe anything is possible in this universe.

edit on 12-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

im currently typing with a spoon on my nose and yes it does work
cant get a lighter to stick yet but im sure it will with time
i am reminded of the levitating frog experiment where some things levitated and some things did not
i wounder if a frog will stay attached to my nose

brb

xp

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ed

your right atoms in the body are mini magnets i wounder if
some peoples atoms or even cells are able to produce excess energy
that is then expressed with a positive attraction as in static electricity?

frog is better than spoon but feels slimy

xp

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

im currently typing with a spoon on my nose and yes it does work

That probably explains the sudden drop in post rate in this thread. I wonder how many are trying sticking things to themselves.

CD jewel boxes work on my forehead too, just a hair past vertical even. A guitar is too hard though with the balancing but seems like it could.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

you know i have tryed a couple of things and only the spoon stuck
i think you also have to want it to stick
mind over matter?

xp

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

you know i have tryed a couple of things and only the spoon stuck
i think you also have to want it to stick
mind over matter?

xp

Choose objects carefully. Make sure the surface is quite smooth, preferably glossy. The forehead or any broad, smooth area of skin is better than the just the nose for sure. Use some condensed breath if it doesn't take right away.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed

My point is, electromagnetic forces are a major part of this universe. People, animals, biological things, could very well be capable of making coins stick to themselves. Especially if their bodies are made of unique amounts of certain elements, and chemical reactions.

You say that they could "very well be capable of making coins stick to themselves" on what do you base this on?
Do you have a single verifiable case of a human being producing a magnetic field strong enough to make an alloy that is usually thought of as being non magnetic stick to themselves? Or a single case of a human being magnetic at all in the sense that metal objects stick to them? A single experiment that suggests in the slightest that this might be possible.
Any evidence at all?
Anything?

Do you know of any biologist that claims that what you say is true?

What combinations of "certain elements" are you talking about exactly? which "Chemical reactions?

Do you have anything at all apart from googling the word "magnetic human" and posting the results here?

What exactly is your theory as to how a person could generate a magnetic field strong enough to make an alloy that is usually considered to be "non magnetic" stick to themselves.
How is this theory more reasonable then the theory that they are faking it to make some money?

edit on 13-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

please draw your attension to the photo below as this lady claims to be magnetic to all sorts of stuff

enjoy

xploder

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
So she's basically Magneto from x-men?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

she is a very strange case indeed
magneto yes but also with items that are not normally attracted to clasical iorn magnets
i wounder if we all could do similar things with bio energy

all of us are xmen/xwomen

xp

edit on 13-9-2010 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Thats so cool like a baby Magneto.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Someone isnt paying attention to the source. The author of the report in the OPs link, clearly states that although he is fully aware that this is not true magnetism, it is the name that has been given to the effect, until a more fitting moniker can be applied to it.

Another thing, seems to me that although this phenomenon isnt magnetism , it may be a certain kind of electrostatic action, like when you rub a ballon on your shirt or your hair, and then it sticks.
My mother had a high charge at one point... She used to be able to switch off our home computer by touching the case , make roses hum on train platforms by touching them.
Of course, this would have to be some hell of a rare format of electrostatic energy use, I havent ever heard of something which works by those principles being strong enough to stick a mobile phone to, but there again only twenty five years on the earth so far. Maybe I missed something.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
More people have this ability.
Some interesting examples in the videos below:

And, slightly different but perhaps even more extraordinary: electric man!

edit on 13/9/10 by Movhisattva because: lay-out

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
There should be laws against BS like this.

What about the people who believe the BS?

Should they be legally committed to special facilities where they can be re-educated? Or should we let them run amok were they can help proliferate the BS?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join