It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl with magnetic hands

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I am familiar with Mr. Salva's personal history. I am rather surprised that you don't see the logical fallacy that a person's personal life, no matter how sinister it may be, and it has surely been sinister for many artists/philosophers/etc since the beginning, that it negates the subject of their creation. The presumption there is that a woman can't make a film about men, a straight man about homosexuality, and so on and so forth.

In any case, there is no doubt that there are homoerotic overtones in the movie ... still, the fundamental message within is authentic, and accurate on many levels, most of all in the context presented in this thread.

The universe often presents truths before us with built in reasons to excuse their rejection ... this would be another example of this dynamic. One can easily find 'reason' to discard, but why do so?

edit on 12 Sep 2010 by schrodingers dog because: I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You sound like you know Mr. Salva personally. Anyway, you discounting an unpleasant view, one considering a view in light of controversy surrounding the one chiefly responsible for the creation of the film and the symbolism therein. By writing that post, you attempt to discount me in the process rather than let the work speak for itself and ignore them gems contained therin (let us not forget who called whom a "silly person").

So, in short, I'm not discounting the film itself nor you. I've watched the film and thought it was ok. But Phenomenon came out a bit later and wasn't as creepy.

edit on 9/12/2010 by EnlightenUp because: moar

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

i'll bet euros to dollars that it turns out to be ANOTHER hoax. They'll go to test her and SOMETHING will happen "OH NO MY POWERS ARE GONE" or "I cant use my powers for show" There should be laws against BS like this.

Don't waste your money, instead invest in good old down to earth magnetic attraction of dollar bills. No law against that.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I'm not at all trying to 'discount you' EU, all am I trying to prevent is oversimplified reductionism.

For if we were to take that approach, we might as well discard the creations of half the artists, writers, philosophers, etc, for their personal transgressions. More simply put, when a member posts a thought on ATS do you reject it lest you learn that member's entire personal history and are we to reject yours on the premise that we don't know you?

Come on now EU, this thread is about the possibility of what one might call "magnetism" ... my reference to the movie Powder was clearly made solely in that context. What difference does it make to this particular subject if the creator was a sinner or a saint?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but you seem in this case, and for the reasons you have outlined, to be unable to get past the creator and let the creation stand on its own. Trust me, your moral objection is noted and shared in this regard, and there's a special place for people like that ... it's just that there is so much more to that movie.

And there's no reason for passive aggressive insinuations and veiled associations that I 'seem to know him' simply because I defend the idea of separating ANY artist from their work ... you're better than that.

And yes Phenomenon was a good movie, even though John Travolta is a Scientologist asshat ... see how that works?

Anyhoot, feel free to have the last word or personal jab, any further comment on my part will be restricted to the scope of the topic at hand.

edit on 12 Sep 2010 by schrodingers dog because: I'm a barbie girl in a spellcheck world

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well with all the junk we're putting into the environment, and after tens of millions of negatively mutated human beings over the decades, we're bound to have a few which positively mutate. It's my theory that various dysgenic practices are actually a means to speed up our evolution, while ridding those less able to cope. It's a twofer: population control, and the excitement of a novel creation. My how these elite are oh so unaffected from all the chaos they cause. It's but a means to progress now, right?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I'm not at all trying to 'discount you' EU, all am I trying to prevent is oversimplified reductionism.

That makes me a very sad panda.

For if we were to take that approach, we might as well discard the creations of half the artists, writers, philosophers, etc, for their personal transgressions.

It takes a nut to augment the noosphere indeed. In my case, a good portion of my transgressions are here for everyone to see.

More simply put, when a member posts a thought on ATS do you reject it lest you learn that member's entire personal history...

Never. I do far more reading of others' views here than I do posting my own.

...and are we to reject yours on the premise that we don't know you?

That is your personal choice.

Come on now EU, this thread is about the possibility of what one might call "magnetism" ... my reference to the movie Powder was clearly made solely in that context.

I'm sure, but why did you focus upon that portion the response I made and the response to another posters' inquiry about why I mentioned it rather than the questions that followed concerning how this should be approached, which was more relevent to the topic?

What difference foes it make to this particular subject if the creator was a sinner or a saint?

You slipped on a Freudian banana peel there!

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but you seem in this case, and for the reasons you have outlined, to be unable to get past the creator and let the creation stand on its own.

Actually, that has relevence to religion, spirituality and paganism.

Trust me, your moral objection is noted and shared in this regard, and there's a special place for people like that ... it's just that there is so much more to that movie.

It's a common theme in human history. In extreme brevity: Fear of the unknown and the resulting atrocities that humans are far too apt to commit to ameliorate it.

And there's no reason for passive aggressive insinuations and veiled associations that I 'seem to know him' simply because I defend the idea of separating ANY artist from their work ... you're better than that.

I know. It was a really cheap shot. My apologies.

And yes Phenomenon was a good movie, even though John Travolta is a Scientologist asshat ... see how that works?

We can go there if you want. Thank you for reminding me. Now that you mention it, it was some kind of bombastitc Scientologist recruiting claptrap. If you pay enough money, you get the same powers, but first you need a brain tumor to qualify-- astrocytomas are preferred.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i am reminded of an episode of HEROES
where the unsuspection mutant dicovers their powers but tries to hid them even from themselfs
if the humble human body can challange our veiws of what magnatizm entails then this story is great

if this idea of a human battery and attraction comes from inside us and just takes beleif then great we have learnt something knew

to discount something because it disturbes our veiw of the world is only to deny ones self

is this real? i have no idea but the idea is there to be explored

do human powers have to be explained by science to be real or does this have to be real for a while first then explained when science can understand it

sometimes science can be slow to look at things because of stigma attached to subjects

xploder

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

imagine the human body as a bio magnetic feild generator that can instill magnetic attraction at a mere touch of the body

Ok I'm imagining

if the human body is capable of producing attractive magnetic feilds then are they capable of repulsive magnetic feilds

My body is capable of producing many repulsive things but magnetic fields aren't one of them

are these feilds able to effect others ability to create magnetic feilds and if so is there a symbiotic relationship between these bio induced interactions and the human body as a whole

No

if its possable to create magnatizm

Yes with a magnet

is it possable to create radio waves?

Yes with a radio transmitter

what about light?

....... Light bulb?

is the human body tapping into a previously lost ability that is now showing up in more cases across the globe

No

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

you would try to keep her away from pins and needles as well
i dont think that its just metal either
but does seam to be stronger attraction with metal

xp

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Wow, very cool!

I wonder if she can do this at will? The article didn't seem to mention that it was a voluntary act of willpower, opposed to just randomly attracting metallic objects. But it did allude to that notion here -

It all started in 2004 when Jelena was watching a TV show with a girl who had the ability to attract objects. They would “stick”to her body as if both objects and the girl were magnetic. Curious, just like any other child, Jelena tried it and it worked for her as well.

So she never noticed it before trying it - how does that work? How could this effect be something controllable by will power? My mind is racing here...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

you seam like a chatty fellow and you made me smile

is it possable for your body to make
heat or infrared
sound or voice
both are waves so are magnetic lines of flux (my asumtion)

can we project any other forms of wave from our body and where does the energy necesary come from

try two word answers this time

xp

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

i have found a woman who is turned on as a magnet at all times

seams to be metal only

xploder

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Wow that truly is amazing as British 20 pence coins "the 7 sided one near her throat" are not even attracted to real magnets
She must have some sort of super magnetism that works on non magnetic metals

The one pound coin on her right shoulder isn't attracted to a magnet either.

They will however both stick to you with glue

edit on 12-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

My physics teacher in high school had the whole class hanging spoons from their noses. Eventually I could hang a knife there if my nose wasn't too greasy.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Here is some shocking logic for you...

Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses NAVPERS 10622 - Chapter 11 - Magnetism

"According to the accepted theory of magnetism, every atom and molecule has a weak north pole and a weak south pole. Actually that is saying that atoms and molecules are tiny magnets."

Your entire body is made of tiny magnets.

Here is some more shocking logic for you...

en.wikipedia.org...

"Electromagnetism is the force responsible for practically all the phenomena encountered in daily life (with the exception of gravity). "

Do you know why you can't walk through walls? Because your electromagnetic atoms in your body, and the electromagnetic atoms of the wall, repel each other.

Your entire body is electromagnetic.

edit on 12-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Well with all the junk we're putting into the environment, and after tens of millions of negatively mutated human beings over the decades, we're bound to have a few which positively mutate. ...

Now that's an interesting, and plausible, thought.

There are plenty of people born with irregularities that are pretty limiting. But there are also people born with irregularities that enhance. Some people are unnaturally good at making music, others are strong, and still others ... can attract things to their skin.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Just to make this clear, non but one of the coins that are attached to this woman are actually made of magnetic metals, a few British 2 pence pieces (the brown ones) are magnetic if they are made after 1992 but the rest are not, not in the slightest.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

this knife trick was it like the spoon trick?
is there magnatite in your nose?

how did it work?

xp

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
She must have some sort of super magnetism that works on non magnetic metals

Although I am not trying to say the picture is real. I will however correct you. In reality, there is no such thing as "non-magnetic". Everything is magnetic to a certain degree, however, they just have a higher or lower permeability.

So, with a powerful enough magnet you can lift wood.

edit on 12-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

My physics teacher in high school had the whole class hanging spoons from their noses. Eventually I could hang a knife there if my nose wasn't too greasy.

and your physics teachers explanation for this was?

The spoon hangs from your nose because of the friction between the two surfaces, if it was because of magnetism you would be able to hang it from you flattened outstretched palm with no problem

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join