It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Birth of a Hummingbird....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Keep in mind the egg is smaller than a tic tac and a quarter fits the opening of the nest! This is truly amazing.

Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all.

A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest.

It took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.

community-2.webtv.net...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Wonderful stuff Berkelygal! Hope ya don't mind me adding the pics with a few others for perspective.

So tiny....
Thanks for brightening the day!

spec

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, my hummingbirds are fattening up to start their journey, only have a few left.
I absolutely love them.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is wonderful!
My husband and I enjoyed it and I'm sending it to my Grandkids.
Thanks

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

That was amazing!! I have only seen two hummingbird nests in my lifetime, and was always shocked at how tiny they were. Great find, berkleygal!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So beautiful, thank you.

i had humming birds in my stomach while looking at those pictures. One must have flown in while i held my mouth open in awe, i can still feel the warming sensation of its humm.

This was happening in my abdomen:

Humming Bird slowmotion video

So centred and calm. Wonderful creature.

ETA: embedding was disabled by request, follow the link instead.

edit on 12/9/2010 by DizzyDayDream because: EmbeddingDisabled

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Amazing bird - I love watching them come to their feeder. I didn't have as many little visitors this summer - it was well above the norm in temps so that may have been the reason. Amazing posts and photography! Thank you!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I am so glad you all enjoyed this thread

My father, for years, has had numerous hummingbird feeders set up in the front yard. He gets hundreds each year. They are even hanging from the beams of the front porch so you can sit there quietly and see them close up. My sister has been known to stand out in the yard holding two feeders in her hands and they flock around her. Dad is a little deaf and he cannot hear their clicks and the whrrrr of their wings. I so enjoy going home during hummingbird season

We have them here in Berkeley, one flew thru my water spray from the hose one day, he swooped in and looked at me for me while hovering directly in front of me, then he went thru the spray a few times and flew off. I really don't have any place to hang feeders here mainly because of the Tribe of Five, my cats. They are fast kittehs!

top topics

join