It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi diplomat seeking asylum: 'My life is in danger'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow, came across this article. This could have all kinds of implications. Will the Saudi's get pissed if the US decides to give him asylum? What will the administration do and what are they saying about the Muslim faith, especially of the country with the holy land, if they give him asylum?

Here is the article from MSNBC-Saudi diplomat seeking asylum: 'My life is in danger'

A snippet-

A ranking Saudi diplomat told NBC News that he has asked for political asylum in the United States, saying he fears for his life if he is forced to return to his native country.

The diplomat, Ali Ahmad Asseri, the first secretary of the Saudi consulate in Los Angeles, has informed U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials that Saudi officials have refused to renew his diplomatic passport and effectively terminated his job after discovering he was gay and was close friends with a Jewish woman.

In a recent letter that he posted on a Saudi website, Asseri angrily criticized his country’s “backwardness” as well as the role of “militant imams” in Saudi society who have “defaced the tolerance of Islam.” Perhaps most provocatively of all, he has threatened to expose what he describes as politically embarrassing information about members of the Saudi royal family living in luxury in the U.S.

All I have to say is WOW. I wouldn't want to touch this one with a ten foot pole.

Think about it, either way the Administration is screwed with this one.

Which way do you think the Administration going to go?

Read a bunch of the comments on the story, you will see the implications I am talking about.

No softball here. Best bet, bury it. Of course I think that is too late. Purposeful provacation? I think this poor bastard is gone. That is my opinion.

edit on 12-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: add my opinion

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
well I dont think this is gonna have the implications to diplomatic
relations that most fear. he is not a WANTED man or a fugitive.
He was just terminated from his job. Now if the US does give
him asylum and then SA request he be extradited and the US
refuses, then I foresee a Mexican Standoff politically. Covert
operations are still gonna go on on both sides regardless.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well, a little more than that. From the article-

If he is forced to go back to Saudi Arabia — as Saudi officials are demanding — Asseri says he could face political persecution and even death.

The Saudi's are demanding he return. I wonder why they want him back there?

I am sure they will just have a nice little talk.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Nice find!!

In my opinion this will be swept under the carpet and he will be sent back or else he will have a swimming accident in LA.

The saudis dont take kindly to gay whistleblowers!!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

And what is surprising, this was released by one of the writers at MSNBC.

I wonder if this will get any airtime on the News shows?

I doubt that.

This could even be more of a problem than the pastor burning the qur'an thingy.

new topics

top topics

join