It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enbridge working to stop Ill. pipeline spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Enbridge working to stop Ill. pipeline spill

www.google.com

CHICAGO — The Environmental Protection Agency and crews from Enbridge Energy Partners are still at the scene of a leaking oil pipeline outside of Chicago.

The EPA has order the company to stop the flow of oil in Romeoville by noon Monday.

EPA spokeswoman Anne Rowan says the pipeline was leaking an estimated 200 to 600 barrels of crude per hour as of Friday.

Enbridge officials have said the leak is being contained as it comes out of the pipeline.

The company said the pipeline was moving about
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There has actually seemed to be a lot of oil related issues in the news these days...

seems weird to me....and where is the MSM coverage of this spill the article says it is still leaking 200 to 600 barrels as of this last Friday...

again have not heard anything in the news to cover this perhaps i just missed it...

anyone else have anymore info on the SPill?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
here is another article from yesterday...

Enbridge digs up leaking Illinois pipeline

www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Enbridge Inc on Saturday started digging up the pipeline that halted nearly a third of Canada's crude oil exports to the United States when it sprung a leak two days ago, but the company does not have an estimate on how long repairs will take. Enbridge said removal of the damaged pipe is complicated by utility lines and sewer pipes near its line, forcing workers to dig by hand or use high-pressure water to expose the oil conduit. It can't yet say when that will be completed or when shipments might resume. "Excavation has begun, but it's a busy corridor," said Gina Jordan, a spokeswoman for Enbridge. "There is still no estimate on when we can restart (the line)." The leak was discovered around noon on Thursday at a stretch of pipeline in Romeoville, Illinois, about 30 miles southwest of Chicago. Enbridge quickly shut down its Line 6A, the largest of its three major lines that take Canadian crude to refineries in the U.S. Midwest and on to the Cushing, Oklahoma, oil storage hub. The line can handle 670,000 barrels per day but was transporting about 459,000 bpd before the leak. Canada shipped 1.75 million barrels of crude to the United States in the week to September 3, making it by far the largest foreign supplier. Saudi Arabia, the No. 2 supplier, shipped 1.16 million bpd to U.S. markets last week, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tspark

I agree, there are a lot of oil related issues that are not being covered my the media.

This pipeline is old and in desperate need of repair, and they are not sure when it can be fixed. Seems like that would be important news, but the media does not seem to cover things like this anymore. Wonder if this will raise gas prices?

edit on 12-9-2010 by PacificBlue because: grammar

edit on 12-9-2010 by PacificBlue because: remove link, source changed to subscription only-was free when it was originally posted

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So, what do you classify as "The Media"?

AP is covering it: EPA: Enbridge has until Tue. to stop Ill. oil leak

Reuters is covering it: Enbridge digs up leaking Illinois pipeline

Wall Street Journal is covering it: Broken Pipeline Pushes Up Crude Price

That to me doesn't look like a media blackout or cover-up.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

not a cover-up per-se only the cable news is not really covering it... tv news...not much that i heard... you have to go looking for ....

edit on 12-9-2010 by tspark because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tspark

TV news is all about sensationalism and ratings, not news. If you are using it as the pinnacle of reporting, then I think you should reconsider your sources of information.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Some issues are given more attention that others. The fire in San Bruno was covered extensively, and it seems like the fires in Detroit were ignored.

However, I do not get my news from cable television, so I can not really be sure what is covered.

In the past, when I did watch cable news, it seemed like any story about an accident or disaster was overhyped, politicized, or factually incorrect.

This year, it does seem like some stories are put in the spotlight and others are not-always thought that the cable news networks loved disasters. This year it seems like they are being much more selective about what (so-called) disasters are covered. Just my opinion, and it is biased, because I do not like network cable news.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

TRUE, most of the time i don't have the time to dig the internet...so i have the cable on in the background...

when i do get on.... i try to find out things....

but lets face it though most of america doesn't surf for news...they have TV....and if it's not reported...its buried...

new topics

top topics

join