It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Name for UFO's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think after 50+ years of using this name UFO ( unidentified flying object ) is becoming quite outdated.

Wouldn't you all agree?

Yes to the majority of us the origin and the exact nature of these crafts are unknown but i think it is about time we came up with a new name.

To anyone that believes these craft or objects are anything but unidentified!

So i am putting the challenge out there people, a new name and this thread is a place for ideas and consensace.

My first pitch is: Visitors - although not totally original it is a replacment name for many UFO sightings ( not all but most )

Watchers - as they have most definatly been watching us for some time.

Depending on what you believe you may even call them puppet masters, but i will leave that one for now

Come on guys lets get the creativity flowing and make a long overdue name change

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
I think after 50+ years of using this name UFO ( unidentified flying object ) is becoming quite outdated.

Wouldn't you all agree?

Yes to the majority of us the origin and the exact nature of these crafts are unknown but i think it is about time we came up with a new name.

To anyone that believes these craft or objects are anything but unidentified!

So i am putting the challenge out there people, a new name and this thread is a place for ideas and consensace.

My first pitch is: Visitors - although not totally original it is a replacment name for many UFO sightings ( not all but most )

Watchers - as they have most definatly been watching us for some time.

Depending on what you believe you may even call them puppet masters, but i will leave that one for now

You are assuming that UFOs are alien in nature...or that is what I am getting from your answers.

The name UFO is perfect for things it describes, why change it. That would be like renaming the White House or The Eiffel Tower or something like that.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It's insulting to our intelligence to continue to label them as unknown, in many we know exactly what they are.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It's insulting to our intelligence to continue to label them as unknown, in many we know exactly what they are.

Just because you believe it to be something..That doesn't make it so.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If it ain't broke...

UFO sums it up quite accurately I think, could be Earthly or Extraterrestrial in origin, it's just Unidentified. Sorry if this sounds mean, but "modernising" language is a load of guff in my opinion, similar to companies that re-brand products to make it more "exciting and fresh", which is fine, just a little intellectually demeaning towards the target market.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Yes but to those that don't know it's unidentified, hence the name!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
doubt it but it sounds cool

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on 12-9-2010 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I would call them Bailers... The only thing they have done, has been bailing. If they surly are our creators, our watchers, or what you want to call them, then they aint doing it well.

Unless, they have a reason for not showing up. Like "We will only reweal ourself, when your mind has opened!" Then they can wait for a looong time

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You're right and I've noticed people referring to some as IFOs (identified) now.

We also have our USOs (submerged). Some are even just labeled Light Orbs.

But I tend to agree with you. It's getting old and too many are getting tucked under this one category/name of UFOs. We need to compartmentalize a bit because UFOs just don't seem to cut it anymore!

The ones that need a new name are the 5-10% that seem to defy our physics here on Earth. The ones traveling 10,000 MPH or are 5 miles in length! We do need a new category/title for them.

How about WTF's?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't think I would change the name just yet because I feel like 50% of UFOs are "alien" and the other 50% are government Black Ops projects.
The problem is when you see one, how can you identify which it is- theirs or ours? So it would still technically remain "unidentified"..........

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If you have sat in the open cafes of many of the more progressive cities and towns throughout the world, you would know that many individuals have attempted the same thing as you propose but in the end it always reverts back to UFO.

while you are at it you could also rename aliens too.

I must have missed your ideas OP, did you ahve some suggestions for this idea?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
UPO for unidentified photo object.
Then if some one wants to say its a flying ship or bug its up for investigation
or just one's own opinion.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I like the NARCAP term UAP, or unidentified aerial phenomena. Basically the same as UFO, but UAP acknowledges the fact that some of these things are not clearly "objects." I think we still have to admit that they are not positively identified if we are to be honest, so I would steer clear of terms that appear to make the assumption that we know for sure what they are. For everyday use, I tend to stick with UFO. No need to get fancy.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The term UFO is very appropriate, although most people are not familiar with its true meaning. One would think - based on the meaning of the words - that it refers to any unidentified flying object, though this is not the case. The term for anything that is in the sky but which the observer can't identify is UAP, or unidentitified aerial phenomenon. I think that what the OP is getting at is that we should be calling the UFOs, "ETs." But, that's not right either.

A UFO refers to any UAP which resists explanation by an expert(s) who has examined all available evidence. This is a useful term because it does not include the trivially unidentified objects such as blimps or helicopters as seen by someone who is untrained or uninformed, which would be immediately be identified if an expert examined all available evidence. UFO also is not synonymous with ETs. The whole point is that UFOs are truely unidentified. If you're certain that they are ETs, then just call them ETs.

The OP seems to think it would be advantageous for us to literally deny ignorance by refusing to use terms that suggest we don't know exactly what we're seeing, even when we really don't know. In my opinion, he's taking the phrase too literally. If people knew what UFOs were, they would stop calling them UFOs. The fact is, there really are some genuinely unexplained sightings. Deciding that as a policy we should not aknowledge the mystery and instead assume that everything is an ET unless we can prove otherwise is certainly an unproductive step.

OP, do you think that everything that you don't recognize is an alien from another planet? Or only things that you don't recognize in the sky?

Added:

Unidentified flying object (commonly abbreviated as UFO or U.F.O.) is the popular term for any apparent aerial phenomenon whose cause cannot be easily or immediately identified by the observer. The United States Air Force, which coined the term in 1952, initially defined UFOs as those objects that remain unidentified after scrutiny by expert investigators

Source

edit on 9/12/10 by OnceReturned because: Added external definition

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm quite happy with UFO though a couple of ideas below which eliminates the word 'flying'.

Misidentified or unidentified planets whilst 'flying' through space are more usually considered to 'orbit', earth lights/plasma balls and Chinese lanterns 'float' rather than 'fly'....

UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon
UAO - Unidentified Aerial Object
UTE - Unidentified Taxpayer's Expenditure

Peace!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Let's call them Steven Greers. Here is what some sighting reports would sound like with the new terminology.

• Multiple witnesses report seeing three, or more, distinctly red Steven Greers hovering in the night sky. The Greers moved, relative to one another, and moved off to the south.

• The crew of an airliner report seeing four disc-shaped Steven Greers, which remain visible ahead of the aircraft for 10-15 minutes. The Greers did not appear on FAA radar during the entire sighting.

• A commercial pilot, flying from Nantucket Island, MA, sees a charcoal-black, egg-shaped Steven Greer streaking toward his airliner. The Greer is seen on radar to reverse its course and track the aircraft!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I must be quite behind the times, because I don't know what they are.

What are they? With exacting precision, please, not just anecdotal ideas.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
flagged cuz a new name would help dislosure i think
if u labe somthin a certain way and gets a `name its hard to get rid of it
and at least by now we identified that ther unindentifeid so maybe indentified unindentified flying objects
or G.O.D 's or ttm's
top of the matrixes
or s f's,no not star and flag but starfish
witch reminds me still have to star this thread

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
ít looks like the nwo cardgame was totally wright after all
must be embarrising wat?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
How about

Big Iridescent Radioactive Disappearing Ships