It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's 'The Event': The secret even the President does not know

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I feel like that was an hour long teaser. However, I'm thinking it may make more sense to have seen it in future episodes. I didn't too much care for the timeline bouncing forward and backwards from perspective to perspective, but I do like the fact that they showed a little bit before they cut away previously. I like the fact that they showed a little bit, overlapping the scenes to remind us what was going on, i guess.

So what sucked the plane up? wormhole technology, perhaps?

this series seems intriguing to this sci-fi fan

Maybe the future will catch up to the present by travelling through the past?

fun show,
et

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I don't feel like the episode lived up to all the hype, though the acting was great. I have never been a fan of jumping back and forth between time to tell the story, though it wasn't too difficult to follow in this episode. If the next couple of episodes give any hints of dragging out the story like other shows then it will lose me.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I've just finished watching "The Event" on NBC .... here's my take on this show; personally I find it very interesting and intriguing; upon finishing the fisrt episode I still do not know what "the event" really is; my speculation is that there are two scenarios:One, those detainees from Mt. Inostranka are people who been kidnapped by E.T and released back to Earth; Information about them being leaked to the President by someone on the inside; he's a straight-up and righteous guy, so he decides to announce to the whole wide world that "We are not alone." Two, They are (time-travelers) from the future or from another dimension warn us about something/someone is coming. Personally, I'm in favor of the first one because in the end of episode one; right before the 767 about to crash, it being sucked into a wormhole.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Anyone remember Heroes? That show started off awesome and slowly evaporated into garbage.

This is like Heroes + Lost + 24. I smell fail.

Personally I can no longer stand the formula they use with these shows on NBC. Same thing every year. I swear it's like Deja Vu. The pilot could've given us more, but it was interesting. I'll probably watch the next episode, but I can already see where this is going. Just another over-hyped ad-machine.

A made-for-tv movie would be much more palatable, imho.

I'd be happier if this show was a conspiracy to water-down the real "event." =P

edit on 21-9-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

I'm with you, man.
They've been making shows that similar to one another for sometimes now.....I'm bored that is for certain. My opinion is that they should start making shows like "Jericho." By the way, for all who like conspiracy theory like me I recommend you to watch "Jericho," it's so good and close to the reality we live in right now.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It was pretty good. And as the above poster mentioned, a little of Lost and Heroes. It also reminded me a little of a series a few years back (which I loved) called The 4400. Not sure how it's going to do, though. The time segments got to be a bit confusing. 7 days, 11 days, 13 months and back to 7 days. Hopefully, it will stay on for a season or two.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by the_0bserver85

Jericho was a great series. The kind of show that makes you think what it would be like if there was a wide spread attack on the country. It was more realistic than some shows.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I want my hour back.

And I want to punch the writers in the face for the gall it took to act like the ev3nt was an event.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I don't feel like the episode lived up to all the hype, though the acting was great. I have never been a fan of jumping back and forth between time to tell the story, though it wasn't too difficult to follow in this episode. If the next couple of episodes give any hints of dragging out the story like other shows then it will lose me.

Thing is, there was no NEED for the time jumping, and no need for the audience to watch the exact same scenes over and over again. They really need to cut this out. Completely unnecessary, and only distracting to the story.

I'm intrigued by the show, but they will need to answer some of the questions sooner than LOST did, to keep the audience. My thinking is as follows:

1) The detainees are alien-related (either aliens themselves, hybrids, or former abductees).
2) The pilot's daughter was abducted as leverage, to get the pilot to agree to fly the plane and kill the President.
3) The President's advisors who don't want him to go public, are behind the assassination attempt (and the daughter's abduction).
4) The aliens used their technology to prevent the assassination attempt from succeeding.
5) The EVENT is the arrival of the alien mothership (most likely in a nearby orbit on the dark side of the moon...to hide from other terrestrial spotters)

Reasoning: there has to be some "THEY" who have the technology to generate the wormhole that rescued the plane. Since those with the best access to such tech of a terrestrial bent (i.e. the black ops guys) are the ones who tried to kill him, it's not them...so probably an extra-terrestrial power (and fits with why these people, which include a woman in her late forties, would be considered dangerous to release).

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
My thinking is as follows...

My thinking is that those behind the conspiracy, those who kidnapped the pilots' family, the President's advisors wanting to keep the facility a secret, are actually the good guys, driven to extremes.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I watched the first episode and was taken aback by all the PC BS.

The jumping back and forth was like one gigantic traffic jam.

Special effects were not utilized in an appropriate manner and at times completely incorrect.

I must say the story line was acceptable but to many character actors were not.

This series is a poor attempt to emulate "24".

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think they really need to make this a mini series, not a full blown show.

The best series was "taken". It was action packed, every episode was highly interesting..the ending sort of sucked, but what would you expect based on plausable reality.

I see this show capturing the interest initially (like the sarah connar chronicles) but will end up frustrating half the audience before the first season is over enough to simply abandon it. A television series has the problem of needing to move the action fast enough to keep people intrigued, goals met so the audience feels things get accomplished, but leave things still open enough for people to be interested in the next season, and the season after that, and after that, etc...I simply don't see that as possible given the subject.

The concept itself is nice, but I feel the rollout is going to be a disaster over time.

The more interesting thing now is, will people watching the series become interested in the subject matter presented in the show, or will this be yet another write off of the subject as being clearly fake and anyone discussing it must have simply got the idea from the TV.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Too much like Lost. And I hate Lost.

I will give it one more chance though.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I saw the show last night and IMO I think they should try not to do so much of that 2 days later, 14 weeks earlier, 5 months earlier. Too much hoping around timelines that you are going to lose your average audience.

The show didnt really start getting good until the last part where the plane disappears (LOST)

More than likely it is going to be about a corporation or group that has timeline control technology like on the show LOST.

The prisoners were probably from the past that appeared in the present. I would like them to go with an Alien theme, with ancient secret technologies but not just a shadowy corporation behind it all. I want to know whats behind the scene running the shadowy corporation.

This could be a decent show but they need to hop it up with three main things

1. More meaty scenarios such as the plane dissapearing
2. Don't bounce around so much with timelines.
3. Work out the cheesy visual effects (when the plane takes off etc)

*Don't play the hook the audience game so they want to tune in for the next show. The show Heroes was pretty good at this...they disclosed enough and didn't leave you with an empty plate full of crumbs

I will give it 3 more shows and if it hasn't improved...I will no longer watch it

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There was a time when a thread like this would have been moved to BTS.

Unfotuanately ATS has completely sold out and now crap like this is justified as a legitimate thread.

Site is turning into farce.

Its all about the numbers.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

There is no more BTS. This thread is in the Off Topic forum.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I won't be wasting my time with this should it be syndicated in Australia. Sci-Fi has gone down the crapper since Star Trek, SG1 & Atlantis wrapped up. Now I just feel were seeing the result of back room wagers between television executives on how long they can make people eat hollow pie. All marketing gimmicks & no guts!

IRM

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Its actually better than subjects like "I was an Alien Gray in a former life" That thing has something like 60 pages to it

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I know there is no BTS. I stated exactly why.

Numbers.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

They just renamed it Off Topic.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join