It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US scientists learn how to levitate tiny objects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

US scientists learn how to levitate tiny objects

www.reuters.com

Jan 7 (Reuters) - U.S. scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects using the strange forces of quantum mechanics, and said on Wednesday they might use it to help make tiny nanotechnology machines.

They said they had detected and measured a force that comes into play at the molecular level using certain combinations of molecules that repel one another.

The repulsion can be used to hold molecules aloft, in essence levitating them, creating virtually friction-free parts for tiny devices, the researchers said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I think this sounds awesome, reminds me of the force! However I do feel this technology already exists and is used but out of public eye, perhaps now only the public is hearing about it. If they had higher funding they may have had this technology 20 years ago, which im confident they may have. However I do stand to be corrected as I dont know much about levitation technology.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Did the article say friction free, damn the future is getting clearer and clearer.

We have already created biological cars, but at molecular level, this will help with that, and in the future there will be bigger versions, if my imagination is on the right track, if not, please don't hesitate to point me towards the right direction

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

SO, little tiny rocks float?

I knew it! I knew there was higher meaning to Monty Python's Holy Grail!

Sorry OP, that scene where they are talking about things that floats on water, bread, apples, little tiny rocks.

So, what force is levitating the objects?

edit to add, alright reading it again, they are saying that possibly saying reversing the effect of stiction, or the attraction of very small parts in close proximity. I always thought that was gravity.

Anyway, would need to see replicable experiments, that will not be happening for awhile.

Cool anyway. Cannot wait for my hover car.

edit on 12-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Good find. S&F

...I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this sounds just like the old majic tricks using magnets to 'levitate' objects...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Good find. S&F

...I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this sounds just like the old majic tricks using magnets to 'levitate' objects...

I was thinking the same thing.
U mean superconducting like using nitrogen on a kermic material and let magnets levitate above it..[like magnet trains]

edit on 12-9-2010 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I hate to pour a wet blanket on this thread (cause I'd like for it to be true) but further down the linked article is this:

The team, including researchers at the National Institutes of Health, has not yet levitated an object

...and this:

"This is an experiment we are sure will work," he said.

So, let's wait and see...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Always remember anything like this brought to the publics attention they are already 20-40 years ahead of what they have made public.

I love when people say "we dont have that technology yet"
or "it hasn't been discovered yet"

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

yep i agree...i also think they are using the technology for other secret groups

maybe one day they will come clean with the tech curve...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I can also levitate tiny bits of stuff like dust,hairs,bits of paper etc.

just by popping my bass speaker on the floor and putting the bits in the cone,then crank the volume.

that would be better in space too,as you wouldn't hear it.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Why do I feel like this is something Japan has done already...
Anyones kudos for the US for making the effort.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I like how they cleverly avoid admitting they are just playing with a form of magnetic force.

Electromagnetism to be more precise.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The whole article seems like a vague ''tease'' to the public..this is what we can do..or can we?? That type of mind game...

top topics

join