It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Experiments Show That The Future Can Influence The Present.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

"A series of quantum experiments shows that measurements performed in the future can influence the present. Does that mean the universe has a destiny—and the laws of physics pull us inexorably toward our prewritten fate?"

discovermagazine.com...

Related; "Chapman professor lands Discover cover story" :

"To a scientist, making the cover of Discover magazine is something akin to a rock star making the cover of Rolling Stone. And while Yakir Aharonov and his group, including Jeff Tollaksen (both professors of physics in Chapman’s Schmid College of Science), didn’t quite get their photos on the April cover of Discover (they had to cede that to an image of Einstein, so they were OK with that), it’s still a terrific honor."

chapmannews.wordpress.com...

It is my personal theory that your opinions about this research is predestined to be diverse...

edit on 12-9-2010 by Heliocentric because: link defect

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

edit on Sun Sep 12 2010 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
This research isn't very new, or very surprising. It's just not mainstream. Some interesting quotes from Aharonov:

“if a particle’s past doesn’t contain enough information to determine its fate, then maybe its future does.”

“The future can only affect the present if there is room to write the influence off as a mistake.”

People still like to believe in pure determinism, though. Go figure.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Well on the quantum level doesnt time cease to exist ??

Time is not linear after all, everything that has happened, or ever will happen already exists, .... time is the observer's perspective, moving from one frame to another.

This can be felt in premonitions, I'm sure you've heard the story, someone gets a feeling which helps them avoid a catastrophe. Thats because somewhere, some"time", the catastrophe already exists, creating an emotional ripple which flows fowards as well as back in time.

.. and what ties it all together ? the consciousness. Our subconscious is interacting with, and could even be shaping our world on a quantum level.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Perhaps what we define as past, present and future all exists at the same time, therefore time does not cease to exist, but our concept f it changes depending on how we approach it.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
A simpler and most likely explanation is that when the way the experiment is setup determines part of the outcome. Personally I don't believe that the future affects the present; I also don't agree with the "hidden variables do not exist" camp. There may be something that connects the matter used in the experiment that we may not know about and that it is not classical matter - hence the 'no hidden variables' argument remains valid but there is also something that connects the two (the way the experiment is setup and the result).

Let's not forget Quantum Entanglement: it has been proven, and therefore we know that spacetime is connected in ways that classic matter does not affect.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well this thread is probably a little over my head but I enjoy it and similar threads.
Always good to learn something new.
Anyway I have always thought if we could travel through time we would only be able to do so in a forward motion and not be able to revisit the past.
The reason being is that we are able to change the future but can not change the past.
And before you all start flaming me.......Yes I do know this thread is not about time travel but about how the future may affect the present.
But would it not be more clear to state in this experiment that the future actually may have affected the past?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I love to see that science is able to prove this. In my coaching practice, I help people to create their future and also change the past by going back in their mind to the time and giving that younger version of themselves the resources they need to have the outcome they would have preferred. It's been my observation that working with both future and past points in time does affect a person in the present. The past work I believe is very much about healing and is based more in psychological principles. The work on creating a different experience in the future has shown to be very effective in many of my clients. I personally use nlp and visualization techniques to consciously create the experiences I wish to have and firmly believe that when you continue to focus on that which you desire, you cause that to manifest in your experience. It's been my experience that it's absolutely possible to affect our future with thoughts, feelings, words and action. The people I work with that don't share my experience of this working tend to be those that change their mind a lot and/or are unable to maintain their focus for long. They typically just don't know what they want or don't believe that it's possible for them. Either way, It's my belief, that they are still creating for themselves the same experiences they are having now that they find unpleasant. Having the ability to show clients scientific evidence that proves this concept could help to change a lot lives in a very positive way.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That was one of the best articles I have read in a long time on the subject of esoteric physics. thanks for sharing.

The idea that time travels in reverse is definitely not new....just (as mentioned) not mainstream. Regardless, this article puts it in a way that the most lay of laypeople can understand.

What I like best is that the math allows for determinism to not be nailed down. In typical fashion, the mysteries of the architect are not so easily wheedled out. Pythagoras was a very wise man, but his triangulation test does not work on a system as complex as reality, it seems.

It will take a day or two to work some of the implications dicussed later in the article into my mindset. I am going to share this elsewhere. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Time is not linear after all, everything that has happened, or ever will happen already exists, .... time is the observer's perspective, moving from one frame to another.

This can be felt in premonitions, I'm sure you've heard the story, someone gets a feeling which helps them avoid a catastrophe. Thats because somewhere, some"time", the catastrophe already exists, creating an emotional ripple which flows fowards as well as back in time.

.. and what ties it all together ? the consciousness. Our subconscious is interacting with, and could even be shaping our world on a quantum level.

I am no physicist. But i think in the abstract exceptionally well.

I like to think of time as being the result of a collapsing of the macro wave function. At we begin to move into the next "frame" of reality, various changes of state tell the universe the information about you (location, direction, etc).

"Timelessness" occurs as a byproduct of the universe having a fuzzy future. I would say that it has a fuzzy present, as well. Time is a byproduct of the act of observation of the fractal universe, whereby you can fix the location/direction/etc of various portions of the universe. As the experience happens, the reality is fixed/the wave function is collapsed/the holograph is brought into focus.

The universe doesn't work on a rigid substrate. It is fuzzy, as is time. The closer you get to the epicenter, the more focused it is.

new topics

top topics

join