It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism: Destroying the Male and Female Relationship

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by metro

You are correct- the w0mens movement gave them the freedom to look outward of the "home" Thus leaving the all important family structure, to just swing in the wind.

Equal pay and status in the workplace has fractured what was once "family values"

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Feminism got its start in the U.S. in the 1840s, when women lacked property rights, voting and citizenship rights and often compared their condition to that of slaves--literally so, since many of the early feminists like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony and Lucretia Mott came directly out of the abolitionist movement. They were all too familiar with the condition of chattel slaves in the South, and putting two and two together realized that women had always been oppressed in similar ways. This was the first time in history that it had even been questioned in a serious way, in the1830s and 1840s.

So that's where feminism started, with that realization. That's how bad they thought the situation of women was in the 19th Century. They had to spend decades struggling even to get voting rights, which they finally got in 1920.

This is the real history of feminism, which began at the same time that the U.S. was becoming an urban, industrial capitalist society. Of course, that did not really take off until after 1865 when the South was defeated, because it had been standing in the way of those who wanted to industrialize the country for decades.

So it's not surprsing that at the same time this was going on, women and blacks began to demand equal citizenship rights for the first time in history. It's easy enough to look down on people like these and sneer at them, especially by those who ARE in a position to look down on them from above, and haven't experienced the very real oppression that they did.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

i think it's called "inflation" and laws that require a certain standard of living to stay within the legal limits of the laws. in third world nations, the quality of living is often so low, that what we would consider crime, abuse and neglect, is a way of life and an end result of poverty and the absence of living standard laws. we have the opposite scenario. standard of living laws often so high, that only one working parent can't maintain it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
All this fight for equality but the thing is men and women aren't equal. Generally speaking.

Men are physically stronger. We are wired to dominate, fight, protect, hunt, compete etc..

Men have done this for a long time, we are good at it and it is the masculine energy that is to blame for the current state of the world.

If i had the power I would happily give the world to the females.. so girls in your fight for equality make sure you bring the feminine with you and don't let them mold you into becoming what you are fighting against in order for you to compete.

edit on 13-9-2010 by Mr_Awesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The few feminists I've ever met can't relate to men or other women who don't have a problem with men. Therefore they've alienated themselves down to a small minority of likeminded people and stay separate and twisted as a result. Just my observation of what I 'see'.
Of course drunks don't see their behavior either so I don't expect feminists to see their behavior as a problem either.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

So true that at our 15% unemployment rate has forced the parents to both work. I met a pregnant (8 mo.) women yesterday who couldn't afford to not work. Her husband had two part time jobs and they were going to the movie theater for her birthday. Sad.

But even if the economy returns, I think the woman's movement needs to stabilize. Reach an accord or something to rear the "family"

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The cost of living is more to blame. Couples cannot get financially ahead these days without the male and female earning a full wage. It's not like the old days any more. We live in a very different world. Perhaps guys need to get used to 'sharing power' in the relationship and stop being so insecure.

IRM

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Feminists? Yeah, we have those over here in Croatia. They're usually jealous ugly old skanks who have problems getting anyone to even look at them so they project their issues on others, all under guise of "fighting for women rights".

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by metro

SOME women were more free......
I come from a line of widows, abandoned wives, and well, wives that had to work, just to help the family meet their bills! I am over 50...so, four generations sends this way back to the 1800's....
when supposedly women weren't working??

ya....yes, life was so much freer when the men were sitting at the gates of the city chatting with the elders, while the women and children worked their arses off! ya...they were so much more freedom....for the men!!!
you read the story of the virtuous women in psalms...
the women is spending her day, doing all kinds of things...then well, he husband is actually spending his time at the gates of the city, chatting with the elders...
then read Stanton....or maybe it was Anthony...
the women were working, laws denied them right to their own wages evern, and well....the men are sitting outside on mainstreet, or in the saloons, whatever.....

ya....that's freedom!
my grandmother spend so much time in her life sitting at a sewing machine, her back was hunched! don't tell me she didn't work all her life! she worked...for a pittance of pay...longer hours than most do these days...in conditions that probably would be illegal today!!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The view from the Center:

There's nothing wrong with women choosing alternative lifestyles to that of marriage our expressing their sexuality freely. But there is something very wrong with viewing all men as Oppressors and traditional lifestyles as Oppressive.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Ok...

I think the problem most men have with feminism is the Hollywood projected idea of man-hating, noisy women who shout people in the face in the middle of the street, and tell women how to live their lives. Now, it's common sense that nobody likes people like that. I don't want anything to do with that kind of person, regardless of gender. And of course, that IS a stereotype that isn't always true.

The fact is, if a feminist is nice and sane and can be argued with in a civilized manner, I have no problem with him or her. The same goes with any -ism and any political issue. That's common sense, really.

But. I don't like feminism, and would never call myself a feminist. I'm a humanist. I don't believe in equality for women. I believe in equality for humans. Similarly, I would never fight for women's rights. I would fight for human rights. In my opinion, feminism, intentionally or unintentionally, only serves to divide humanity into "us" and "them".

And of course, I don't support wife-beaters and sexists either.

Just my 2 cent on the issue.

edit on 13-9-2010 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The whole thing is just another left-wing/right-wing farce. In reality there is nothing wrong with alternative-lifestyles and there is nothing wrong with tradtional-lifestyles either.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
The cost of living is more to blame. Couples cannot get financially ahead these days without the male and female earning a full wage. It's not like the old days any more. We live in a very different world. Perhaps guys need to get used to 'sharing power' in the relationship and stop being so insecure.

IRM

Sound like you are telling people to give up and make due with less.

People should be trying to change that, not 'perhaps get used to it' or some other such defeatist nonsense.

The world was better when a man could raise his family in comfort with just his job.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

"a man"......which man was that...
was it all men?? highly doubt it....
some men....well what about the others, what about their wives, who had to work, it was necessary for the families survival, but then, well, they made so little, it really didn't take the family that far out of proverty??
what about those women who's husband decided to up and leave to run off with that pretty sexitary leaving her with six kids, very loose child support laws, and a labor market so tilted against here that she was doomed to live in proverty??? was it better for her? was it better for other women, who remained in abusive relationships...oh wait a minute they weren't considered abusive back then were they...it was all pretty much legal... just so the kids weren't living in proverty...was it better for them?

was it better for my husband, for me, for my kids for my husband to have worked 60 hours a week trying to support his family just because he was so stubborn, he couldn't see why he should have to come home to take care of kids?? did it really help that much when I did go to work, only to find that no matter what I did.....I couldn't earn as much as he did with that part time job working half the time I was?
ya...life was better, for the richer families, who could afford to have mom at home and not working...
and well, what can you say, those rich people seem to have way too much time on their hands sometimes, and they tend to stick their noses into the common folks business, thinking they know what's best....and that their way is the best way, the only way.....
and besides, having a bunch of women and children stuck in a labor market where it's justified to pay them pennies on the dollar just makes the rich more money!!!

a man's home is his castle for him to rule over as he sees fit......
it's a nice bribe, till you look closer, and find out that as you accept that rulership, well, you also have to accept the idea that it's also quite natural, justifiable, for you to be ruled in like manner!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

It sounds like you had a bad experience.

But the country would be better for it if the average man could keep his family in comfort with only his job working regular hours. Comfort means a nice house, a car and decent food.

This also means if the woman wanted to work, the family could take in much more than they need to live in comfort. That is a good thing, especially for the children.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

the country would also be better off if everyone willing to work a full time job, be they women or men, was paid at least enough to keep themselves in a nice comfy lifesyle.....and well, as they became more experienced (and more apt to have dependents.) well, their full time jobs paid at least enough to keep them and provide half of the necessities needed for those children.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

This is one of the fundamental issues. At its heart Feminism relies on certain Core Beliefs - women are oppressed (due to men and Patriarchal social structures); women are not free until they can do everything men can do (yep, including being "lucky" enough to move that 50kg air conditioner) and encouraging women to perceive nurturing and raising children as a submissive and under-appreciated role. (That doesn't speak for all the streams of Feminism but it is a pretty accurate summation of the detrimental aspects of the Ideology.)

edit on 13/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join