It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWJD? Not necessarily what we should do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Here's a pretty interesting article for those who think "What would Jesus do" when faced with difficult decisions in their lives. It says that we must remember that we are NOT Jesus and that we cannot do everything that he did, in fact, sometimes doing what Jesus did would be wrong for us, both practically and morally.

WWJD? Not necessarily what we should do

However, there is a danger in WWJD? in that it can blur the distinction between Christ and us. Namely, that he is God and we are not. Just looking at the Gospel of Matthew, here are a few instances in which what Jesus did is NOT what we should do:

“You have heard it said…but I say to you” (Matthew 5:20-48)
In Christ’s Sermon on the Mount, he often stated an Old Testament command, but then followed it by stating, “But I say to you”, thus making himself above the Law. In fact, in some cases – such as with marriage – he even changes the Law as it was originally received by Moses! None of us ever have the ability to change the law as it has been received by God.

“Your sins are forgiven” (Matthew 9:1-8)
Christ startled those around him by forgiving the sins of people who came to him. As the scribes correctly noted, this is blasphemy if you are not God. We can – and should – forgive the sins that are committed against us, but we have no ability to forgive sins committed against others.

“Follow me” (Matthew 9:9, 9:37-39, 19:21)
We, on the other hand, should always point people to Christ and never to ourselves. If anyone is following you, you better give them a new map.

“You have the poor with you always, but you will not always have me” (Matthew 26:11)
However, when the disciples were indignant that a woman “wasted” an expensive bottle of ointment on Jesus instead of selling it to help the poor, Jesus made the startling statement that the woman’s action was superior to helping the poor. If any of us were to think that service to us was more important than serving the poor, we would be deluding ourselves.

Source

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well gee, I thought it was kinda interesting.

Guess no one else cares though. Oh well.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

What would Jesus do?

Jesus left. That is what Jesus would do.

just an observation.

-et

new topics

join