It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You (and/or your progeny) will be Assimilated! Resistance is FUTILE!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I disagree.

Technology is reverse engineered from "mother nature."

People rode on the first trains because of nature. We're on computers because of nature. So I think it's very "natural" for the human species to advance in technology.

Technology of the future is much more advanced than the internet, but it still comes from nature. Nanotechnology and quantum computing is given to us by "mother nature."

I don't see a problem with people using technology to avoid growing old. I have seen people lose themselves growing old and forget their loved ones names. It's not a pretty sight. If we can use science and technology to stop things like Alzheimer's, I'm all for it.

I don't know about you but I love life. I love watching a beautiful sunset or taking a road trip with friends and if science and technology can extend that, then that's great.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

I disagree with that.

Nature did not give us technology, we chose to imitate nature with our tech. All of the things we use, not just tech, but scientific processes, architecture, and other creations are inspired by nature but not from it. To mock creation only benefits those who have the funds/resources to use it. There are many technological advances already upon us that cannot be accessed by most people, so it has no "practical" use until it becomes table scraps for the rich.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
less humane?
if i look at this topic i see the tendency
for humans to want any competitive edge regards of consequence.
for example steroid use. psychotropic drugs etc..
.we are already conditioned to insert things in our bodies -hearing aids, lens,
pacemakers, new teeth, joints, breasts etc..staple your stomach chubby? ..
so sure- get vaccinated and chipped- every bodies doing it..
it just makes life easier to go along with the programming..
besides -you want to be stuck with the organics? yuck..
they eat things from the dirt and smell funny..

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
less humane?
if i look at this topic i see the tendency
for humans to want any competitive edge regards of consequence.
for example steroid use. psychotropic drugs etc..
.we are already conditioned to insert things in our bodies -hearing aids, lens,
pacemakers, new teeth, joints, breasts etc..staple your stomach chubby? ..
so sure- get vaccinated and chipped- every bodies doing it..
it just makes life easier to go along with the programming..
besides -you want to be stuck with the organics? yuck..
they eat things from the dirt and smell funny..

and they look funny not SHINEY and PRETY like us and make weird noises and fart and and and.......

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think its important to put these technological changes into perspective. The concept of merging humans with the technology they create is already a well accepted part of your life - contact lenses, artificial hips, pacemakers, breast implants, not to mention the parts of your life that you rely upon for survival that don't reside within your body - electric devices for a/c and cooking, gasoline engines for cultivation and transport of food, etc.

Technology will advance, and has been for as long as humans began to make tools. The question is now that the exponential curves are catching up to us, where every few years we see what would have been a lifetime of change only a century ago, what are the possibilities?

Yes we could all merge into some sort of hive mind, or conversely, a super-computing brain implant could make each of us powerful individuals. The technology could theoretically support either outcome, but what occurs depends on individuals and the societies they live in.

Similarly, technology such as the suspension of aging and eradication of death by disease could certainly cause greater resource scarcity and over-population effects. However, technology can also be used to perfectly recycle every atom in our landfills or extract more mineral and energy wealth from space than we've ever had. It's all a matter of how humans choose to guide this process. If we spend all our time on aging and not enough on growing food more efficiently, if we spend more time speeding up manufacturing than managing our waste, we could find ourselves in some trouble. But if we balance our development, there's not necessarily the need for disaster.

Regardless of what happens, dangers lie ahead. Like harnessing the power of atomic reactions were used to both level and power cities, technology that's as big as our civilization can destroy or empower it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join