It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You (and/or your progeny) will be Assimilated! Resistance is FUTILE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
With the advancement of technology, it is my opinion that it is inevitable that mankind will soon become a species of Cyborgs. Now it is a given that there will be those who turn down such 'advancements' due to religious beliefs, the mark of the beast and such, but they will quickly find themselves as second class citizens, much like the invalids in the movie Gattaca. Eventually, the entire species will submit to the cybernetic improvements. Now let's take a look at what these possible, and probable improvements will be.

The Quantum Computer: While this technology is still in it's infancy, it probably won't be too long, 50 years at the most, before our current system of computers becomes obsolete and is replaced by the Quantum Computer. This computer operates on the atomic scale, thus a computer thousands of times more powerful than today's most powerful supercomputer could fit into a chip small enough to implant into and intergrate with the human brain, thus drastically increasing our intelligence and thought processing capabilities. This would also allow us telepathic access to a much more advanced internet, and telepathic communication capability.

Medical Nanites: Robots that are the size of molecules. While still hypothetical, it seems inevitable that they will someday become reality, and that day may not be too far off in the future, and will probably come soon after the quantum computer (due to it's assistance in the creation of nanites). Humans would then have a swarm of nanites inside their bodies that would be controlled by the quantum computer in their brains. Let's look at the benefits of such a tecknology:

Nanocomputers are small enough that several hundred of them could fit inside the space of a biological cell. Medical nanites could patrol your body, and armed with knowledge of your DNA, repel any foriegn invaders by forming an artificial immune system. The common cold would no longer exist, nor would threats of any biological or viral infection. Biological warfare would then cease to be a threat, also.

Source.

But is that the only benefit to medical nanites? The elimination of disease? No:

These nanites, composed of smart materials, could take over from the plastic surgeons and people would be able to remake their bodies, even change their sex if that was what they wanted to do. There would be no pain, no bruises, and the results would be overnight. Additionally, imagine your body and bones woven with invisible diamond fabric. This body "reinforcement" could increase your tolerance to "G" forces, enable you to fall from a 10 story building and walk away, replace the oxygen in your blood in case of fire or chemical spill, and allow you to walk away from normally fatal accidents.

Source.

Then there is the problem of aging:

Life consists of molecular machines controlled by a program (DNA). Aging is a disease and is the real number one killer of humans. With the new genetic therapies it is hoped that the aging process can be reversed within the next 12 to 20 years. With medical nanites, we can not only extend our lives but stop completely the aging process.

Source.

These nanites, in conjunction with your quantum computer could also allow your eyes to see in spectrums that are currently beyond their capabilities. In essence, we would go from being human to being super human.

Now the real question is, is this a good thing or a bad thing? With the arresting of the aging process, we would have to limit births as a society, lest we grow too large for our environment to sustain us. But then again, with the human potential unleashed, we just might figure out how to travel amongst the stars and spread our species throughout the galaxy, and perhaps even the Universe itself... Regardless, in my opinion, this transition from human to cyborg is inevitable, and could very well be lurking just around the corner...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Now I'm stuck in a quandry.

When I started reading the post, I was thinking "Ooooh baaad, baaaad". By the time I got to the end, I was thinking "Cool! Where do I sign up?"

Is it a good sign that I'm relatively happy to sell my integrity and individuality for the sake of some really, really cool gadgets?

I'm sure the nanobots could take care of contraception issues in the short term, but would we want that? It feels unacceptable now but perhaps the thought of having more than one kid will be considered exceptionally selfish in the future?

Not that long ago, it was common for people to have a larger number of kids - predominantly to make sure that some survived into adulthood. Most parents now would balk at the idea of having 8 kids. What's the possibility of parents in a few generation's time balking at the idea of having 2 kids?

It's a really interesting question, thanks for posing it!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Great subject...and as tech progresses, so shall the discussions centering on Transhumanism.

Covers the topic rather well and even throws in rhetoric...should be a wild ride - good stuff.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Now the real question is, is this a good thing or a bad thing? With the arresting of the aging process, we would have to limit births as a society, lest we grow too large for our environment to sustain us. But then again, with the human potential unleashed, we just might figure out how to travel amongst the stars and spread our species throughout the galaxy, and perhaps even the Universe itself....

IMO, cyborgs are a BAD THING. Why? because when you are capable of traveling to other planets, galaxies, dimensions that your human/natural/universe-created form would not allow you to, then you are corrupting the intentions of Our Universe's Design. Machines are not made by The Universe, they are secondary, hand made creations. By making these machines, you are creating an alternate Universe in a way, a FALSE Universe, because the material you pulled from the TRUE Universe is conducting in such a way that is NOT in accord with itself, so therefore, it must be against the design.

Perfection comes from all things natural. Anything unnatural will inevitably destroy ALL in its path until it too has reached the limit of self-destruction. Cyborgs EXIST, they are already here on OUR Planet, Battle Star Galactica is a lot more real that most would want to believe.

Our bodies were designed by THE STARS for the purpose of Ascension through death. We have hearts, we have pituitary glands that enable us to activate our third eye and NATURALLY perceive higher dimensions. It will NEVER be the same if you choose to accept these unnatural other-dimensional machines inside your body. It WILL alter you Universal wavelengths and vibrations, your body make feel and look healthier, but your soul will fade into nothingness, you will lose your childlike nature, and revert to the life of a senseless drone.

If you wish to know more about cyborgs, U2U me.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Good thread
When I See skynet brochures I will run for the hills. Seriously it is only a matter of time and time seems to be speeding up.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
speaking of agelessness-

As of 2009, natural selection has developed biological immortality in at least one species, the jellyfish Turritopsis nutricula, one consequence of which is a worldwide population explosion of the organism.

Turritopsis nutricula or immortal jellyfish is a hydrozoan whose medusa, or jellyfish, form can revert to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature. It is the only known case of a metazoan capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
We are humans. Trying to be something 'else' is disturbing to me. I keep thinking of the terminator.
Yikes!

Why would anyone want to be a part of a hive mentality? I'm all for individuality myself. We are all a beautiful creation, unique in all the world.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
my question mr roberts .is very simple ..do you find that the more Knowlege you gain the more depressed you become ? for a beautiful mind as yours must suffer from some sort of anxiety or depression

wonderful thread ,for i know not how to answer any of your questions ...

i bow to thee

Love Nephi

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wow this is an interesting thread. I can really see this happening. I've seen multiple reports about how quickly our technology has been and is predicted to advance within the next 20 years and I must say, I see the OP as being extremely possible; plus more. As far as technological advances vs. natural reconnection, eehhh, hard to say. I'd probably stick with being a naturally occurring superhuman (if I survive long enough). The ruling factor of tech would just be too much for my subconscious to handle.

Creepy vibes...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Most of the population of the earth is already being sterilized by GMO crops and Flouride in the water. Having a radioactive cellphone in your pocket next to your testes all day can't possibly help the situation. Population is already set to plateau and start its decline. Add in WWIII and they can clear another few million away easily maybe a few billion if it goes nuclear and the elite are already bunkered down in preparation for that. Natural (or not so natural) disasters will eliminate many more. The world economic collapse ensures that maybe a billion people will starve to death and die from civil unrest violence and crime.

By the time the level of technology your speaking of is available a good 80% of the human population should be gone.

The people that are left will be the richest and most powerfull people and the scientists and engineers they need to develop their technologies for immortality, as well as a servant class to dominate. What good is wealth and power if you can't lord over people you consider inferior to you.

So eventually there will be a few all powerfull cyborg immortals ruling over a mindles herd of slave drones.
Antigravity technology and free energy technologies will give these few the ability to travel in space and to other solar systems. The technology already exists but has been suppressed and classified.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is true.

Humans have to embrace the eventual merger with technology. I know that the collective psyche fears this and you can see it in movie after movie(The Matrix, Terminator, iRobot, Surrogates and more).

It's something we can't avoid though. First there will be human and non human entities. Non human entities will be manufactured with the best genes and eventually they will be implanted with microchips so they can process information faster and mechanical limbs will make them stronger and efficient.

We also will have very real virtual reality environments when quantum computers come on line. Imagine having a laptop with more computational power than the entire universe. It will be easy to simulate a virtual universe that's indistinguishable from our universe on a quantum computer.

I don't think there's anything that we can do about it and we should embrace it. Just look at our lives now. They depend on things like the internet and Blackberries and iPhones to participate in the global economy or the global social structure. When things like nanotechnology and quantum computers become efficient, it will be 100 times worse. You can always escape into a virtual world of say 1970. Maybe go into this virtual world as Rock Star or Famous Actor and forget the fast life of the future world.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
im not sure if id keep my body or go chrome...its a hard desicion
i love my body natural but......id still go chrome

ps:this sounds like shadow run lol "more chrome less soul"

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Your thoughts regarding the proper use of nature's material brought to mind something from the Hebrew book of Genesis. Ch 1 vs 28 "...Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."

If we are to subdue nature, does that mean we can take all the constituent parts and control them and use them as we see fit?

This isn't really a religious question, it's just a philosophical one, based on our apparent position of authority (apparent by us being top of the food chain, not withstanding that the biblical verse asserts the same sentiment)

Can we take all of nature, subdue it and use it for our purposes - can that include manipulating the raw materials around us to improve our own physical forms? Does anyone else worry about the inherent dangers of self-supporting nanotech (including the accompanying risk of 'grey goo' expansion)?

I'm reminded of the short story - The Last Question in terms of where the thoughts are conceptually leading us..

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephi1337

The longer I spend on ATS the more miserable I get!

It's not just the disinfo, the fatalistic fear of the PTB, the devastating terrors brought on by the propagation of the alien agendas and so forth; it's the overwhelming feeling of inconsequence I get when considering any and all of my actions and life decisions to date!

I wish I'd been born a simpleton. I'm sure lots of people on this site feel the same - IGNORANCE IS BLISS!

And yet, we must DENY ignorance. And besides; I just can't stop myself from reading - there's so much to learn!

Sheesh. Roll on wagon, roll.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

lol i know
we just keep coming back for more and more until...
anyways i think ill start work on a robotics degree oh i can see it now @tokyo japan@ "we are here now witnessing a very catastrophic thing it seems as if several mecha have gone haywire and started to destroy all the creator is making somthing that MAY stop them police from all over are trying to stop these things"cop1"yes we have taken on godzilla we can take on a simple mecha"

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
id go chrome but i refuse to be in a hive mind...it's just i want to do what i want to do man no hive mind ,super natural humans , weapons of ANY sort will EVER stop me i like my mind...id most likely be the hive mind leader though
because i have a VERY logical mind

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I agree for the most part. But it's always been the trans part of transhumanism that sort of bothers me. Also, religious considerations aren't the only one that'd keep some people from wanting such enhancements. It is viewed by some as leaving behind their humanity and many are hesitant to do such. Then there is possible aesthetic considerations.

As for being assimilated. Hell no. Would never willingly give up my individuality.

edit on 14-9-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Im almost definitely sure you can do all that with out the assistance of a computer. But there is no way i would to submit to the possibility of that kind of control by other people. Because in the end we would all end up a prisoner to a tyrant in our own body as a slave to tech.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I would love to be a part of this futuristic future but I'm not a wealthy man and there is no place for the poor in this future. The rich seek to exterminate us believing in a form of economic darwinism where those who are not profitable are rushed to die and those who are profitable will obtain near immortality. It's not fair.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Nah, I'll take the simple, natural life every time. Why are people so paranoid about getting old? It's just a natural cycle, why do people want to see things they can't yet imagine?

These things are all part of the Agenda forced upon us by the media. We are programmed to be discontented, to fear growing old, etc.

Love is what we need, not technology. Love, peace, truth are the only things which will help this world, and the only things which the human soul truly craves.

Simplicity, mother nature and contentment support this, not more techniques to fight and distort the natural process of things.

The quest for 'MORE' is an endless road, and only leads to MORE need for MORE, and it's what got us into this terrible mess in the first place.

edit on 15-9-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join