It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find new, potentially AMAZING, uses for Nanodiamonds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Scientists from Taiwan have developed nanodiamonds that, when swallowed, harmlessly coat the digestive track. When coated with special sugars or proteins, the nanodiamonds are absorbed into the body and attach themselves to specific cells.

Nanodiamonds are tiny pieces of pure carbon only a few of nanometers across. (One nanometer is about 100,000 times smaller than a human hair.) Most nanodiamonds are formed by blowing up TNT or other explosives to create high temperate and high pressures that bond carbon atoms together in a classic 3D diamond nanostructure.

Next, the scientists fed two types of nanodiamonds to the round worm C. elegans. The first batch of nanodiamonds were uncoated, just pure carbon with a few nitrogen atoms. Those nanodiamonds coated the digestive tract of the transparent roundworm.

The second batch of nanodiaonds the roundworms ate were coated with a special sugar. Once inside the roundworm, the nanodiamonds passed through the digestive tract and into the body of the worm, congregating at various points inside the body.

Both the coated and uncoated nanodiamonds glowed purple when yellow light was shined onto the roundworms, revealing their location inside the worm. All the bejeweled worms had normal lifespans, and none of them showed any sign of distress, said the scientists.

Source: DiscoveryNews

When my classmates and were discussing this at school a few days ago, the first thing that came to our minds was Carbon Filtering.

Carbon Filtering is a great way to filter out the impurities in water that you need to drink. My thought is: could coating your digestive track with these nanodiamonds actually be a way of filtering water?

Tell me what you think, ATS. Regardless of the filtering uses of this, there are still other, remarkable uses for them, such as treating cancers. Read the entire article.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well, it would seems like a great technique for the targeted delivery of medicines to specific locations of the body. Perhaps they could use this to provide a ingestible form of insulin for diabetics and tergeted cancer treatments that could attack the cells specifically without poisoning the entire body.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If it filters the water in your digestive tract, what happens to the stuff that gets filtered out? Would it accumulate and cause problems?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
What happened to the worms?

And wouldn't it be "digestive tract"?

edit on 9/14/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nanodiamonds.....

For the girl you really don't think much of.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Nanodiamonds.....

For the girl you really don't think much of.

Or maybe, you're Mork from Ork and just want to say "Nano Nano - Love You" the DeBeers way?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Interesting, if they can really customize what the nanoparticles attach themselves too. I wonder if having this thin coating of nanodiamonds can have protective features. I have esophageal damage from vitamin C dissolution in the esophagus several yrs ago: it causes severe esophagus pain when combined with acid reflux (vicodin cant help). Maybe i could swallow some nanodiamonds to coat my esophagus and become the CarbonMan.

top topics

join