It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you say this is fair?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ive been meaning to get this off my chest for a long while and i might as well post it here;

Basicially, Id just like to hear if you think its fair or not; because personally its almost like bullying.

I joined a forum not too long ago called WW2 talk and as soon as i joined the folks their were just akward, For example i made a thread that i wanted help getting to sleep (its a pretty big problem for me and the Doc prescripted sleeping tablets for me in the end)

So yeah i made the thread and minutes later a few people were giving me a bad reputation (i dont know if they have it here but on that forum you could give people good or bad rep and you get some badges or something etc)
and people were saying things such as quote "Tw@t get to bed" "But what I ask myself is; if 'Militant' was up very late, and maybe a tad pissed?"

-_-

Then later on i make a general thread called Was the british empire a good thing (It interests me all these old colonial empires) and the majority of the people who posted seemed to enjoy ganging up on me,

"Could you have a smaller signature and why did you post the same question three times ?
I've deleted the other two posts asking exactly the same thing. "

And later he said,

"A most excellent post , Militant.
It's actually shorter than your signature.
That must take some doing. "
"

What a mod said, sarcastic or what? (hes also the guy who called me a twat) For a start i didnt mean to have such a long signiture i thought it was my profile and i was merely listing my family members who died in the war.

Then some other guy said THANKS MILITANT and laughed and said i was a chav.

Another chap said i always talk in the wrong tone and pointed out further flaws and said the writing style looked terrible.

Then (i updated my sig) and said something that i wanted to be a soldier once i got my history degree, and some cowardly troll said i talk a load of rubbish and then quote "you actually want to die in a war?"

Of course i dont, i just want to serve my country and besides being in the army doesnt acctually mean your in combat all the time; in some army jobs you dont even learn how to fight, ie communication etc.

Then i dared to challenge that mod (Owen) not rudely i just asked why he was up so late (after all he kept saying get to bed blah blah.)

And immediately people sucked up to him and said
"Owen's a Mod - he asks the questions not you.
Show some respect, get a grip of the site rules or leave"

So hes allowed to bully and im not allowed to even ask him polite questions?

What a jerk.

Then Bang. I was banned by the Admin and in the reason box,

You are banned indefinately
Reason: See you mate

~A

Then i checked the thread and people were all on his side surprise suprise saying things such as "Good call" and whatnot and then he further insulted me and then said that theyve done my "homework" And another tried to be cool and posted "another one bites the dust"

Tell me, what did i do wrong? I was always polite and asked a few questions and i got ganged up on and eventually banned.

But it gets better,

I joined another forum called WW2f I lasted longer on there, posting, helping out people, welcoming new members, ecetera and not once did anyone salute me or give me good rep and this one time i mentioned what happened on the prior forum and the same kind of thing happened, but later i was supposedly racist by using the term "Jap"

Frankly, i thought it was just abbrevation but they soon attacked me; Some guy who claimed he was japanese said he was "deeply insulted" and then everyone was all saluting him and then i apologised and said it was a geniue mistake and then the admin kept repeating what the last guy said and i said something along the lines of:

I know! and im geniuely sorry but to stop further arguements i suggest we lock this thread?

And then what do you know, Im banned!

Pathetic bunch really, I mean seriously.
At least its off my chest now,
But what do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I say screw that forum we're better than that here. Even I'm better than that! There just your typical group of what I like to call "chair jockies". Basically spiteful pricks who have nothing better to do than sit around all day bashing other people via the internet to make themselves seem superior in the eyes of other chair jockies.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Militan

Dumb Jap, better than calling him a zipperhead

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
haha, thanks buddy; your right their probably so insecure in real life they have nothing else but the internet

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Perhaps you should view this as an opportunity to learn something about yourself?

I know it is a bitter pill to swallow, but you could turn it into a positive experience by looking at what raised their ire in the first place. Could you have been at fault somehow - at least in part?

Anyway, it was an interesting post and i wish you all the best.

edit on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:21:49 -0500 by Silver Star because: I before E, except after C.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That was indeed a racist term you used, but if you truly did not know, they probably should simply have informed you. The rest of that is just bizarre. I wonder if they thought you were a previosuly banned member come back to cause trouble. Either that or they are all nuts.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have learned that by being banned it shows you are not a sheep. Be proud my friend, be proud!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sounds like the WW2 forums mentioned consist mostly of middle school footballers. No insult to any footballers here at ATS by the way.

Stay away from "forums" that allow only one point of view to be accepted. You shouldn't exprience that here for the most part.

Welcome to ATS my friend.

edit on 11-9-2010 by Sanity Lost because: I can't spell on only one cup of coffee.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The first thing that comes to my mind is who cares what others say good or bad honestly. I mean whats the point really? If you look at it like this people participating in forums don't know you and all they can go by is what you write and if you don't like there response then don't participate simple as that. There is no need to get reassurance about you maybe getting bullied take it as it is and move on.

Welcome to ATS

edit on 11-9-2010 by QuestionTheGovernment because: added welcome

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
First of all, welcome to ats

second,
I really hope you learned a lesson in that other forum, the reason you where banned is because you copied text from other (older) sources on the net and claimed it as your own words.

When you do that over here, use other people's work, at least provide a source and some credit and all is fine...

but I agree they didn't have to bully you all over the place

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Welcome to the internet

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
maybe we all racist in dat belief if we say a word other then a persons nationailty who figures fudge dat site.... but i wanna say we all need to figure out whats disrespectful to one group and try not to hurt or humanitiy we all got the same dna wht blk yel. purp whateva remember the fact as this those were not everybodys wars all japs were not in the military u gotta dechipher between the two

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I wouldnt call it racist I didnt know shortening a word made it racist, That would be like crying over someone calling me a Yank.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Militan

Damn straight, dweebs with no happiness outside of the internet

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I've never been able to figure out why it's considered racist to say Jap (short for Japanese) but not if you say Brit (short for British). Just another double standard IMO.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Never take comments personally online.
All forums have their share of idiots, and yes some mods are too.
If that's the case, you should move on because you will never win.
If you are familiar with the 'comic book guy' from the Simpsons, just imagine that voice as you read their insults.

Too many egos are overinflated on the interwebs.
I blame the damp air in their mother's basements.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Besides, those forums arent anywhere near as popular as these are; I got a question; what does it mean by flagging?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
flagging is a means of bringing attention to a thread.

top topics

join