It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greetings from South Africa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm still trying to find my way around here but i'm glad to be part of the ATS community.I've been visiting the site for a while now and finally decided to join up.
Anyway,not really sure where to start first but i geuss this is the best place..

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hello, welcome to ATS!

You have to have twenty posts before you can start any threads of your own, but just get stuck in and you'll have the twenty in no time!

Any ATS topics in particular that interest you?

Have fun!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Thanks man.I'll get posting right a way.
Na,not anything particular at the moment.Just hopping from one topic to the next.Think I'll go down the line of politics(maybe).But almost everything is interesting and new to me.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
welcome along to ATS!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost
I'm still trying to find my way around here but i'm glad to be part of the ATS community.I've been visiting the site for a while now and finally decided to join up.
Anyway,not really sure where to start first but i geuss this is the best place..

Hows it!

Welcome to the mad house. Watch out for the scoundrels beca.. oh thats me. Never mind ! Oo

Must say i absolutely love the SA accent, could listen to it all day long, pity this is a written medium, but I'll pretend! hehe

Hope the place does not scare you off too quick, once you get to know everyone that is lol

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f934de515d0a.gif[/atsimg]

Welcome aboard SlovenlyGhost.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ah,thanks guys.I feel welcome already.

I've heard before people digg our accent.Depends on which one,though.Mean,the afrikaans one,english one(which sounds alot like an aussie)or the black one?

Anyz,think i'm getting the hang of things already.How does this adopt a newby work?If anyone is interested I'm up for adoption.
I'm disease free and i don't pooh on the carpets

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
welcome i love a point of view from a different place.... i think u'll find this website informing cuz i have..... as a new member i open my arms to welcome you and if something wierd goes on in SA let it be known

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

Hi SlovenlyGhost, and welcome to the ATS community. For now, you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only.
Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

NEW! ATS Video Tutorials

Terms & Conditions Lite!

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Moderator.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Theres alot of stuff going on in South Africa that would be seen by most as weird in some way...
It's the crime/rape central of the world.We've had xenophobic attacks on refugees,genocide,ect.The goverment is corrupt and power hungry.
Pretty sure theres alot of other underground stuff going on that we,the citizens of South Africa,don't know about.Sex slavery and that.
Recently they've been trying to shut down the media.Or atleast try and control it...not sure what happened with that.They are trying to pass some bill.Think we'll end up like Iran or worse...Zimbabwe.
We almost had civil war just before the Soccer World Cup because someone decided to murder the founder of the AWB(right wing group)on his farm.thankfully that never came to pass.
Right wingers here will tell you white people are slowly being murdered out.Its hard to agrue with stastics.200 000 murders a year.3000 white farmers since 1994.
So yeh...alot of stuff is happening here.No UFOs yet...
but we have alot of aliens in our country(illegal aliens that is).lol

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Welcome to the ATS welcome parade

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Welcome man.

Glad to see another South African here. Let the truth be known to all

VVV

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Welcome here on ATS from a former South African - now an expat --- things just got too "hot" down there. Me and my missus packed the bags and made a move as far as possible away from a country we loved so much. To be honest, not an easy thing to do - have to start from scratch all over again, but I rather live free with just the basics, than having to endure the pressure and stress created by criminals and politicians in South Africa.

My family and friends in South Africa are permanetly in my thoughts and I really hope that things will be sorted out there somehow. I have found that South Africa is barely featured on this forum, so perhaps you can start some discussions re issues in SA. I am looking forward to your posts.....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ysterlong

Things in SA isn't as bad as some would have you believe mate. Sure we do have mayor problems with goverment, but doesn''t all countries? Things are getting better here, sure. But some persistent problems still prevail.

Like any country out there, Goverment is our biggest concern.

VVV

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Things are getting better here, sure.

Hi VVV, great to hear from you and good to hear things are getting better on your side. Unfortunately that is not the general message I get from other people staying in SA. I am reading the SA newspapers on a daily basis, and if I can believe what I read there, then things are not looking too bright.

I do not know from which part of the country you are, but Gauteng - where I lived - is definitely not for sissies. I see in today's newspaper a 9 year old girl was raped yesterday in the area where I lived.

Just in one newspaper on the today's frontpage:
9 year old girl raped
Durban woman shot 5 times
Girl shot during exam protest

Sorry, but something is not right in SA...

I truly hope that things get sorted out there.

edit on 14-9-2010 by Ysterlong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ysterlong

Things are getting better here, sure.

Hi VVV, great to hear from you and good to hear things are getting better on your side. Unfortunately that is not the general message I get from other people staying in SA. I am reading the SA newspapers on a daily basis, and if I can believe what I read there, then things are not looking too bright.

I do not know from which part of the country you are, but Gauteng - where I lived - is definitely not for sissies. I see in today's newspaper a 9 year old girl was raped yesterday in the area where I lived.

I truly hope that things get sorted out there.

Unfortunately news papers only report the bad stories. I hate that. Why isn't the good news ever reported?
Because drama, rape, murder, theft, etc sell stories. Read your paper man but please take everything with a pinch of salt. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion.

I stay in the Cape Town area, and yeah, maybe things here are a bit more laid back than in Gauteng. Although, my car has been stolen once, my house broken in a couple of times. Sure most people have experience some kind of criminal act against them, but I still love my country. It is beautiful.

May I ask which country you immigrated too?

Sorry just saw, New Zealand.

Also remember, so people will only see the negative. I honestly don't know why people in SA will always complain about the crime etc. Yes it's bad, but yet they still live here. It might be that we white south africans feel we are being punished for the past.

I can't give you the answers mate, but I can give you my perspective.

VVV
VVV

edit on 14-9-2010 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: had a couple more things to say

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I am staying in New Zealand. It is exactly the opposite of South Africa. Government is not corrupt - one of the ministers got fired because he used his official credit card for personal entertainment and goods. Link to story here. Good Police force, low crime, friendly people, no racial issues. And it is a beautiful country - the whole place (Northern Island) looks like the Garden Route in SA. Here you are evaluated on performance and merit - not skin colour or your relationship to people in the right positions.

As far as your comment regarding things getting blown out of proportion, I have to agree that it does happen, but facts are facts - even if there are a million good things to be reported, the bad things still stay bad and cannot be swiped under the carpet. The links that I have provided in my previous post does not look to be blown out of proportion. Me, my family and friends are very sensitive to these kind of things and find it totally unacceptable.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I agree with everything you say.

However, people can't go around saying "South Africa shot a woman 5 times", or "South Africa raped a 9 year old child" . These are horrible stories, and horrible realities we live in. But it's the individuals that are to blame and not the country.

A friend of mine wanted to immigrate to New Zealand a while back, but returned, complaining there where to many Asians around. WTF? Yet he cannot blame the country for that. It's an individual problem. Sure there is countries around with much lower crime rates, like New Zealand or Canada, there is no denying that.

Call me a patriot, but I love my country, and strongly doubt if i would immigrate. Sometimes i feel like i want to though, but i just can;t.

VVV
s

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

A friend of mine wanted to immigrate to New Zealand a while back, but returned, complaining there where to many Asians around.

Good thing your friend returned to SA. There is definitely no place for racists in NZ.

Keep up your positive attitude - not much of that is left in SA.
It is now just past midnight in NZ - will have to go to bed now.
Peace!.....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Indeed mate, and thats what i also said. When he told me that, i released that the individual is the problem and not where he is from.

Anyway, would you ever consider coming back to SA? Surely you don't support the All Black rugby team? Springboks forever!!

VVV

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join