It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Chimpanzees Are Learning How To Outwit Human Hunters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well chalk one up for the primates and there uncanny ability to conceptualize and learn through observation. Chimpanzees have been observed teaching their young about snare traps, and even how to disable them by avoiding the wire.
Throughout Africa these snares are responsible for the deaths and injuries of not only chimps but other animals as well.

In Bossou ,Guinea however, there have ben less success for hunters using the snares. Here the chimps actually set out to disarm the snares without getting hurt.
This is a first in the animal world and a testament to these creatures learning abilities.

Stories like this make me happy, in that not all animals remain defenseless against some of the more nefarious plights of humans

In the journal Primates, the researchers describe six separate cases where chimps were observed trying to deactivate snares.
Mostly, the chimps grasped the snare stick with their hands, shaking it violently until the trap broke.
Sometimes a chimp lightly knocked the sapling that holds the snare, before grasping it to break the trap.
But in all cases, they avoided touching the dangerous part, the wire loop.
In the video above, chimp can be seen seeking out and inspecting snares, without breaking them.

There is a good video in the article too.
news.bbc.co.uk...

spec

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Fantastic story... We (humans) have in a basic sense been out-smarted,,!! I say give the chimps guns and then well have a completely even stage.....evolution ..

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Fantastic story... We (humans) have in a basic sense been out-smarted,,!! I say give the chimps guns and then well have a completely even stage.....evolution ..

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

LOL, Charles Darwin Strikes Back! Chimps! FTW!

That is cool though,OP. Nice one.

edit on 9/11/2010 by hhcore because: i forgot the cool part...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
We'll show those arrogant Humans who's the boss!!!

To the secret chimp nuclear silos!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
And so it begins...

We must protect the Statue of Liberty!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Evolution of chimps
or
de-evolution of mankind ?

and we thought we only had to build a better mousetrap....

edit on 11-9-2010 by snowspirit because: still thinking

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Let's train these Chimps how to defend themselves with an AK-47. Talk about Gorilla warfare!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Evolution and knowledge in action. Just more proof to show all religions are false.
Have any Christians ever read the Epic of Gilgamesh? I guess it's fine not reading a story that inspired Noah's Ark. But you guys take to another level.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
PurpleDOG UK

LOL, Charles Darwin Strikes Back! Chimps! FTW!

That is cool though,OP. Nice one.

msm debunks darwins theory i knew that would happen if we evol. from monkeys there would be none left.... no need for proff i took genectics from high school til college our dna doesnt match up. blank period

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thecause

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. We evolved from a common ancestor. You have no clue what evolution is to disagree with it. Study about evolution then come back at me.
wiki.cotch.net...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Wow, make my day! Way to go Chimps - show those killers what you know!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The monkeys are laughing all the way to the banana bank.
What next, people traps and snares.
good stuff OP!!
Must be the home schooling for the chimps that did it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/65ac7f77acde.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 11-9-2010 by Krzyzmo because: ooops

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Thank you for all the comments guys and I am glad you enjoyed this as much as I have.

Here is another vid and they say chimps for the first time have been observed utilizing tools for killing/hunting other mammals. One was observed chewing the end of a spear in an attempt to sharpen it. This particular species happens to spend more time on the ground than in trees and is found in senegal.

spec

edit on 11-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: because

top topics

join