It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Puzzle (HHWC)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The scraping sound was irritating my ears. In my mind's eye, I couldn't imagine what was creating that persistent, galling sound. The SSSSHHHHRRRAAAAPPPSSSSHHHHH over and over with the occasional abrupt wet slap. I could not place it.

A very long time after I first noticed the scraping, it dawned on me, "Where am I?" This was voiced in my head. I also realized, I didn't feel anything. Not good. Not bad. Nothing. I thought, "I am hearing the sounds, but I don't feel anything. Wait, not only do I not FEEL anything, I don't see anything either." I had not realized I was in total darkness. Or so I thought.

Time passed, but I had no idea how long. Casually I noticed that my left eye had started twitching. Infrequently, but increasing slowly the movement continued. Also at this time, a faint glimmer of light became visible through my eyelids. I could almost make out the pattern of veins. "Progress", I thought. Progress? From what to what? I couldn't remember. I needed to remember, but I just couldn't. Putting the thought aside for the moment, I seemed to have plenty to spare, I concentrated on the scraping sound again. It was the dominant feature of my returning senses. Over and over it came, "SSSSHHHHRRRAAAAPPPSSSSHHHHH", "SLAP". Puzzling.

The next thing to return was a gradual feeling of coldness. Not a bit of a chill. No, an absolute coldness. It was so profound, it ached. As soon as I felt it, I wished it hadn't returned. The dull ache began to throb. The throb began to pound. The pounding resonated from my feet, which must still be there, to my scalp. "OOOOOHHHHHH" I thought, but no sound emerged. "What is going on?"

The scraping sound abruptly stopped. I then could hear the faint beating of my own heart. And a shuffling across what I assumed was the room I was in. A shuffling, a screech of metal and the plop of a heavy sounding burden being dropped or tossed. It resonated with a kersplat and a muffled pop. The shuffling resumed briefly. A grunt briefly complimented the shuffling, then, momentarily, the scraping began anew.

For the first time, I heard conversation. I think it was conversation. It was no language I had ever heard. Kind of a raspy whine, with an intermingled click. There was no way I could understand any of what was said. Two voices, one low and slow, one high and more quickly spoken. I tried to open my eyes, I needed to see those who spoke. I tried in vain. My eyelids just wouldn't lift. This was the first time I felt fear. Not being able to see when I realized I wanted to, triggered the knowledge that I was not in control of my situation.

I then began a fevered effort to move, anything. I thought movement to every part of my body. Nothing. The only movement was the slow rise and fall of my chest with each breath. This made no sense. I was perfectly fine... Wait. When had I been perfectly fine. How long did I remember being here? I had no idea. As I thought this, my heart started pumping the adrenaline that was finally triggered. Ah, then I had my first true movement, I began to shake.

I also began to moan. My teeth began to chatter. I felt my cold fingers grasp into claws. I felt a single tear, warmer than my skin roll from the corner of my eye. FEAR! The only emotion I could draw. I had to open my eyes. I couldn't stand it. I had to know what those sounds represented, who was speaking. I had to KNOW what was that... SMELL. I now could smell. OH, crap. It was worse than the cold. I knew what that smell was. I KNEW. Everything faded.

How long my faint lasted, I had no way to know. What it did do, however, was give my body time to further recover. When I awoke, I felt everything I had before, heard it all again, smelled it clearly. And my eyes opened. My brain could not register what I viewed. I recognized the things in my line of sight. But I couldn't categorize it. It didn't make sense.

I wasn't moving or moaning any longer. My teeth were still chattering. I panned my eyes slowly around my area. What I could see, though limited, was more than enough to realize I was in deep deep trouble.

To the left, starting less than ten feet away was a pile of people. Male, female, naked. They were mostly average build. That was not my pile. Upon reflection, and another quick look, my mind began to make assumptions. Mine was not an average build, I was more amply endowed in target areas, chest, hips, etc. I tried to look more closely around myself. I, too, was part of a pile. I was on the top side of a slightly bigger mound than the one across from me. Also naked. I felt my cheeks flush. EMBARRASSMENT? I am facing horror and I am embarrassed!

I looked across at the other pile again, trying to figure it out. As I did, I saw a pair of bugging blue eyes staring back at me. The mouth opened as if to scream but no sound. I then realized there was no awareness in them either. I was about to loose my cool when someone else did first. On the other side of that pile a man screamed. This did two things, first it made me jump which caused a shift in weight distribution, I slid to the bottom edge of the pile. Second, it got the attention of the momentarily forgotten other occupants in the room.

The shuffling sounds I had heard earlier, had been casual, slow. These movements were much quicker and targeted directly toward the screaming man, who was by now making his way off of his pile. Two, creatures, emerged into my view. The were big. They were a mottled greenish gray. They weren't just big. They were massive. They towered over the pile of people. One of them reached out with its arm, on the end of its arm was a hand of sorts with a claw on one appendage. It poked the man like you would poke a piece of chicken to see how tender in was. The man simply stopped, everything. No more screaming. No more struggling. The expression frozen on his face.

Click. A piece of the puzzle fell in place. They looked sort of like a mutant man frog. Sort of. Some frogs were poisonous. Something quelled that man in an instant. Survival dictated I avoid that claw. All this in a second's thought. I froze. Just in time. The two frog's, for want of a better term, were looking over the piles, looking, I was sure for more awakened ones. They touched a couple of other people, then turned and went back the way they had come.

When they were out of sight, I decided to learn more about my situation. A quick look at the others in my pile, quickly confirmed that we were all, more or less, more amply endowed than the pile to my left. I would say we were in the next weight class up if we were boxers. But I was not a boxer, I was a, uh, an accountant. The thought didn't come easily. That poison must really pack a wallop.

The sounds had resumed. The smell was just as strong. I didn't want to think about the smell yet. I needed to learn more about where I was. I was working past the fear. The terror that was underlying my thoughts, I kept at bay just enough to use as impetus.

How was I so calm? I didn't have time to consider this. I began edging around so I could see the area more clearly. Just a foot or so away from the edge of my pile, gave me more than an ample view. There was a third pile.

It was much bigger than either of the first two. It was bigger in two ways. First is was at least twice as large. More people. Secondly each of those people were obese. If they wore clothes, they would be the poster children for our societies abuse of fast food and toxic substances. They, like us, were naked. We were all in the same boat. Or were we. Why the different piles? The answer came all too soon.

One of the Frogmen approached the larger pile. It grasped a person in each hand and started back to where it came from. I crawled slowly in that direction. I had to see what was happening. I rounded the end of the pile. I had a clear view of a massive table type area. It was drenched in blood. As were two other Frogmen working at the table. The one with the people, laid them down between the two bloodied workers. He moved to the side. The two began nonchalantly gutting them. I felt no shock. It was as if I knew I would see this. Did I know I would see this? Had I seen it before? The smell I recognized, the blood and feces. Had I seen this before now? I sat flat on my butt on the floor. Puzzled. Why was I not screaming? I looked at my hands. Nothing unusual. Looked at my feet and legs. Then I saw on my right leg, two puncture marks. Two. On my left leg three. Large and discolored but not bloody. I had already been clawed. At least five times.

Then, suddenly, I knew what was going to happen to the bodies on the table. After evisceration, they pealed the skin and fat away from the muscle. They were very attentive to gathering every ounce of fat from the tissues. The skeletal remains with the attached muscular tissue were tossed aside for later processing. The main interest was the fat. In fact, the shorter fatter Frogman, from time to time, would stuff bits into his mouth as he worked. Then I knew the sounds would begin again, as they used the metal tools to scrape the fat from the skin to which it clung.

"SSSSHHHHRRRAAAAPPPSSSSHHHHH", "SLAP". The slap was the fatty tissue being thrown into vats. They were harvesting the fat first. Evidently the thing of most interest to them. We were their food. Their harvest. I felt numb. I just sat their watching. Thinking. Withdrawing.

'THERE IT IS AGAIN. THE SAME ONE. I AM TIRED OF RETRIEVING IT. CAN'T WE JUST GO AHEAD AND PROCESS IT?'

'I TOLD YOU WE MUST PROCESS THE PRIME DELICACIES FIRST. THE LEADERS DO NOT WANT SUB PAR FOOD. IT ISN'T RUNNING LIKE LAST TIME. IGNORE IT.'

edit on 11-9-2010 by BearTruth because: spelling correction

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Thank you for the stars. This was morbidly fun to write. When I started, I had a slightly different direction in mind, but the story seemed to write itself. My husband said it creeped him out.

edit on 12-9-2010 by BearTruth because: wording edit

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Nice victuals... er, visuals!

You had me interested from start to finish because we, the readers, became aware of what was happening at the same pace as the main character/victim, from the first flicker of sight to the deep pile carpeting and then on to the fatvats.

Well done.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thank you, Masqua
, I very much appreciate the comment. Every story I write has a piece of me in it.

SCARY TO THINK, HUH!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Oh, what a creepy story.

You painted an amazing picture. I too, fell in love with how we learned what is going on at the same time as the main character does.

Oh the end... I can just see you sitting there watching them prepare these other people. I wanted to yell at you to get up and run!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

It warms my frigid bones to know that my tale is appreciated. Alas, it seems a bit hopeless, doesn't it. At least for the humans!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am very appreciative of my additional stars and flags. I check everyday to see if someone has read my story. It almost feels like high school.
Well, maybe not. It is still exciting to read all the entries and comments. The competition is stiff, I like that.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
SHAMELESS BUMP. Due to the fact that my thread is quickly going by the wayside, I am writing this post to try and get more readers. Hey guys if you get this far in the thread, read the other stories too. There are some really good entries in this contest (including mine, OF COURSE!).

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In light of the fact that the competition is heating up, I think I had better "BUMP" my own thread.

It is great that the stories are coming and with so much variety. Keep em coming ATS.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
No need to *bump* I am sure like myself many people are just waiting for the right time to sit down and devour the stories in the contest, yep I said devour...

Now, I have to say that yours so far is the scariest thing I have read in a long time. When I make my private choices for these contests it is always the ones that I remember a week later that I choose as the winners, yours will be with me for a very very long time.

Best of luck to you in the contest and of course S@F

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, thanks for the encouragement. I think you are correct in thinking people will attack the stories with relish as time goes on.

I believe many people get into the "spirit" of things more as the month goes on.

Also, I am glad my story stuck with you, like that little piece of food between ones teeth.
BearTruth

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It is October 23, only eight more days to go,
Hurry now, most quickly, write your tales of woe.

Don't let the subject matter scare you
That is the story's job to do,

And besides, what could the evil fun be
If all the blood and gore was only on me!!!!!!!
edit on 23-10-2010 by BearTruth because: added evil, MUH HA HA HA

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

This story should inspire obese people
to lose weight.Really creepy story!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Well, mamabeth, either we trim our own obese bodies...or let them do it.

I think most would prefer to do their own paring down.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the story, BearTruth. Piles of bodies (and body parts) are just what I need to make my Halloween a little scarier. I don't think I'll ever think of frogs the same way again.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatwoods

Why, thank you, Flatwoods, for reading my little story. It is just my contribution to the horrific domain of short stories. When I reread the story, even my stomach twinges when the frogman has his snack!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Good one- keep eating and they may come for You!
Seriously, my stomach turned as I read this- lol
I concur with your hubby.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Thanks for the comment, Tribble. I can honestly say, I didn't know I had a story this dark in me. You just never know where you can go when you really let go. By the way, I've lost almost ten pounds since I wrote this.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
When you have masqua complimenting your stories, you know you have made it in the top three.

Conspiracy?

Great work
making me jealous of your writing talent. I don't see how I could even hope to measure up!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Wow. Pretty viscious portrayal of the food cycle. Kind of makes me sympathize with all the fish, poultry, and cattle. Just feels so morbid, I liked it!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join