It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What causes this to happen? (SLI)

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have a question that might sound silly to some.

But for some time now, I keep noticing that lights either go dim, or brighten up when im around.
It won't happen in the same place either. It's happened to me a few times in a day in different locations.

I also noticed it happens mostly when im alone.

I know there are plenty of reasons that lights go dim and bright but when it happens in different places it makes me wonder.

So I wanted to know, what causes this to happen? And can anyone relate to this?

Just to be clear, I am not saying it is actual me who causes this to happen, but it sure does feel that way.


edit on 13-9-2010 by Gazrok because: Added SLI to the title, as this is the more or less official term for the phenomenon)




posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi Oozii,

Here's a suggestion, that was suggested to me many years ago.

Every time you are near a light (any light), write it down in a diary. Note whether it is affected by your presence or not. Do this for 1 month. by the end of that month, you'll have a lot of reports.

At the end of the month, correlate how many lights have been affected compared to all the lights that haven't. Report back with your findings.

Cheers
Shane



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78
 


Thanks for the suggestion.

If you don't mind me asking, why was it suggested to you? And did you take the advice?



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii
 


A good friend suggested it to me one night when the topic of this came up.

I always though street lights went out when I was near them (and still kinda do to this day). By keeping a diary for a month, I could see the tiny amount of lights affected compared to the huge amount that wasn't. Not saying that you can't rule out interference from a person, but looking at the whole picture rather then isolated cases opened my mind.

Hope it helps!

Shane



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78
 


Thanks very much. I wouldn't mind doing this at all. I think i'll go out later on and buy a little notepad to write my experiences with the lights. Should be interesting.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Very interesting.

I dont know much on this subject but a few questions come to mind:

Do you suffer from a lot of static electricity?
Do you frequently gets shocks from metal objects?
Do the lights dim when you pass them or when you are standing near them?
How long do them dim for?
Do you feel anything different when this happens?

I dont know if writing down each instance for a month will answer your question but it certainly will give you some good figures to chew on.

Regards



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador
 


Do you suffer from a lot of static electricity?
>As a matter of face I do have alot of static electricity. I'm always shocking someone, something, and even the cat at times.

Do you frequently gets shocks from metal objects?
>I tend to get shocks from lots of things, from metal, or some simple like my Remote control. At time's when I give the shock it actually hurts.

Do the lights dim when you pass them or when you are standing near them?
>The lights dim when im around them. Sometimes I don't have to be around too long for the lights to dim or brighten.

How long do them dim for?
>Once they go dim I don't notice them go back how they were previously. Although I have had incidents where the light dims, brightens, dims, brightens.

Do you feel anything different when this happens?
>I can't say that I do, except I notice that sometimes when it happens my vision sorta goes blank.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any, or if anyone has any.





edit on 11-9-2010 by Oozii because: Add Text



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Lights tend to dim and get brighter. Perhaps you just happen to notice it more often.. I don't think you have anything to worry about. And if you think you have some crazy electrical powers, go try it out, but I'm sure its not.


edit on 11-9-2010 by Myendica because: add not



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the answers.

I think its static electricity build up in your body and nothing really to worry about.

I am ataching some links that may help you educate yourself on your situation and maybe some remedies to rest your mind.

Dont worry " You are not alone"


www.static-sol.com...

www.answerbag.com...



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Greetings Oozii

Interesting thread so i starred and flagged it .

I have a 2 questions.

What are the types of lights that you observe this happening in ? Try to be specific if you can .

And

What area does this happen in ? is it the same all the time or does the area vary ? Again try to be specific if you can .

Thanks
Mega


edit on 11/9/2010 by Omega85 because: Added Question



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
Greetings Oozii

Interesting thread so i starred and flagged it .

I have a 2 questions.

What are the types of lights that you observe this happening in ? Try to be specific if you can .

And

What area does this happen in ? is it the same all the time or does the area vary ? Again try to be specific if you can .

Thanks
Mega


edit on 11/9/2010 by Omega85 because: Added Question



Hi there Omega, I'll answer your questions best I can.


What are the types of lights that you observe this happening in?
Basically it's your typical light bulb. 13W 120VAC 60Hz. Like a lightbulb you'd use in a bathroom or room I guess.

What area does this happen in?
It happens in numerous area's such as bathroom, bedroom, outside light. Family house, friends house.. It's happened while at a restaurant aswell. There was a lamp about 2ft away and I noticed it go dim after sitting at the table for a few minutes.

Is it the same all the time or does the area vary?
It does happens in various areas. Not just at my house, but at other places such as family or friend's house.

Just to add, I remembered to create a thread on this because I was sitting outside (Around 1am) and I noticed the neighbors outside light dim. Which was about maybe 20 ft away.


edit on 11-9-2010 by Oozii because: Corrected answer.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It either means that God killed a puppy or an angel just got its wings.

I'll get back to you on it.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The "lights out" experience has happened to other ATS members as well. Below is a link to just one thread on the issue.
I tend to put out street lights as well as parking area/garage lights when I am in an unpleasant mood.


www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost
The "lights out" experience has happened to other ATS members as well. Below is a link to just one thread on the issue.
I tend to put out street lights as well as parking area/garage lights when I am in an unpleasant mood.


www.abovetopsecret.com...


Thanks alot for the link. I tried to find anything that relates to this on ATS but was not able too. I'll make sure to read through the thread and post. It just never has happened to me with street lights.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Not sure what causes this but I had a friend that use to come visit - he said everywhere he went the lights dimed. Every time he came to visit me the lights would dim and my stereo would go on the blink. It would take a lot of messing around to get it to work right again. Very interesting - does this happen to you more often when the weather is damp or dry. I think weather might have something to do with it as it affects our bodys in lots of ways.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I've had this happen to me but mostly with street lights, it's happened in houses etc too. What some people have told me is that it could be from an electronic device you have on you, like a cellphone for example, the radiation or something from it, just something from the electronic causing the light to dim or flicker, etc.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Not sure what causes this but I had a friend that use to come visit - he said everywhere he went the lights dimed. Every time he came to visit me the lights would dim and my stereo would go on the blink. It would take a lot of messing around to get it to work right again. Very interesting - does this happen to you more often when the weather is damp or dry. I think weather might have something to do with it as it affects our bodys in lots of ways.


It's the same despite the weather. I really can't say it's more when it's damp out or dry, but seeing how I live in Southern Cali, It's usually always warm. Hope that answer's your question.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't want to come across as the big bad skeptic in this thread, but I guess I am going to.

I think that what you are noticing is a couple of side effects of being a human being Apophenia i.e. the brains predilection for finding patterns in random data and Confirmation Bias i.e. noticing things when they conform to a preconceived idea and not noticing them when they don't.

Please note that this isn't the same as me saying that you are "making it up" or lying, I'm certainly not saying that.

These things occur all the time to lots of people i.e. noticing certain numbers all of the time, noticing the clock only when it is at a certain time etc etc

The experiment suggested above is a great idea and I think you will notice if you make a note of every time lights are effected when you are near them AND every time they are not you will be surprised at the results.

I have had the street light thing happen to me too, and I noticed it a lot for a while. Also recently I made a web site that featured a Box Fish as the logo and for a week afterwards I noticed Box Fish everywhere an advert started on TV with a Box Fish in it, I saw a poster with one on etc etc .. The thing is if I hadn't of been thinking about Box Fish in the first place I never would have noticed them


edit on 11-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii
 


Hey Oozii,

I used to have this very same experience. Occasionally I still get lights acting up when I'm near them, but no where near as much as it used to happen. I worked at a retailer for 5 years, and the last year I was there a set of lights in the factory-stock room, and another in the housewares department, would begin flickering any time that I got near them.

I have no idea what causes it. But, you're not the only one who's had it happen.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I don't want to come across as the big bad skeptic in this thread, but I guess I am going to.

I think that what you are noticing is a couple of side effects of being a human being Apophenia i.e. the brains predilection for finding patterns in random data and Confirmation Bias i.e. noticing things when they conform to a preconceived idea and not noticing them when they don't.

Please note that this isn't the same as me saying that you are "making it up" or lying, I'm certainly not saying that.

These things occur all the time to lots of people i.e. noticing certain numbers all of the time, noticing the clock only when it is at a certain time etc etc

The experiment suggested above is a great idea and I think you will notice if you make a note of every time lights are effected when you are near them AND every time they are not you will be surprised at the results.

I have had the street light thing happen to me too, and I noticed it a lot for a while. Also recently I made a web site that featured a Box Fish as the logo and for a week afterwards I noticed Box Fish everywhere an advert started on TV with a Box Fish in it, I saw a poster with one on etc etc .. The thing is if I hadn't of been thinking about Box Fish in the first place I never would have noticed them


edit on 11-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)



Hey thanks for your response.

You do make a valid point. I've noticed that aswell about other things.

I won't rule that out, but I'd like to hear other explanations if there are any.

Thanks again.




top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join