It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you can't trust robots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Why you can't trust robots

www.telegraph.co.uk

A new program enables a robot to detect whether another robot is susceptible to lies, and to use its gullibility against it by telling lies, researchers claim.

The robot could be capable of deceiving humans in a similar way, according to the scientists, based at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
And it begins!!!

'Its understanding of the concept of deception would enable the robot to avoid being captured, the scientists said.'

What kind of robots are these guys making?

I actually think that this is pretty cool, although the article is too short for my liking and not enough description of the actual mechanics behind it. As for souring public opinion of robots, we already have robots that can attack and kill people in the hundreds, albeit controlled by humans at this point.

Maybe this is just one step closer to 'artificial' intelligence reaching the 'actual' level...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
What????

This article make no sense at all

The breakthrough could lead to military advances through the development of robots which can disarm bombs and carry wounded servicemen from danger.

How can lying disarm a bomb?

Robot: Hey Mr
Bomb: Yeah!
Robot: You erm... Your in the wrong place
Bomb: Hmm well my gps location checks out, I'm all ready to explode and everything, are you sure?
Robot: Yeah erm your mission has changed, Bob told me to tell you
Bomb: You mean Captain Bob?
Robot: Yeah yeah captain Bob thats him
Bomb: Hahahahahahahah there is no captain Bob I was lying to test you, you idiot. BOOOOOOM

edit on 11-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Heh... well.. just like the MSM does to those who watch it.. Just like the governments do to their citizens.. Just like the police do to non-police folk. Just like the big corporations, just like Al Gore, Obama and most of the other elected.. err sorry slip of the tounge.. appointed.. officials... nothing new here.. oh wait.. we are talking about machines now.. sigh.. now the computers are doing it too... i thought it was just limited to Dibold boxes..

RDDS

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Why we can't trust robots? Have you not seen the movie I, Robot?

As long as Will Smiths kid keeps practicing Karate, we will be fine.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You can't trust them, just to a specific degree, point.
What if it gets a virus, it's a robot it does not know it's sick. We use our human side to deal with that, hey I'm crazy, I'm a nut job. A robot can't do that, it will kill and compute it's doing the best job.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I am becoming more worried about some of the advances in robotics, with every piece of news in the robotics industry I get more concerned, in the short term it's great to be making robots better, but I worry about the long term implications of rolling out robots on mass

edit on 11-9-2010 by Pockets because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

To trust a robot is to trust its programers...

Probably military, so hell no !!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I stopped trusting robots when I saw this video...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The beta model is the best

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
OMG thank you for the replies folks!!! Ha ha awesome.

This is literally how retarded I am, at first I thought the Beta model of the Big Dog was a real robot

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Wake up man

Lines

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Don't feel bad, I was thoroughly entrenched in watching right up until I saw an arm. All I could think at that point was "Awwww, damnit...."

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hahahahah I love the Beta model

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Seriously though, if you combine this technology of deception in with this:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

New technology could allow people to dictate letters and search the internet simply by thinking, according to researchers at Intel who are behind the project.

You are going to have total control of everyone

www.telegraph.co.uk...< br />

South Korea has deployed sentry robots capable of detecting and killing intruders along the heavily-fortified border with North Korea

edit on 11-9-2010 by Pockets because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Funniest video I have seen in ages! When it walked past that lady with the dog I knew something wasn't right

Sigh, no one else I show it to will get the reference...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Sigh, no one else I show it to will get the reference...

Say "hey have you seen this new robot?" show them the real one...then show them the beta

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I personally love this robot

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

What kind of robots are these guys making?

Maybe ones that can go around collecting taxes?

When it asks if you are with the Party, it will know if your answer is the truth and deal with you immediately.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I wonder how many large mammals have been shredded along the Korean border by mistake?

I did a thread a while ago about the use 'mind reading' tech. Including a link to an article about the wider implementation of panic sensors for more than just elderly people. The idea is the scanner can sense distress and alert authorities as suppose to having to push a panic button, or being alerted by a bracelet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Luckily for us at this point the so called 'mind reading' tech needs a lengthy calibration process with the patient before it is in anyway accurate. But I'm sure this will change in the future!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join