It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Manhattan' ice island splits in two

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The largest piece is approximately 152 square kilometers in diameter, or around 2.5 times the size of the New York borough of Manhattan, while the smaller piece is around 84 square kilometers, he said.
Source

There's a satellite image in the link although it's difficult to see.

The title is from the source, not mine. This is the same ice island that calved from Greenland's Petermann Glacier and made news headlines last month. It hit an island and they believe combined forces have caused it to break into two pieces. They speculate that the change in its mass will affect its movement and will probably move faster than it was previously.

I don't recall any speculation of it breaking into pieces although I didn't follow the development very closely. Although it's inevitable that climate change will enter the discussion I bring this forward simply for what it is; an ice island that split in two.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Why would global warming be brought into it? According to the article it split in two because it hit an island?
Also why is it called 'Manhattan' island if it's actually more than twice the size of Manhattan.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I don't think I've ever seen mention of an iceberg or Greenland mentioned here where someone doesn't bring it up. That and the fact that the article makes mention of it at the end. I speculate more people know the size of Manhattan and how better than to draw attention to the article than to conjure up thoughts and get ratings because of "Manhattan 'ice island'". Run of the mill sensationalism I presume.

new topics

join