It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Emo Culture

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
sorry, double post

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: double post

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by 19872012

So, Emo is 06 - what is 10?

I really want to know please.

There are two new fads: Vegetarian and Straight Edge, both gain more and more ground with teenagers. Why? Nobody knows, it's just another stupid "Look at me! I'm so different, i'm so better, i'm so great!" thing. (There are some stupid Teens who become Straight Edge just because they watch wrestling and like CM Punk who promotes that lifestyle as his wrestling persona
)

Emo is still a big trend, especially here in germany and trust me, those kids are not caring for the planet they care about whining and crying how "bad" their life is, how everything sucks and how they want to die. They really take it over the top here.
Though we have another big fad here, it's the "i'm a gangsta from da hood"-thing lot of kids, especially immigrants seem to like. They really think that munich or berlin are the gangsta towns. They're stupid but #ing funny at the same time

Ahahaha, straight edge isn't new and neither is it anything to do with a wrestler by the moniker of straight edge. Straight edge came about in the 70's or 80's and was promoted with hard rock/punk style music and culture but removing the harmful drug/alcohol lifestyle that went along with those particular things. It was a way of saying "look, just because I like rock music, wear black and look different doesn't mean I'm a deviant that is getting coked up, drunk, and doing stupid/harmful things."
Although I don't label myself and never have, I will say that I am straight edge. I abstain from drugs, alcohol, casual sex, and the usual lifestyle that goes along with the way I choose to look.
I think a few too many people try to "translate" all of these fads the kids are into and things always seem to get lost in translation.

As to the original topic of this thread, yes emo has been around as a label for at least the last 5-6 years or more and is usually associated with the more depressed and "suicidal" of the "goths", but they are not the only ones that resort to self harm within that sect of people, and more than anything they, like many of the "labeled" groups out there, have a big basis in music. A kid listens to a certain type of music, sees that others that listen to the same music act, dress, and think a certain way and will fall in line with the stereotypes. Truly the only ones that label themselves are the ones that specifically go out looking to turn themselves into the absolute embodiment of that "fad".
Just as the more recent one, "scene kids" did the same exact thing. They still have a goth/punk type basis but are more of the crazy, hyperactive, happy type in comparison to the "emo" group. So there you have it, one day it's cool to be super depressed and hate everything, the next it's cool to be super "out there" and crazy, but still just like everyone else.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

The whole emo thing is just an extension of a part of modern society that seems to have come to the conclusion that your emotions and "how you feel" about something is the overriding #1 most important thing above any sort of logic or facts.

LOL! That's so true......

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

They didn't invent emotion. I am one of those people who is always overcome by emotion. So hang me.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here....and nobody wants to hang anyone.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Which youth culture in the modern era didn't care about the planet? 50's-60's--beatniks, 60's-70's--hippies, 70's-80's--punks, 80's-90's--post-punk and and urban (grunge,goth, emo, indie, hip-hop) 90's-00's--post-modern recycled youth culture (all of the above in a mish-mash).
All these groups contained elements of the socially active and the socially disengaged. From communes to food-banks, to giant festivals such as the Us festival and live aid on the one hand, stoners in a basement on the other.
In the post WW2 world, youth culture has always been on the cutting-edge of social activism, including environmentalism.
With a little historical perspective, you'll see that there is nothing new under the sun. That's cool, though, right? It's all part of the process of growing up, which is not to say it's not sometimes important, effective, and having a lasting influence on the culture at large.
But, yeah, nothing new here. The first time I heard a band refer to itself as "emo" was 1998. Pretty sure that wasn't even especially early on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join