It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11: My Experience, My thoughts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just a little forward here: This thread is rather poorly written, because I struggled to write it. There is so much emotion tied up in this little thread. I tried to avoid getting into the politics of who did it and all that... I just wanted to share my experience, a few thoughts and stay away from the ugly debate.

This is meant to honor anyone and everyone who has been affected by the events that unfolded on that day... I ask that you respectfully stay away from the conspiracies, and share your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. I can not stop you though, and understand if you do get into the conspiracies.

I ask though, that everyone remain civil. Because this thread is in remembrance of those who died along with their families and anyone else across the world who was hurt by the events of this tragic day. So please be respectful of that and to each other.

Thank you.

I do not often post in the 9/11 forum, and with good reason. It is often a very hostile area. Filled with all kinds conspiracies, controversies and drama.

I am not here to participate in that though. Not now.

I am here to share my thoughts on the day and to remember the victims who died.

I was 14 years old on September 11th, 2001. I walked into my Biology class and an acquaintance of mine told me " we are going to war". At this point I had not heard the news. So naturally I was rather confused as to why he would say such a thing.

My teacher walked in with tears in her eyes, and she broke the news to those of us who did not know. A plane had crashed into one of the world trade center buildings. She turned on the TV and we watched. I did not know what to think as I saw the replay of the plane crashing into the building.

At this point I, like many others, thought it was just a horrible accident. All I could think of was the poor people who had died in that plane. Little did I know, it was just the start of what is arguably one of the worst days in American history.

I will never forget watching the news crew talking, when all of a sudden, a second plane comes out of nowhere and just crashes into the other building. It was then, that I, along with everyone else, realized this was far more than just a horrible accident.

Many in the classroom were crying. I was more or less in shock. I had grown up thinking all the typical patriotic tripe that most others had heard. " This is America the greatest and most loved country in the world. We have the best army in the world and no one could ever hit us on our own soil. We are unstoppable"....

This second plane hitting, marked the beginning of an "awakening" for me. Now, I hate to use that word, as it is often used as an insult, telling others to wake up and stop being sheeple, but it fits. I was slowly realizing, that things were not quite as I had been raised to believe.For the first time I realized, that we are vulnerable. We are not perfect. We can be hurt.

We spent the rest of the day, watching the news in each classroom, wondering... just what to do next.... Hearing the news of a plane crashing into the Pentagon, and even into a field in Pennsylvania.After school, I was picked up by my dad. This was the very first time I was to hear of Osama Bin Laden. We talked about it on the way home and listened to the news on the radio.

I remember him speculating that Osama Bin Laden, was the one responsible. I cannot recall his reasons for thinking it was him, but it seems, he was right. I got home to find every TV in the house showing the news, each on a different news station.

All I could do was sit and watch. I recall watching as the death toll rose and rose. Still ultimately unsure of what to think of everything that had unfolded before me.I guess you could say, I was in shock. Shock that this could even happen. Shock that so many had died. Shock... that our country was bleeding.

I never hear much about this, but I remember when the no fly order was placed across the nation. The only aircraft allowed in the air, were military and government aircraft. Now, living just a few miles away from a private airport, things seemed especially quiet.

The lack of aircraft noise, just made the events, that much spookier... It was as if the US had had the wind knocked out of it, so it could not make a noise.... I will never forget that eerie quiet. Never.

The evening after the flight ban was placed,my heart raced in fear as I heard a helicopter coming towards our house. It was then that I realized how scared I was. How hurt I was. I rushed outside to see what it was, half way convinced I was about to witness another tragedy. What I found though, was a government helicopter flying by though.

It was then that I finally cried. "they're all dead" I said. "They were murdered...but why?"

Yes I was still rather naive, and was only learning to realize, that the US was not always as loved by others as much as we loved our own country....

As time went by though, I started opening up to the realities of the world... Harsh realities, that the world is an ugly place, and even my own country is not so pristine as I had thought.

Yet, I, like most of the country at the time, wanted to go in there and get those bad guys, who would dare hurt our country. Now, we did go in eventually, but I found myself growing increasingly frustrated and confused... Why are we pursuing Suddam, if Osama was the one responsible?

I stood by and watched as we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, and slowly, along with the rest of the nation, grew wary, after it seemed we either could not or would not find Bin Laden.

Look at me, getting into the politics. It is hard to talk about all this with out getting into opinions and all that, so bear with me when I stray.

The events of that day have stuck with me. They have forever been burned into my head and heart. Ever year around this time I hear people saying " Never forget"... How could I thought? The wounds are so deep. It hurts today, just like it did when it happened. The wounds are deep enough, that I am unsure I will ever truly heal.

To think, of all the people who died. We are talking sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends and so on...

I started this thread, with the idea of just sharing my story... A sort of "where was I" type of thing... But I just don't think I can continue in that direction. This thread is a mess, I apologize, my thoughts on the whole subject are so many though, it is hard to get them organized. Just know I am speaking from my heart.

Look, so many were hurt. So many died and so many lives were changed for ever. It hurts to watch the footage of 9/11. I get teary eyed every time and I am sure I always will. To see those people jumping out of the buildings, because their only chance of survival is to jump 90 stories and hope for a miracle...

Can you imagine how scary it must have been? 9 years. Nearly a decade... and it still hurts. It still hurts.

I long for peace, yet I see the world falling apart more and more... We see hatred and war, and fighting. Racism, bigotry and anger. Hell, we are even dealing with a pastor who is hell bent on burning Quran's here, despite massive world wide protest...

I am unsure of how to end this thread really, so I guess I will just end with a plea. One that I am sure you have heard many times.... I love you all. I am asking you all, across the world, to take my hand in peace and love. For the sake of the world. Please, take my hand.

Walk with me in peace. Everyone. Just try it? We have tried war and anger... that does not work. Why not try peace and love? What is it going to do, kill you?

Regardless of who you think did it, or what story you believe or buy into. One fact remains. And that is that around 3,00 innocent people died. Needlessly. Let us all put aside our fighting... For just a while... Join hands in peace, world wide, and just for a moment. Try peace.

I dedicate this thread to those who died on 9/11 as well as their family, friends, and everyone else who has been hurt from the events of that day. May the world overcome and join together in peace.

Peace and love....

edit on 11-9-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
When I heard about it, and when I saw it on TV, I thought that they should go after those bad guys

so, yes, they did won that day (the ones responsible for the war agenda), but I was very young, your age too, so, I was easy to manipulate

but really, most people felt that way that day, that they should go after those bad guys, so, its not hard to believe why they approved the war so easily

but really, to go to the war like 2 days after, thats just crazy to think they found out so quickly who did it, and that a whole country was to blame for that

thats what I dont understand ... but, as you said, to keep the thread about our experiences those days

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
thanks gimme_some_truth for bringing this up and thanks for caring.

i have been far away from 9/11 and i am still far away from 9/11 due to geographical reasons, it didn.t happen in my country but in the country of my friends.

so i suffered with them.

i also remember the day clearly.
was a usual working day for me, my son was 4 years old and in kindergarten.

due to the geographical reason i am 6 hours ahead of new york time and i was working so i didn.t get any news around 3pm (9am EST).
at 4:30 pm i picked my son up in kindergarten as i used to do every day.
the teacher asked me: "haven.t you heard about new york? haven.t you heard about the world trade center?"

i hadn.t so far.

she gave me a brief summary and i headed home quickly with my son on my bike.
rushed into the house and switched the tv set on.

and they broadcasted everything, every tiny little bit.
it was horrible.

and fear occurred.
we used to live in a little settlement which was very new.
most people living there came over from bonn the former capitol of germany and since the government moved to berlin again after the reunification of germany my neighbors moved up from bonn to this settlement.

now they thought: "we are next"
the whole of germany was paralyzed in fear.

all stations broadcasted only one event.
all papers published only one event.

i have never had such a deep media impact as 9/11.

in former times there was a question to figure out about the age of somebody: "what have you done when kennedy was murdererd"

the question of our generation is: "what have you done when they bombed the twin towers"

i don.t know what i did in the morning since the knowledge was brought later on to me, but when i realized what happened, i was crying.

as gimme said, it still hurts.
i am not american, but i cry when i see this big wound in new york city.
i still cry when i have to think about the lives that have been destroyed by this act.

not only the lives of those who died, but also the lives of those who have to go on living, although they lost dads, moms, sisters, brothers, husbands, wifes, children and friends.

these days i am so tired about the differences between humans no matter what color, ethnic, education, gender or religion.

why is it so difficult to see what we all have in common.
the desire to be loved
the desire to live in peace
the desire to live a fulfilled live.

we should keep that in mind and than love and respect each other in our individuality which is never contradicted.

lets lay down the weapons and start working for a better world, where we start feeding the starving and educate the uneducated but never forget that each human has the right of his/her own mind.

what.s good for me is not necessarily good for you, but i am able to respect this!

lets try to understand each other, love each other and live in peace with each other and make 9/11 really a history, but a history we have learned of and never let it happen again.

love you.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

You're post is so heartfelt, heartbreaking and full of deep empathy. Beautiful

How, who and why ? No matter what, it still feels like a complete nightmare, even for someone who was not there. Honest, i really can't put into words how it must have felt to be there and the pain for those who lost someone cause of this tragedy.

All involved. The people who died, and who they left behind deserve respect and shall never be forgotten.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bc18756d03c.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
9 years ago today...... does it really seem like it? Some days it feels like a lifetime ago, other days it seems like it was just yesterday. Every day it amazes me how little people understand about the events of that day.

I was not always a "conspiracy theorist", not even close. I had come across this web site a few years prior to 9/11, strictly by accident. I was new to the internet and other than occasional chat rooms on AOL, I was on a search for the strange and unusual. UFO's, Bermuda Triangle, Treasure Island, that sort of thing. Then I came across this site and learned about secret societies, MK Ultra, and more UFO stuff than I even care to remember. To be honest it was a bit overwhelming and a lot of it seemed so far "out there". It was enough for me, I had gotten my fill of the strange and unusual and I moved on. Never again did I have another thought about all these crazy conspiracy theories. It never again crossed my mind.

The morning of 9/11 was just another normal morning for me. I was following a very strange sleep pattern for about 2 weeks prior to the event. I would wake up at 4am, go back to sleep around 9am, wake up again at 11am, be at work by noon. Home again by 7:30 and in bed around midnight, and up at 4am. It was very unusual for me as someone who truly enjoys sleeping. So the morning of 9/11 was pretty typical. I was up early with CNN on the TV as I was playing a video game on my computer just waiting to feel tired again so I could go back to sleep and then go to work. Then it showed up on CNN as breaking news. A plane had hit one of the towers of the WTC. As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia and was all too familiar with New York, it immediately caught my attention. Strangely my thoughts were not on any victims. I did not even consider the people in the building or those on the planes. It was all just very odd to me. I remember thinking.... "How is it possible that you fly a plane into a building that size? Surely you saw it coming." As I was watching the news coverage, something just seemed so out of place. To this day I can not tell you what it was, but something was just... for lack of a better word.... wrong. It was as if I was literally waiting for the next chapter of this story to come into play.... and then it did. A second plane, live on TV, came barreling into the other tower.

Still I never gave a thought to victims. I just watched. Totally engrossed in what I was watching, and that is all I did. No thought, no emotion, I just observed and watched the flow of information as it was coming out. I remember thinking, something was just very strange about the way everything was being reported. Again, I could not put my finger on it, but it was something. I do not recall the exact sequence of events, but I remember very specifically watching the first tower falling to the ground. I remember my first thought was, "no f-in way". I knew, had no proof and could not explain it, but I knew that building could not fall straight down to the ground simply by having an airplane crash into the side of it towards the top. It didn't make sense, not at all, and all the information came pouring out. Even more quickly than before. It was too much, too fast. It did not seem right.

It was at this moment that I became a "Conspiracy Theorist". I went to work that day openly telling anyone who would listen that it was all a lie. A plane can not make a building fall straight down. I even used matchbooks to show how things fall into the path of least resistance, not straight down. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy, and I felt a bit crazy too. It was not until later that evening that I finally stopped and thought about all the victims. It was then that I was overwhelmed with emotion, looking at what was left of a city I spent much time in as a child. Watching everyone else's pain really created my own. Even though I did not believe the story that was being fed to me, I like the majority of those in this country was swept into the emotion of it all. I was ready for some revenge. Wanted to see someone pay, and was more than willing to support any decision to get that revenge. It was also a time for a lot of self evaluation. I had to know why if I did not believe the story that was being told to me, was I still so willing to seek revenge? Why, if I did not believe the story being told, was I so willing to support turning another country into a parking lot? It was at this time that I began a process of learning to separate logic and emotion. The two simply mix for me much the same way oil mixes with water. It just doesn't.

It would be 3 more years before I found my way back to ATS, and this was the event that brought me back. I just remembered this strange site that had all kinds of odd stories and theories. I wondered if they thought the same things that I was thinking. I didnt think I would find anyone who did, not even here. What I found was really unexpected. Not only did others think something was wrong, but they had a million theories of what did in fact happen. Finally I was not so alone and crazy after all. 9/11 changed the way I view the world, it changed the way I thought, and in so many ways was a defining moment in time for me as an individual.

In it is odd..... sometimes I watch videos of the events of that day and I am still overcome with emotion. For someone who felt nothing while I watched it happen, I cant help but feel many things as I think about it. I want to know the truth and in so many ways I do not think I will ever stop, ever let go, or ever move on. I have to know. Sometimes I imagine that this must be how some people felt when JFK was assassinated. No matter how much time passes, they still are out there seeking truth. Trying to figure out who did it, how it happened. Maybe leaving it alone for a few years, but sooner or later it always comes back again.... along with the questions that never get answered.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Like so many of us my day started as normal; it was just after the fair and one of our horses had been injured during the horse show so I was waiting for the vet. A friend called crying and told me to turn on the television; I asked which channel; she said it didn't matter; I turned it on just in time to watch the second plane. My first thought was this can't be happening; it was as a nightmare was happening.

The vet and good friend arrived; we sat glued to the t.v. watching. We would work on the horse and go back in to see what updates there might be.

I went to pick up the kids from school; usually when a school lets out for the day the kids are noisy; not that day they were in shock; some in tears. It's a Catholic school so they had spent the day in prayer. I asked if they had eaten and they hadn't. We went downtown to get something to eat; people were in shock. The kids looked at me and said "we watched history today didn't we?"

I went to work the next day and one of my friends was more upset then the rest of us........I asked him what was going on; his nephew was missing in the Trade Center. We prayed together it was days before the boy was found; he had been knocked out and was unconscious for several days.

I remember being worried about shipmates who had been so excited just a few months before about their assignment to the Pentagon and worrying again about a brother and friends called up.

I remember being called a traitor by some because I didn't advocate the deportation of all who originated in the Middle East; I'll not repeat what they were called.

Yes, we were attacked and I'm not going to debate the political implications not today. Today I will remember and honor those who died..

I will also remember terrorism didn't start on 9-11 and not all terrorists are Muslim and not all Muslims are terrorists.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Admittedly, I was unsure how my OP would be received. Thank you all for replying, sharing your thoughts, your stories....

It just did not seem appropriate to get into the controversy and conspiracy side of the issue. Not today. Not to me.

I really struggled with writing this, which honestly, is odd for me. I never struggle to write. I can usually just sit down and write. But when I wrote this OP. I struggled.... There was so much I wanted to say, and I hope I did the subject justice.

Thank you all so far. I can't wait to read more replies.

Peace and love

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
You mentioned that the thread seemed to be in a mess but it made absolute sense to me.

I was very young at the time...7 I believe. I remember our school was let out early although we were in the UK. I can clearly remember how my mum grabbed my and my brother's wrist so tightly and rushed home practically running.

I got just home in time to watch the 2nd plane crash into the tower...and then them collapsing. It was awful. I was speechless. At that time, I wondered firstly why it happened and eventually who. You must remember that I was at the age of 7 where I did not differientate (and still to this date) people on their religion.

When I hear the condemnations I feel disgusted. Hell, I was disgusted at the way people treated me because of the colour of my skin (although I am a Hindu.) Some of my friend's parents forbidded them to speak to me...eventually until they found out that I was a Hindu. Now that, in my opinion, is very troubling.

I await the day when there is peace and love throughout each and every nation.
Yes, I doubt this but I hope, for to forsake hope is to forsake nearly everything.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
You mentioned that the thread seemed to be in a mess but it made absolute sense to me.

Oh good, Perhaps I was a bit more harsh on myself than I should have been... I am a writer, so I guess I am my own worst critic.

At that time, I wondered firstly why it happened and eventually who. You must remember that I was at the age of 7 where I did not differientate (and still to this date) people on their religion.

That is understandable though. I was 14 and even I had no idea of why it happened or who would do it. Not right away... I, like you, and many others were just did not know what to make of it... I guess, in a lot of ways... I still don't know what to make of it.

When I hear the condemnations I feel disgusted. Hell, I was disgusted at the way people treated me because of the colour of my skin (although I am a Hindu.) Some of my friend's parents forbidded them to speak to me...eventually until they found out that I was a Hindu. Now that, in my opinion, is very troubling.

That is awful. I am sorry that you had to go through that kind of discrimination. That is an ugly word, discrimination. It is something that I wish no one would have to go through. As a white male, I can't say I have really been discriminated against, so I can only imagine...

I am so sorry... Today, in the US, the discrimination against Muslims or anyone who "look like they might be" seems to be increasing. There is a lot of anger and fear... and it seems each day I see more things that just further the divide between people and encourage the hatred...

I await the day when there is peace and love throughout each and every nation.
Yes, I doubt this but I hope, for to forsake hope is to forsake nearly everything.

I too await that day, and I am honored to wait with you.

John Lennon wrote in a song, " You may say I'm a dreamer, but I am not the only one. I hope some day you will join us, and the world will live as one"

Each day I extend my hand to the world in peace. I continue to get my hand slapped away. Call me crazy, but I refuse to stop reaching out. I truly believe that as long as a single person tries, then eventually some one will grab that proverbial hand.

I extend my hand in peace once more, and ask the world to take it. Will you walk hand in hand with me in peace? Will you join me?

edit on 11-9-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
You most definitely are your worst critic

I guess I still don't know what to make of it either. I was watching this documentary yesterday...with footages I have never seen before. It was heartbreaking, I became tearful so many times.

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I am so sorry... Today, in the US, the discrimination against Muslims or anyone who "look like they might be" seems to be increasing. There is a lot of anger and fear... and it seems each day I see more things that just further the divide between people and encourage the hatred...

Exactly, not only in the US but in a vast variety of countries, with a number of them being in Europe.
I agree with you. Anger and fear only seem to divide people further which will obviously lead to the fact that hatred would increase.
It's sad yet it's human nature...though I hope it could change.

John Lennon wrote in a song, " You may say I'm a dreamer, but I am not the only one. I hope some day you will join us, and the world will live as one"

Each day I extend my hand to the world in peace. I continue to get my hand slapped away. Call me crazy, but I refuse to stop reaching out. I truly believe that as long as a single person tries, then eventually some one will grab that proverbial hand.

I extend my hand in peace once more, and ask the world to take it. Will you walk hand in hand with me in peace? Will you join me?

I'll grab your hand. I'll walk hand in hand with you. I'll join you.
And I hope other people will.
I agree - the more I get slapped away, the more I want to try. Maybe it'll work some day.
But every little counts...it'll get mushed up until it'll affect the world. One day.

edit on 12-9-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: cause I'm too cool.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I was wondering who gave the Teacher the lesson plan when Bush was in the school the morning of 9/11/2001

I don't know if you saw this video but watch it only 2 min.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobw927
I was wondering who gave the Teacher the lesson plan when Bush was in the school the morning of 9/11/2001

Teachers in the US create their own lesson plan, based on what they are required to teach, by the state.

So, she gave herself the lesson plan. Interesting coincidence that she had the children learning to read the words plane, must, hit and steel.... But it is just that... A coincidence.... That teacher is just a civilian and there is no reason to think she is in anyway involved in the attacks...

That said, do you wish to share your thoughts and experiences of that day? Your story, if you will.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94

I guess I still don't know what to make of it either. I was watching this documentary yesterday...with footages I have never seen before. It was heartbreaking, I became tearful so many times.

That breaks my heart to see that you have been hurt like that. It really does... No words I have can fix it... just know, that not all people in the world are like that. I think deep down, most people are good.

I'll grab your hand. I'll walk hand in hand with you. I'll join you.
And I hope other people will.
I agree - the more I get slapped away, the more I want to try. Maybe it'll work some day.
But every little counts...it'll get mushed up until it'll affect the world. One day.

Thanks
. We must be the change we wish to see. And change always starts with the individual, So as long as one is willing to try and be that change, then there is still hope. I too hope others will grab our hand in peace

edit on 12-9-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: cause I'm too cool.

Yes, yes you are

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Epic thread, thanks.

I had a similar experience in school that day.
Nine Years...

Peace

top topics

join