It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another Martian Anomaly

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
That's some selective reasoning you got there old bean.

The identification as to the type of rock comes from the on board micro-mining lab on the rovers. NASA says its basalt, photo says its basalt...

if it quacks like a duck.....

As to Mike.. he has been obliterated but is still with Pegasus. Consider it a 'team effort'

edit on 12-9-2010 by zorgon because: No way I will tell

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Different angles.
It seems like each of these clips were taken at different angles. The rock that looks like its moving looks like its down hill from the others. The first clip looks like the camera is closer and higher up and the next clip is farther back and lower.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I don't really care, other than attempting to deny ignorance about the nonsense of a color conspiracy.

It isn't thick dust, not thick enough to interfere with visibility nuch (except during those dust storms) but it is thick enough to induce scattering. Particles larger than air molecules scatter longer wavelengths (tending toward red) and absorb shorter wavelengths (tending toward blue). Remember those Pinatubo sunsets?

edit on 9/12/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Which images did you use on that animation?

The two large ones in the OP.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Particles larger than air molecules scatter longer wavelengths (tending toward red) and absorb shorter wavelengths (tending toward blue). Remember those Pinatubo sunsets?

Okay KEWL we have agreement...

The skys on Mars are blue like they are on Earth for the same reason..

Unless there is a dust storm, just like this one in Iraq... then the skys on Earth are red like they are on Mars

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by largo

Yes, Raleigh scattering produces blue skies when there is nothing else in the atmosphere but air. However, add some dust and the situation changes. Particles larger than air molecules do not produce Raleigh scattering.

Mars has dusty red skies.

Agreed with most of what you say! But hey, here's one that NASA probably 'painted' RED. I mean a perfectly natural color image saturated to horrendous levels by NASA! Anyway, that's what the ubiquitous mikesingh had to say in a post I saw on another web site. He says he just clicked on 'auto levels' in CS3 and this is what happened. No additional coloration had been done. The first image is the original from NASA. The second is auto color corrected.

Now why has NASA done this I have no idea. This is one image that I couldn't explain away keeping in mind Spirit's various Pancam filters ranging between 750-nanometers and 480-nanometers.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

ahhh ...finallyfound the burial place of C3po

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Wow thats indeed very strange.. Good find

Maybe some light material besides rocks? but what?

S+F

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
i like the op images, particularly the one that shows the "moving" rock between the other larger rocks. there's some verrry interesting stuff in that image. all kinds of little oddities. wish the images were clearer and didn't pixelate on zoom. maybe they need to go back to hasselblad or whatever that camera was called.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I said that, if the dust content ever gets low enough the sky would be blue. ut it doesn't take a dust storm to make the atmosphere dusty. You are ignoring this:

Rigorous modeling of all relevant variables suggests that 3 µm diameter particles can remain in suspension indefinitely at most wind speeds, while particles as large as 20 µm diameter can enter suspension from rest at surface wind turbulence as low as 2 ms−1 or remain in suspension at 0.8 ms−1.

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

There is always dust in the Martian atmosphere. Those huge dust storms carry it very high (more than 30km) where it lingers for a very long time. It gets supplemented by wind and dust devils.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

There is always dust in the Martian atmosphere. Those huge dust storms carry it very high (more than 30km) where it lingers for a very long time. It gets supplemented by wind and dust devils.

Phage, where did the 30km's come from as I didn't know the atmosphere on Mars was that high...

BTW. I would hazard to guess that there's always dust in Earth's atmosphere also so that point is mute.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
mars is inhabited by rock people that don't need air or water to live. they feed off iron deposits.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

As funny as that sounds, who says all life needs oxygen??

Maybe are minds are too closed to other scenarios..

We expect all to be as we see it and have answers to everything...

IMHO, we are not even close to knowing everything..

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Do you know how "auto levels" works? It doesn't have anything to do with color saturation. It adjust contrast levels. Any changes in color are nothing but artifacts introduced by the algorithm.

The intermediate pixel values are redistributed proportionately. As a result, using Auto Levels increases the contrast in an image because the pixel values are expanded. Because Auto Levels adjusts each color channel individually, it may remove color or introduce color casts.

livedocs.adobe.com...

Simply adjusting levels is meaningless. The only way to attempt to reconstruct the actual colors is to go to the grayscaled images and combine them. Preferably the L3, L4, L5, and L6 filters. But even then it won't really be a "true color" image. Because the filters are of quite narrow bandwidth (about 20nm) there will be gaps, not all of the color information will be there.

edit on 9/12/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by randomname

Maybe are minds are too closed to other scenarios..
We expect all to be as we see it and have answers to everything...
IMHO, we are not even close to knowing everything..

CynicalM.....

It doesn't.

See anaerobic organisms.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

The current analysis considers the behavior of dust lifted to altitudes above 30 km during the course of this storm; in terms of dust vertical mixing, particle sizes, and global distribution.

adsabs.harvard.edu...
The Martian atmosphere extends about as high above the surface as does Earth's. The entry level is at 125km, Earth is 122km.

There is not nearly as much dust in Earth's atmosphere because Earth is a much wetter place than Mars nor is the dust as fine.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahh, I was reading the "scale height"

sorry...

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It probally is the same things as those moving rocks in deathvally mentioned here before.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Sure they move... and even leave tracks like the rovers do...

The Mysterious Wandering Rocks of Death Valley

I too was puzzled by this, until I saw a group of scientists recreate the event in a studio.
They were able to match the wind and the conditions to move heavy stones.

It's ice flows carrying the rocks across a slippery mud surface due to strong winds.

Here is a video that explains all of this.

- Lee

edit on 12-9-2010 by lee anoma because: format

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This happening has always caught my attention and razed my eyebrows.

How is it possible that after the rover being on Mars for so long now, and as Phage said earlier

Mars is a very, very dry place. There is a lot of very, very fine dust.

and at moments even frosty it is possible that the lenses of the cameras and its solar panels are staying so clean?

It reminds me of that so called "miracle cleaning event".

Mars scientists and engineers are elated about a dust-busting blast that has struck the Spirit rover at its Gusev crater exploration site.
Turns out that a Martian whirlwind -- dubbed a dust devil -- likely zoomed over the robot high up in the Columbia Hills. That fleeting flyby effectively cleaned Spirit's solar arrays, giving the robot a new lease on life.

Earlier this month, lead investigator for the Mars Exploration Rover mission, Steve Squyres of Cornell University, noted that Spirit's depleted power was reducing the number of hours per day available to snap photos.
Squyres couldn't gauge the chance of what he called a "miracle cleaning event" -- akin to what occurred months ago on Opportunity, its sister robot on the other side of Mars. "If it happens, I'll take it!"
"We have to assume the worst...that the solar panels are going to stay dirty and just get dirtier," Squyres told SPACE.com at the time.
As to what caused Opportunity's solar panels at Meridiani Planum to become cleaned is a puzzle, Squyres said. "Wind has to be involved at some level you figure. Frost might have helped. A frost build-up on arrays could coagulate the dust...but the fact is that we don't understand it very well. But I'll take it."

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

It makes you wonder, could this really have been the explanation for it?
Because one would expect that due the combination of frost and dust that dust would become sticked to those lenses and solar panels, and not so easy blown off again.

More info regarding the dust problem.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 12/9/10 by spacevisitor because: Inserted another link and made a correction

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join