It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another Martian Anomaly

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

yep that works too, after my optical nerve got over readjusting every second. lol

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
yep that works too, after my optical nerve got over readjusting every second. lol

Yeah you have to watch it for a few seconds and follow the various rocks from one image to the next, to get a sense of how much perspective has shifted.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14912cab171a.gif[/atsimg]

What do you think though? Yea or nay on attributing it to perspective?

I've been staring at this thing for a few minutes now trying to make myself see how that rock could disappear behind one of the others from the perspective changing.... but it's not happening.

Edit to add... It would have to disappear behind the rock to its left if it went behind any of them, because when it's gone you actually have more of an angle to look behind the rock to its right, and it's not there either. So the question is, is the perspective difference enough to move that rock totally behind the one to its left? And also how far behind the other rocks is the one that disappears, because if it's not as close to the camera as the others in the foreground then that would make a difference too.

Also have to add... I find the skull look-alike more interesting.

edit on 11-9-2010 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

well i think someone really good with video software, could probably animate the changes that would occur with the rock's placement via the change in perspective that's obvious in the two images. so what we need is a good video animation expert. like a time lapse

anyone ?

edit on 11-9-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

And a third image to triangulate how far in the background the rock formation in question is.

That would do it. It must actually be a good deal farther back than the others to shift that much.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I think in the second image the rock you want might be in the upper-left area. Also remember, you have to project onto an ellipse. Some angle get widened by the flattening while others are narrowed compared to a bird-eye view.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

also, if there's a ledge on which the larger rocks are sitting and the "moving" rock in question is in the gulley behind the ledge, then the slant of the hill the rover is on, will also assist in the change, as the rover either ascends the slope to the ledge or descends the slope from the ledge.

it's like watching a planet or moon, or even better, a constellation, sink into the horizon at an angle, the horizon in this case, being the ledge itself.

edit on 11-9-2010 by undo because: added stuff

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
also, if there's a ledge on which the larger rocks are sitting and the "moving" rock in question is in the gulley behind the ledge, then the slant of the hill the rover is on, will also assist in the change, as the rover either ascends the slope to the ledge or descends the slope from the ledge.

That's exactly what happens in this case.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
Follow very closely to my next few words because it might be difficult to understand.......for some.
ROCKS..... DO...... NOT...... MOVE.
Rovers do.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Well I would have preferred you did control your urge because it would have saved you looking the fool...

Sure they move... and even leave tracks like the rovers do...

The Mysterious Wandering Rocks of Death Valley

Here are some moving 'rocks' on Mars from HiRISE they actually left tracks

Here is one on the moon... rock? well so the skeptics say but still it MOVED

Now next time perhaps you will put more thought into your outbursts

edit on 11-9-2010 by zorgon because: Do you REALLY CARE??? If so WHY??

edit on 11-9-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14912cab171a.gif[/atsimg]
[quote/]

Ok, can someone please address the rock hog's (as the rock with the bristles was called) tail??
Really, it looks like a tail, obvious arrow shape in the first image. In the second image it either flipped on its side or became slender.
I am naive, or missing something here? It is a very distinctive feature that seems to change significantly between the two images.
Any explanations?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think that martian fairies moved that rock, especially to irritate NASA.

If there is a life on mars, you think it would bother to move some objects that NASA is photographing.
Or maybe it's something like a lithops, but with possibility of movement

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have a simple explination, the brush artist at JPL are messing up at the job. Must be all those budget cuts or simply one person trying to to say that something is happening.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Which images did you use on that animation?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Have u considrred those rocks the photos being launched from some sort of natural eruption before assuming it was done by something super naural?
Sent from android. Please excuse spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Moon is constantly bombarded with little meteoroids, so possibly that rock could be a little piece erupted from blast crater and rolled away.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by vinunleaded

The ice sheet explanation seems plausible for the Death Valley moving rocks especially given the tendency for there to be simultaneous parallel paths from many rocks, which would require them to be locked in sync with one another while being dragged and wouldn't explain the aformentioned feature. Wind certainly is implausible when it comes to the heavier boulders since winds on earth don't exist on Earth strong enought to move them.

The other two appear to be the result of simple rolling down a slope, given the irregularity in the trails.

edit on 9/11/2010 by EnlightenUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Go to area 51 on google earth. down towards the southern part you can see heavy equipment landscaping
Mars surface. This is were all photos released for civilian consumption are taken. In fact all moon photos
were done here as well. The stories of reverse engineering ufos were for disinfo. Area 51 is nothing but a giant
hollywood type complex.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by piotrburz

Impacts can dislodge rocks and boulders. So can moonquakes.

Shallow moonquakes on the other hand were doozies. Between 1972 and 1977, the Apollo seismic network saw twenty-eight of them; a few "registered up to 5.5 on the Richter scale," says Neal. A magnitude 5 quake on Earth is energetic enough to move heavy furniture and crack plaster.

science.nasa.gov...

Mars has wind erosion to undermine boulders (and possibly frost to split them) and send them tumbling downslope.

edit on 9/11/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
And dust devils keep the Rovers clean so they continue there hard work for us...... but we never see those little devils do we.

I can't wait the day when you all look back on this stuff and think duh!

Slowly ever so slowly the cocoons open.

edit on 11-9-2010 by observe50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Heyyo Zorgon!

I likes to looks at rocks too

This gnarly bit looks like the cooled gooey demise of a glassy volcanic bomb. What a beautiful specimen this piece of gaseous obsidian would make in my collection!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
And dust devils keep the Rovers clean so they continue there hard work for us...... but we never see those little devils do we.

Yes, we do.

edit on 9/11/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join