It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another Martian Anomaly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I saw it the same way and used little land marks, but didnt feel like trying to explain it ...I'm a lazy bum sometimes

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I think the most identifiable landmark, to prove the difference in perspective is the white flat area, located behind the farthest right large rock. It is not visible in the first photo. It is visible to the right of the same large rock, in the second and is directly behind the same rock, in the third.
For the lack of a better description, I'll call a white "sandy" area.
Thanks for the gifs. They are incontrovertible evidence, in my opinion.

WTFover.....

I see that landmark & I agree!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I know I'm being smart after the event.. but... even as I read the first post and looked at the images, I could see that it was simply a perspective thing as the Rover moved. I suspect that is because I USE this perspective technique all the time in photography - my hobby is panoramas and 3D images - so I tend to do a lot of observing of scenes from slightly different points of view, and working out how I can merge them and use the perspective for my evil purposes, bwahahah...

The shifting of objects at varying distance can be used to great advantage in 3D imagery, and is, frankly, a pain in the butt for panoramas - it means there are lots of issues when images are stitched together.

Most 3d images use very slight perspective shifts, not like the OP images - here's a non-commercial example of one of mine:
files.abovetopsecret.com...
That's a 'cross-eye' stereogram. For anyone who hasn't tried this, here's what you do - stare at the centre of the two images, and relax your eyes... Now, *slowly* cross them, until the images 'lock' together into one single 3D picture. You may find that slowly bringing your finger closer to your eyes, starting from touching the screen, may help. Also, it may be difficult to 'hold' onto the 3d view, but with a little practice, you will find you can examine the image in some detail and see the full depth (I like the bits you can see thru the hedge and windscreen in that one - looks a bit freaky..) Some people can't do them, so don't be too upset if you can't 'get it'.

And yes, I know it's not an aesthetic masterpiece! (If anyone has any 3d requests, let me know...) Nice work, Armap, by the way - animated gifs work great for this stuff.

edit on 11-9-2010 by CHRLZ because: minor edit - added "and windscreen"

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Nice little stereogram. It seems deeper than normal vision. I take it the perspectives were farther apart than my eyes.

Two leaves way in the back are out of place in the plants from one image to the other. Maybe the Maritians were hiding back there.

edit on 9/11/2010 by EnlightenUp because: s

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
reply to post by CHRLZ

Nice little stereogram. It seems deeper than normal vision. I take it the perspectives were farther apart than my eyes.

Two leaves way in the back are out of place in the plants from one image to the other. Maybe the Maritians were hiding back there.

Thanks! Nice to see a truly observant ATS-er!!

First - you are dead right about the separation. Normal (ie not applicable to me!) wisdom is to take the two images from the same differing distance as eye separation (about 2.5", 60mm). However, I tend to use more (in this case about 6-8" (150-200mm), to exaggerate the effect, and it seems to work (with only a slight additional headache inducing effect..
)

One of these days I want to see how far I can push it. I know that even a foot (12", 30cm) works ok..., but I think it will depend on image content, especially if there is a wide range of 3d issues both near and far away.

And yes, it's quite interesting when wind moves things.. I have another example where because the wind blew some clouds between the two images, one of the clouds actually jumps in front of a nearby power pylon.. - well, it appeared to... I'll post it on request, but I feel a little guilty about derailing the thread..

You might be right about the martians. I'll send it to Skipper, perhaps..

edit on 11-9-2010 by CHRLZ because: expanded measurements

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Could there be any case for the wind being strong enough on Mars to move a rock ? Incedentaly, Mars is not the only place which has an issue with moving rocks.

geology.com...

If you click the link there is some info there which may be related to this thread!
Lookit lookit lookit !!!! Woooo!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
reply to post by Phage

Phage.....

I have inserted ArMaP's GIF's for purposes of interest & convenience.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 11-9-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Re-ordered GIF files

are you people high?

don't you see the "tail" of the rock hog, change?

can anyone see this and explain?

besides the turkey that moves, seems like the head, are just rocks in the background.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

naw, different terrain!

don't chya think?

besides, i don't believe what they say about that either.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hi Zorgon,

Let me start by stating quite clearly that i definitely think there IS indeed probable evidence of life having been on Mars and elsewhere in our system.

However, this 'moving rock' is not an anomaly at all.

As Armap had suggested, this is just an optical illusion brought on by a change in perspective.

Here is a couple of crops from the images in your OP.

I have highlighted a couple of 'key' points that are on both images, to illustrate how the perspective has changed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6189ce083b8a.jpg[/atsimg]

And the next.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5f487b58ca0.jpg[/atsimg]

So, now it becomes clear that it's just a shift in perspective, and the 'moving rock' isn't moving at all, just obscured behind the larger rock in front.

The 'helmet' (or skull) object is curious though, i'm going to have a better look at it now.

Cheers.

Nice animated GIF by the way Armap, it seems to enhance the detail in the images. What did you use to create them, and is there a steep learning curve involved in using it?

edit on 11/9/2010 by spikey because: Add comment to Armap

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Well although I could ramble a fair bit about the terrain on the Playa, I couldnt comment on the Martian terrain because I have never walked there.
What I will say is that winds on Mars get VERY fast and powerful, much more so than here .

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Erm, have none of you heard of rock n roll?

I'll get my coat

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

Heh..i was going to hand it to you!

It was a rock solid joke though..ok, i'll get mine too.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Dude, in clip 1 inside the yellow triangle at about 7 oclock there appears to be an X drawn on the small rock, it also appears on animation Phage posted, what is this ?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The first picture looked like a head of a human maybe a possible statue at one point? According to some sumerian tablets Lahmu or Mars was once inhabited.

never know.....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hi. This is my first post here. I feel compelled to add that I see no evidence in the animated gifs or in the perspective debunk that this is an optical illusion. The 'rock' in question clearly moves from the center of the 2 large boulders to the far left and this has not been explained. The animated gifs show the 'rock' moving slightly, not in the extreme fashion that is unexplainable, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, Mars used to be civilized and it has remains of structures and bones in the sand. However, this particular group of pictures is misunderstood.

CLIP 1 is at a move level and straight shot at the rock in question.

Exhibit 2
Spirit Panoramic Camera Sol 1836 is at a lower angel and about 20 degrees further away basically creating a blind spot.

CLIP 2 is the same problem, at a lower and further away angel.

Exhibit 3
Spirit Panoramic Camera Sol 1843 is now at an angel in which it can see behind the rocks now.

The Rock in question never moved, it was pictured at different angels, some creating blind spots.

However the pictures of the skull like figure, that's cool.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Theres only one thing ive ever found from Rover images to really be considerd odd in the least, theres an enormous panoramic picture on the nasa site, ill find it if i have too, but chances are most will have seen it, its a panorama taken on the edge of a giant crater. On the far side of the crater theres plenty of those bluey tinted sort of rocks, despite being a red there really is a large consistency of blue, green rocks, whatever, anyway on the far side of the crater when zoomed in theres a large rectangular boulder thats basicaly insanely reflective, its fully lumeniscent.

Now to me, that seems very odd, why in a field full of rubble on an alien planet is there a giant sheet of extremely reflective material. Because in my experiance most reflective materials are usualy metal. Mostly anything else is all conjecture realy, buildings etc. Just wish they would be honest about the weather on Mars though.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

are you people high?

don't you see the "tail" of the rock hog, change?

can anyone see this and explain?

besides the turkey that moves, seems like the head, are just rocks in the background.

Ha, it does look like a "rock hog", bristles and all. The tail certainly does appear to move. The size of the middle joint/crack seems to change as well, but that could be perspective.
I think I am convinced that the "turkey's" movement is likely just perspective as well.
I would to hear the experts explain the change in the tail..

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

But I feel its time to pull up another Martian Anomaly. This one was originally found by Skipper from Mars Anomaly Research.Yeah Yeah I can hear you groaning already BUT before you flush the baby with the bathwater... do have a look...

I am patiently waiting to hear the skeptics explain this one.

I did not flush the baby with the bathwater.
I do not consider myself as a skeptic as you probably mean here, and I am also not an expert in cases like this.
But after really take a good look to it all it looks to me as if it is just one stone block, which is seen from its left side in this picture.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72215a983a3d.jpg[/atsimg]

Which is seen from its right side in this picture.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d44400cba5c7.jpg[/atsimg]

And in this picture one sees that block exactly at its front side so to say, so no side sides visible.

And it looks to me that because of its colors and light fall it seems to completely merges with its surroundings so to say.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9d877d67af3.jpg[/atsimg]

And if it really has disappeared, then the question arises, what/who was/could be responsible for that and for what reason then?

Just my two eurocents.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Parallax. No "anomaly". As usual...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join