It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA working to develop helmets for US Army that control soldiers' brains Read more: http://www.n

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

THE US Army's mad science department is attempting to engineer helmets that can influence a soldier's brain. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency - otherwise known as DARPA - says it is researching technology that stimulates the brain through implants, allowing it to relieve stress during combat and boost a soldiers' battlefield awareness. The helmet will transmit what DARPA refers to as "transcranial pulsed ultrasound" waves into a soldiers' brain from an external unit.

www.news.com.au...

Darpa Wants Remote Controls to Master Troop Minds

Tyler and his research team have created a “transcranial pulsed ultrasound” that’s able to stimulate a myriad of brain circuits from the outside in.

www.wired.com...

Remote Control of Brain Activity Using Ultrasound

Every single aspect of human sensation, perception, emotion, and behavior is regulated by brain activity. Thus, having the ability to stimulate brain function is a powerful technology.

science.dodlive.mil...

This technology may have its benefits for some applications but contolling brain function remotely could open up a whole new can of worms from a moral and ethical viewpoint, not to mention from a conspiracy theorist perspective.

Does anyone know any more about this technology?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Gee,
You would think that the '___', ultra muscle hardware, and excellent Rock n Roll full volume play list on the
Gov't. issue MP3 Player would be more than enough motivation to service the slanty eyed reptoids charging
over the hill by the multitude.
Boy was I misinformed. Whatever it takes to say " Praise God! We are Victorious!"

Hell , maybe these "hellmets" have no hangover.

One minute it is All out maximum control of chaos and adrenaline, five minutes later...

Your singing Brahms Lullaby. It would be interesting to hear what Hunter S. Thompson would write

about this. You know, I imagine he would Volunteer to try one of these babies out.

I am still thoroughly disappointed that he decided to cancel the show.

Some free spirit must be daring enough to grab the torch and run with it.

Triple Play to Darpa for thinking inside the helmet and outside of the box.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Wildmanimal because: Humorous Wordplay

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wow, if this actually works, how cool would that be? As crazy as it sounds at first, from the view point of a soldier, it could actually be a huge blessing, making our jobs much easier. In Combat, a soldier's worst enemy is his own brain. Sometimes, in order to gain the upper hand and take control of the battlefield, you have to do things that seem unnatural. If you could reduce the stress and anxiety to focus on your training and experience instead, your odds of succeeding will sky rocket. It is the self doubt, fear, stress and anxiety that gets in the way of what you should be doing. This kind of technology will not only make the soldier more lethal, but also much more effective. Although on the face of it, this technology seems crazy and "mad", it really could be a godsend and depending on the variables, I wouldn't have a problem with using it or allowing my soldiers to use it. In fact, I would probably prefer it, depending on the variables of course.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Excellent Airspoon!
That's the spirit! Lets abscond a couple dozen of these and have a non lethal
capture the flag paintball battle. Darpa Guinea Pigs Wild "Hellmet" Weekend!

Of course if you want to use live ammo,,,,the results might be "inconclusive"

Have a Great Weekend and buy a beer for a fireman. You know I will, as I have many N.Y. Firefighter Friends

who where at Ground Zero on 9/11 and there everyday afterward. With Respect,,,Wildmanimal

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Wow, if this actually works, how cool would that be? As crazy as it sounds at first, from the view point of a soldier, it could actually be a huge blessing, making our jobs much easier. In Combat, a soldier's worst enemy is his own brain. Sometimes, in order to gain the upper hand and take control of the battlefield, you have to do things that seem unnatural. If you could reduce the stress and anxiety to focus on your training and experience instead, your odds of succeeding will sky rocket. It is the self doubt, fear, stress and anxiety that gets in the way of what you should be doing. This kind of technology will not only make the soldier more lethal, but also much more effective. Although on the face of it, this technology seems crazy and "mad", it really could be a godsend and depending on the variables, I wouldn't have a problem with using it or allowing my soldiers to use it. In fact, I would probably prefer it, depending on the variables of course.
--airspoon

What a great idea.
As if soldiers losing their morality and/or going berserk does't already put a big enough stain on the reputation of our military.

Who, in their right minds, would want soldiers to have their thought processes changed in a way that will effectively remove the conscience and leave the soldiers robotic killing machines? Remember, the modern battlefield is an urban environment, full of civilians. There are too many civilian deaths already.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I think the point here, is to keep soldiers from going berserk. In the heat of battle, you have a whole host of emotions that kreep into your mind, most of which put you in danger. As I said up top, a soldier's worst enemy is not the guy down range, it is his own mind, interfering with the superior training that he recieved. If you take that variable out of the equation, then your odds of not only surviving, but taking control of the battlefield, will sky-rocket.

From the viewpoint of a soldier, the goal is not only to survive, but to successfully accomplish the mission so that you and your borthers may survive and your job mission completed. Oftentimes, it is your mind that is the biggest obstacle, especially seeing how many things that you do on the battlefield is unnatural. Take for instance jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft. When your standing at the door of the aircraft looking out, your mind is telling you no, however as long as you over-ride that thought process and do what you were trained to do, your odds of survival will increase. However, if you allow your emotions to control the day, chances are that you will either die, be captured or severely injured. If there is a mechanism to bypass those emotions, a lot of effort on your part, effort that would otherwise go to suppressing those emotions, could then be focused on the job at hand.

It's the exact opposite of losing control of your mind, as you suggest and instead, the point is to get a control over your mind, something that many people don't understand unles they are in a profession that is famous for a high amount of chaos and confusion. Most American soldiers can easily survive a battle, as our training, equipment and leadership is far superior to any other soldier in the world, therefore the better that we can rely on that training, equipment and leadership, the better our odds of survival and success become. The American, British and Canadian forces are unique in that all of their missions are designed to bring every soldier home. Some of the best military tacticians in the world plan every single battle to bring everyone home, unlike the forces of the rest of the world who see their soldiers as some-what expendable. For instance, when the French, Al Qaeda (or any other force besides the three listed) plan a battle, they plan that battle in a way that they could lose some soldiers. In the US, not a single battle is planned in a manner that the death of even one soldier is acceptable and if they can't plan it in such a matter, then they won't go into battle. Now, this is for the most part and often doesn't work out this way, partly due to soldier's emotions interefering with the battle plans. So, in that thought, if only soldiers can follow their orders and training without any interference, then chances are everyone will come home safe.

--airspoon

p.s. This is often why you see enemies of the US use the tactics they do, because they know that each American death is equal to 1000 of their deaths, from a command standpoint. They know that our battle planners plan in a way that not a sinlge US death is okay and they use that to their advantage. This is how they maintain strongholds and have success with a relative few deaths.

edit on 11-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So in reality we all have a part of us that controls our physical self.

Technocrats want to replace our spirit with a remote control that someone else manipulates?

Humanity should stop trying to improve on or replace the natural for corporate gains.

There is a reason soldiers freak out when they against their divine intention.

I can only pray that no one gets hurt/damaged while they build and test these.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

T

his kind of technology will not only make the soldier more lethal, but also much more effective. Although on the face of it, this technology seems crazy and "mad", it really could be a godsend and depending on the variables, I wouldn't have a problem with using it or allowing my soldiers to use it. In fact, I would probably prefer it, depending on the variables of course.

Good God, Airspoon...have you gone mad?!

I can't believe what I reading here. You did read the part about the brain implants, too, right? Knowing what you know now about our government, would you seriously give them that kind of control over your brain? Do you think they're trustworthy, ethical, and moral enough to make yourself so vulnerable to them by allowing them access to youir brain's function?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Airspoon, you are being very trusting.

It's easy to trigger "going berserk", and has been done since ancient times.

Thanks to being attacked by gangs while alone, and being strong and fit, and suffering severe PTSD, I've experienced this, and it's saved my life, despite me being just a young civvy woman at the time.
On these occasions, there were never innocent people around, so I never hurt anyone who mattered. But if there had been other people around, in that cold, blind and utterly focused rage, I doubt I'd have known the difference. It's an amazing feeling, actually, kind of like flying, with all constraints gone, your body suddenly so fast and strong, your reflexes instantaneous as you can suddenly vent all the inbuilt anger that past trauma has filled you with. Even 30 years later part of me longs to experience it again.

It's also compellingly addictive and dangerous. A person who has once switched to reacting this way can be a danger for many years afterwards.

You don't believe this is what the Darpa helmets would do. I don't believe they can do what they promise any other way. That is the difference between us.

new topics

top topics

join