It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I think dark matter REALLY is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A month ago, I went to an observatory in California and this woman was giving a speech there about space, and the subject of dark matter came up. When she was taking questions, I asked her if she thought it was possible that dark matter is really just matter in other dimensions or vibrations and that's why we can't detect it. She said, "it's not possible to me", but from what I could tell, she was not dismissing it in a logical way but in a dogmatic way, and if I spoke to her in private, I have a feeling I would get a different answer.

What do you think? What if dark matter is really just matter in other dimensions or matter that's made out of totally different material?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Matter thats made out of totally different material?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think it's just invisible matter that doesn't interact with light or other matter. But I definitely think it's in our dimension because it effects the universe somehow

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think you are right.
It's not that it is made out of different material, it's just vibrating at a different rate. And the rate at which it vibrates makes it difficult to see or detect it with our current technology. I wonder what type of sound dark matter makes. It is easy to see a bed of rocks in a still body of water, but you can't really see to the bottom of a river that has roaring rapids. So what changed? The elements have not changed, water is always H20, but the speed, the force behind the molecules is what gives us the change, and determines the depth at which we can see visibly without the noise of motion.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I would speculate that dark matter is nothing. From what I understand (no expert here) the theories on dark matter are based on observations of "regular" matter that cannot be explained. Obviously it's an aspect of the physical universe that we do not understand. Possibly related to gravity, that also is something that we do not truly understand. I think it is interesting that when we get into the very Macro or Micro aspects of physical reality our normal understanding of physics breaks down. So what do we do, make things up, of course. I suppose that’s what most of physics is anyway, making up names to describe things we observe. Anyway, my round-about way of saying, maybe it’s not there at all.

edit on 10-9-2010 by 5MaveN5 because: clarity - ha

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think scientists have just made a mistake.
like black holes and gravity.
and that they know that the universe will not implode.
they try to fool them self's and us.

photons of light fly in space from all the stars.
just think you have light coming from 360=360.
so in empty space there is a lot of light photons.
has any one tried to guess just how many?
could it be some thing so simple?
this theory is my’n and NOT ATS’s

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Just because we can not see it does not mean that it does not exist.
Prior to Hubble astro scientists knowledge of the known Universe was a mere 5 per cent of what it is now and yet they admit that there is 90 per cent of the Universe that they do not know.
It was though studies of the movements and inter action of distant galxies that they realised other forces were at play. It is like we can see the wind only by how it affects say the leafs and branches of a tree or clouds etc.
Some things are invisible to our senses as our senses are limited as is our technology.
All things are connected and contained within a whole but we can not see this whole picture through our senses but may know it through thought.

new topics

top topics

join