It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this on NASA SOHO ahead image????

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by saabacura

Mate that was clearly photoshoped from this..

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Look at the time difference. It is in seconds.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Honestly mate its obvious...

Like I said, the original is still interesting but that is just junk..Not even good work, they are all identical with a squarish outline...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I give up,

for those who are interested, go to the website that I pointed out above, and read the threads...

You will see that the images have been deleted.

You will see that it is fishy. but whatever.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I certainly don't believe the Op photoshopped the image - that leaves someone at the website the OP provided or NASA - which is it?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Don't be discouraged - this was a good sighting on your part - next time it may be the real thing!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Why the assumption that the picture was shopped?

IMO, it makes more sense for NASA to photoshop it as a streak and reupload using a different timestamp

Isn't that the kind of dirty tricks they get upto? It also makes OP of this thread and the disclose.tv one look like liars

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I've emailed Naval Research Laboratory (secchi.nrl.navy.mil...) to ask about the enlarged image. They are pretty good about answering questions. I'll post the reply and you can decide if you want to believe them or not.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Email sent to Naval Research Laboratory

An image was posted from STEREO Ahead COR2 2010-08-24 09:09;15
which to me shows a cosmic ray in the bottom left. Now, someone took the next picture 09:09:35 and enlarged it files.abovetopsecret.com...
so it looks like separate objects. Would a ray look like that or has this been a bit tweaked?
Thanks much
Pauligirl

I wouldn't go as far as to say the image has been "tweaked", but that is not how it looks in the original file (raw data file). What you're seeing in that member's image is a consequence of extremely high compression, conversion to jpeg, resizing and rescaling. I have attached an image that shows the cosmic ray in the original data file. It's just a standard cosmic ray. If folks want to verify this, they can download that file from here:
Filename is 20100824_080915_n4c2A.fts
There are two things to note about those files. First, they are in a format called "FITS" (.fts extension). A lot of modern image software will read FITS files now (e.g. GIMP, photoshop), but Windows won't natively view it, so do not try viewing it in your web browser. You have to right-click and save the file. A simple google search returns lots of FITS file readers. (We like 'DS9'.) Second thing to note is that these files are the raw, unprocessed data product -- we have not done anything to make them look "pretty". So things like mass ejections and the solar streamers do not show up as well as in the pretty pics. But if someone sees something in a jpg image that they are unsure of, they should always check the original file first.
Going back to the member's "tweaked" image, I should also note the following. That file that he/she 'enhanced' was one of our realtime space weather beacon images -- a very, very highly compressed, low quality image that we send down purely so we can see very large mass ejections. After ~3 days, we get the uncompressed, full version of that image. Folks need to be extra skeptical of anything that looks odd in the space weather images -- the massive amounts of compression do all sorts of strange things.
Best wishes,
~~Karl
PS: Here's a good example of how you can tweak an otherwise innocuous cosmic ray to make it look like something other-worldy! sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b970fd2eacd3.png[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

The first pic you posted to me does NOT look like a streak...

Zoomed it looks like several different objects...

I know what a streak looks like and that "original" NASA pic doesn't fit the bill..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join