It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best for meditation? clothes, socks, bare feet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hello, for my first thread, I have a question for the meditation experts. As I have just started practicing meditation, I would like to know what is best to wear during meditation?

For example, what kind of clothes should you wear? Loose fitting or etc...

And what is best (or what you prefer) to wear during meditation, socks or bare feet?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The simple answer here is whatever you feel most comfortable in.

When I do intense meditation, I usually wear nothing. For casual meditation, I wear loose clothing. It's a trial and error sort of thing to see what works best for you.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i honestly dont think it really matters..meditation is a mental exercise, i dont see why the clothing you're wearing would matter. as long as you're able to focus in what you're wearing, you should be good! i meditate twice daily and i wear different things all the time, different clothing, different footwear, i dont always do it in the same place or body position, none of that seems to matter as long as i can focus on what im doing

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
where whatever will reduce the distraction that this body wearing it is yours.
meaning both your body and what you are wearing are illusion.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Emptiness Dancing because: to add

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by KingKongBongoBong

Nothing. No clothes, no jewelry, no necklace, no watch. Nada.

But that's just me.

Starred and flagged. Hope to see more answers. Very pertinent question.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Transcendental Meditation (TM) has no strict rules on how to dress or position to assume. Basically, they teach to get comfortable. You do NOT need an uncomfortable yoga position. But don't get so comfortable that you will fall asleep, so don't attempt when tired, or oppositely, overly stimulated with prior activities or food/drink.

It you get distracted by anything: position, itch, whatever, deal with it and resume your training. Experienced TMers can meditate anywhere. It is all a learning experience. Learning to not pay conscious attention to your environment is the key. It takes time. Nothing but good can result from it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KingKongBongoBong

In time it wont matter, your body will go numb so quickly from not having any thought you will not realize the body is even there let alone what position you left it in.

But in the meantime, have a shower first then do it in somthing comfy like P.J's or a robe. It may be a good idea to dedicate a certain article of clothing just for meditation.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Thanks for your answers everyone, you have been very helpful

top topics

join