It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epistemological and psycho-social considerations on mainly christian fanatism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Thanks for your comment and I apologize for the belated answer; bad health makes me an infrequent contributor periodically.

I believe, that we agree on most, and concerning the 'intelligent design' concept you bring up in one of its versions, I've actually spent some time breaking it down inside the frame of science/logic itself. I.D. is not only a socalled 'agnostic' (~we can't really know) argument, but when used on a basis of hijacked science/logic it's clearly a false assumption, which can be DISPROVED actively.

Quote: [" The real problem lies with most individuals not being able to see abstractions for abstractions and assumptions as assumptions."]

With the addition on my part of 'abstract SPECULATIONS' (some abstractions can be rather useful), this is a source of constant puzzlement for me. Many such religious and political ideologies contain components, which are not only destructive, but also useless in the context of contemporary options.

An example. In my youth (the cold war period) 22% of the global economy was spent on military purposes. In some parts of the world this money has now been redirected to less violent areas, with the result that the sheeple now have a handful of electronic gadgets, a higher living-standard and more safety.

Admittedly they (the sheeple) are still zombified, but a braindead vegetative life looking at soap-operas is preferable to millions killed on battelefields, tortured or virgins sacrificed to ensure the sun rising another year.

There must be certain kinds of mindsets wanting/needing the authority intrinsic in ideological fascism and for whom it's easy to turn off rational reasoning, so the authoritarian propaganda is accepted passively.

Quote: ["I believe that all people are fundamentally equal in value in accordance with self ownership.However, I do not believe that a system can be created to effectively make people economically or socially equal through coercion (barring, of course, destruction of all people). I think I am in agreement with you but please clarify."]

My version of 'egalitarian' isn't some blue-eyed idealism. It's based on a balance between a certain amount of individual freedom and societal obligations.

Quote: ["I think I would be an environmentalist too, if it didn't mean associating with those dammed green fascists."]

They are detestable. I have worked constructively and creatively for environmentalism for 40 years, offering functional alternatives (I have e.g.an ecological farm), and while it was slow going, the results were solid and lasting. The green fascists have done more damage to that than the meat/industrial-lobbies.

<< 1   >>

join