It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to run out of funds to find large asteroids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
According to Michio Kaku that NASA is low on funds and won't be able to continue its goal to search for life threatening asteroids that could hit earth. Well they seem to be focusing their efforts elsewhere due to that amateur astronomers detected those impacts that hit Jupiter awhile back.

bigthink.com... (part 1)

bigthink.com... (part 2)

so NASA boys is this true?

mods if this is wrong section then you can move.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
trilliions on war billions of wasted on banks .
but one thing that really matters (the rock with earths name on it we dont give a hoot.
let me tell you a story 150 million years agaio there was an brontosauruses eating leaves off a tree.
a loud rummbel started to happen he looked up to see fire go accross the sky to disapire behind the horizon .
only to go back to eating leaves a mint later .a mint after taht he didnt need to eat any more at all.
He was the last of his kind and not even for n1 second did he think this is my end.
Humans can think we can look up and KNOW its our end .the question is what are we going to do about it>
just go back to eating leaves or????
shoe maker leavy could have hit us and sooner or later one WILL .
the thing is if we do nothing there will be no one to rember the name Our death had.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
can i make a prediction ? now that NASA is running out of funds ... the military will step up and point massive destructive weapons into space publicly to protect us against incoming asteroids ...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That sounds like the US: unfunded mandates. If Congress wants this done, then they'd better pay up sooner than later.

There are lots of asteroids being discovered by lots of different groups. I think that right now close to 100,000 rocks in space have been identified. Of that group there are well over 1,000 that are potential impactors. I bet there is a lot more to discover.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

what the ?????

is this serious? i might be willing to make a donation, at least.

this planet has issues.

-et

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

I can agree to that. They have been itching to put weapons in space.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

If it came from Kaku, then I say it is serious. They wasted all those funds on a sinking ship called the constellation program.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
trilliions on war billions of wasted on banks .
but one thing that really matters (the rock with earths name on it we dont give a hoot.
let me tell you a story 150 million years agaio there was an brontosauruses eating leaves off a tree.
a loud rummbel started to happen he looked up to see fire go accross the sky to disapire behind the horizon .
only to go back to eating leaves a mint later .a mint after taht he didnt need to eat any more at all.
He was the last of his kind and not even for n1 second did he think this is my end.
Humans can think we can look up and KNOW its our end .the question is what are we going to do about it>
just go back to eating leaves or????
shoe maker leavy could have hit us and sooner or later one WILL .
the thing is if we do nothing there will be no one to rember the name Our death had.

I completely agree with you. People are more bothered about their own immediate interests rather than the future of the majority of the species on this planet.

Maybe there was a reptilian race much like humans, that went through the exact same thing. Maybe they got wiped out by the asteroid because someone embezzeled money and caused an asteroid search programme to stop as a direct result.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
. Well they seem to be focusing their efforts elsewhere due to that amateur astronomers detected those impacts that hit Jupiter awhile back.

Here's a little refresher.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well this sucks.

Situations like this are one of my main reasons for wanting a peaceful earth dedicated to science rather than to destroying one another. If only the opinions of a few individuals mattered rather than the government deciding for us. Well if we get hit by an asteroid I guess it will be our own fault. On the other hand, maybe this was the governments way of keeping peace with the fact that they know we are about to be hit by a giant object and there is nothing that can be done to save us. Closing our eye's to they sky should effectively keep it quiet and keep national panic down.

I'm not sure if NASA is international but I will assume it's not. Do other countries also have the equivalent of NASA probing the skies for potentially dangerous space junk?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
None of the NASA boys commented.

well this sucks.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Are there any NASA employees that read these threads?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I believe some post here on ATS so yes. You can tell who they are.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If NASA or the Federal Government knew an asteroid hit was eminent, huge and unstoppable don't think for one minute the populace would get a warning. If we did get a warning you'd have every scumbag out there raping, pillaging and plundering knowing we were all going to die anyway. Maybe NASA knows something we don't.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
the thing is we have the technology to stop a impact from ever accruing.
I am not saying it would be easy or cheep .You can forget nuks or lasers or scotty beaming them away.
But just by putting a reflective sheet next to the incoming and heating one side more it will move to the side.
O not much and very slowly but if we start 3 years befor it gets here moving it a inch will make it miss the earth totaly.
But in order for this to work WE MUST know were it is alest 5 years before it hits . thats 2 years to get a mission going and three to move it.
even a comet could be moved this way . we are the first species to ever have the ability to Change our destiny.
And that destiny is extinction .But we can change THAT we dont have to let that happen .
the thing that really saddens me is it probably wont be a rock taht gets us but it will probably be US that gets US .
To think we have the intelligence to take control of our destiny and yet we will US it to full fill our destiny.
Man that sucks

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

I was thinking along these same lines while reading through. Makes total sense that they would know something is eminent.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I say let them run out of funds. Seriously, the military should be (and probably are) looking for these things. After all, they are a threat to national security.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If the funds run out then noone can say they seen it comming
Way to save 1z ars from blame like "HOW DIDNT NASA SEE IT COMMING". Its all good folx it can only free you from your suits.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It is digusting. Science always manages to find funding for SETI, yet they depend on amatuers to detect jupiter strikes. It even seems that Jupiter is being ignored. Ever seen a scale model of the Jovian system? It is Huge!! And right now it is grinding along the outside edge of the asteriod belt.

Right now jupiter is at it's nearest (perihelion). approx 4.95 AU from the sun It's average is 5.2 AU. Jupiter keeps the asteriod belt in place, and in my opinion, it is right now forcefully keeping the belt in place.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

SETI is privately funded whereas NASA is a government agency. If NASA was a private agency and was receiving outside funding they wouldn't have these problems, but right now they are not seen as a necessary expense and as a result get the short end of the stick when it comes time to figure out the budget.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join