It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians Arrested with shovel, wire cutters outside Georgia Power plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Russians Arrested with shovel, wire cutters outside Georgia Power plant

savannahnow.com

Effingham deputies call feds after arresting Russians with shovel, wire cutters outside Georgia Power plant

NOTE: Title too long to copy verbatim

Effingham County sheriff deputies have reported the early Sunday morning arrest of three men to the federal Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Deputies reported the men, who were inside a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, had a machete, shovel, wire cutters and ski masks. One man also had black silk stockings in his front left pocket.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Hmm, now these dudes really look like just your average Russian tourists, right?

I think not. These suckers were busted in the middle of trying to do something really bad to the Georgia Power plant. And keep in mind that trained terrorists don't need much more than the basic tools they had, and some very bad intent, to potentially cause a devastating "accident."

But here's the kicker. They fricken let them go! They were here on visas!

What the heck was the black stocking for? Man oh man. Lord only knows what they would have done...

savannahnow.com (visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Sep 10th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Maybe they got confused and thought they were in the other Georgia?

Seriously though I have to wonder what exactly they were doing or planning on doing there. Without more information I cannot think of what they were doing. It seems they only had tools to break into the place and conceal their identity.

Raist

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
There's been a huge rash of metal thefts here in Georgia this summer... AC units have been the primary targets, but just about everything else has been fair game as well. My first guess would be that our comrades here were probably on a copper hunt.

To offer one possible motive at least.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

They were here on a legal visa, but its time was about to run out.

I understand the metal hunt thing, which has been a problem across the country (at least in the Midwest) for a few years now. I am not sure I believe that was their motive though. If they were legal full time residents, I could see it.

The only way I can see that being the case is if they were trying to get money to buy fake documentation so that they would appear to be legal residents.

Raist

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Well I dunno, but I'd bet the top dude in the pictures carried the machete, the middle dude carried the wire cutters, and the last dude had shovel duty.

Ski masks, hmm. Maybe there was someone on the inside who left a door open for them once they got in the fence... I wonder if the police checked that...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Probably over here on one of those exchange things companies do where they get a tax credit for hiring foriegners... dunno for sure just a guess right?

Then they figured it'd be ultimate lulz to cause a lil chaos here in the states that they could yuk it up about once home, or as in Russian Ultimate Trolololz...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

They don't look like methheads. It is methheads that are stealing all the copper for the most part, then there are the usual dopeheads that have been doing it for years. Not your 'typical russian tourist' activity.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Judging by their choice of equipment:

A machette
Wire Cutters
Shovel
Ski masks
Panty hose

I'm thinking that not even they knew exactly what they were actually going to do.

Another thought that comes to mind is a dry run to check security.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Who cares? This plant is a coal plant.

Tell them not to be there again in a mean voice and send them on their way...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
though I could agree that this was a mindless move to let them go, I am sure the feds are aware of this situation and will be tracking the three for quite a long time.
This would have been a great time to have these guys RFID chipped.
The only way to find the hive is to follow the bees, unless of course you stumble into it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It wont let edit my post above...

What i mean is that they cant really do much damage to a coal plant...Its not nuclear...

There really isnt anything to be worried about. THe worst they couldve done was have the plant shut down for a day or so...

Not a fed issue...local PD issue...simple misdemeanor tresspass

If it were a Nuke plant they would have been gunned down at the fence...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

They don't look like FSB operatives to me. More like a trio of bumbling thieves.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Marrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marrr
reply to post by TrueAmerican

They don't look like FSB operatives to me. More like a trio of bumbling thieves.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Marrr because: (no reason given)

would they look more scary if they had beards and a towel on their heads?
the fact that they were not from the US is enough of a flag for me.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
If they were sent from russia they would not have been caught, especially if they were in the russian army or a division of that.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Would the Russian army or any traceable entity wish to be involved?. in the event they would be seen.

Yes it could be just a couple of dimwits with an anti american agenda, or maybe not

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
From Russia, With Love

No doubt these fine, upstanding young men were simply trying to help out with a little free volunteer maintenance work on the plant. You know, like back home, where everybody pitches in.

Wanting to get an early start, they wasted no time and got down to business just before 1:00 AM. No slouches, these guys. A full day's work for no day's pay. They should be given medals for their strong work ethics and community spirit.

But no, not in paranoid America, where no good deed goes unpunished. Instead of helping, the lazy Americans arrested these good men and treated them like criminals. Yet another example of American racism and discrimination against foreigners just trying to do honest work in this country.

I'm sure the Effingham County Sheriff's Department will be hearing from the ACLU's attorneys soon. Here's hoping for a huge settlement.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
looks like "kids" trying to make a quick buck.
if those are terrorists i feel pretty safe now!

new topics

top topics

join