It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slips in WEF's competitiveness rankings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Article

BEIJING (Reuters) – Switzerland remains the world's most competitive economy, while the United States has fallen from second to fourth after losing the top spot last year, according to the World Economic Forum's annual rankings issued on Thursday.

Sweden, in second spot, and Singapore in third leapfrogged the United States in the WEF's Global Competitiveness Report 2010/2011.

Last year the Asian city-state ranked third and Sweden fourth. There were no newcomers in the WEF's top 10, although Germany climbed to fifth from seventh.

The WEF said America slipped in the ranking due to a build-up in U.S. macroeconomic imbalances, a weakening of the country's public and private institutions and concerns about the state of its financial markets.

The report said a lack of macroeconomic stability continues to be America's greatest area of weakness, with repeated fiscal deficits leading to burgeoning public indebtedness.

I dont have too much to say on this, just thought I would share this with everyone on here.

It's looking like the US is getting less competitive, economically. Im not a whiz in economics, but macroeconomic instability isnt something good. Maybe this is just going to last for a little bit, but there's a chance this could be long term. I think it is a bit too early to tell what is going to happen in the long run.

new topics

join