It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My own investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
All, Ive come across some sites that are supposedly haunted not far from where I live in Australia (Vic). I will be going out with some friends this weekend (if the weather permits) and just seeing what we can come up. No, there will be no trespassing etc its all freely accessable areas etc. Im a sceptic but have an open mind and most these places are more so urban legends then with no real first hand witnesses therefore to me destroying 90% credibility. However im curious to check them out as they arent far at all.

Equipment wise I need some ideas so far all I can think of is a camera w/ nightvision (video and picture) and an EMF reader.

Any thing else I'd need? I dont want to get all my ideas off TV and film which is often flawed!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

If you have a "MiFi" or some other way to remotely access the Internet, you could bring a Laptop and Webcam and run a remote live stream..

That would be really cool and I know I would "tune in"

Semper

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
You might want to consider a digital voice recorder? If it's windy I don't know how well it would pick up voices - BUT, always something to consider. Also, ummm...I think it's also a good idea to have a camera on hand to shoot stills. Not sure if there is a big difference between digital pictures and the typical old school photographs (I think there is, but don't quote me). Otherwise, I think you should probably be set. As far as I'm concerned anyways...someone might think of some other gear to take. Goodluck though! Sounds fun.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
From what I have been told every up and coming ghost hunter needs a FLIR. Thermal optics.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I don't know if there is anything to this or not,but I think the opposite of "having to see it to believe it"...I think it helps to see it if you believe it!

Vaya con Dios!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Look forward to hearing your results

Don't worry too much about equipment. Assuming that the sites are also easily accessible, just do a recon of each of the sites, get a feel for them. That way if you get anything interesting, even if it’s not recorded you will be able to organise a second visit, with a specific plan for evidence gathering.

Also be prepared that the most interesting event will happen when all recording has stopped and like fishermen, nobody will believe you about the one that got away.

edit on 10-9-2010 by RNDphase because: typo

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks all, but i saw the other day on ghost hunters (i know i know not too credible) this tool that lights up when an entity passes by. It has some LEDS on it. Whats that called and whats the theory for how its meant to work? I missed what name they gave it.

My first site will be a street thats close to home that has reports of paranormal activity out of a small convenience store and also surrounding houses. Will pay a visit and see what comes up in photos and EMF. I have considered using the FLIR however wouldnt the interference and reflections in a street/suburban area just render it useless?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Heres a site with some suggestions. site

I like the idea of a locked off camera pointed to a control object i.e. an old coin or something, it is better if the control object is put into a locked room and you keep the key to make sure no one is messing with it.

I'm pretty sure that you can get little motion detectors pretty cheap as well. Putting some kind of talcum powder between doorways also seem do able, but again you have to make sure it's in a place where no one is accidentally going to walk over it

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ill only be on the street at this stage and the near by park with some friends, so more to see if there is any outside activity at this stage as obviously I cant go indoors. I dont think we will get any thing, however im open minded, perhaps high EMF readings. Whats considered normal EMF in most residential areas?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Heres a quote

When using EMF detection meters it is important to make a series of baseline measurements in order to highlight any unusual readings. A ‘normal’ range of readings is between 0.1 to 10 mG (milli-Gauss), though some locations may have higher man-made sources. If you are close to domestic appliances the reading can exceed 30mG.

source

I personally don't believe in ghosts but I have watched many ghost hunting type programs with my girlfriend, the one thing she always points out is that the hunters always seem to be very rude i.e. challenging the ghost to show itself and saying "I'm not scared of you" etc If you spoke to an actual person like this you wouldn't expect them to co operate so I guess you should try being polite and friendly, and have the manners of someone from the time of which you would expect the spirit to come form...

If that makes any sense

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Just doing some research, can some one tell me how the theory that an EMF can detect manifestations came about? Has this been researched or just is it just a myth?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The most important thing you want to take is something to record your thoughts. Digital voice recorders are better for that than anything else. Things like the feel of the area, things you see and hear, readings you get on any equipment you might have and suggestions to yourself and whoever is going to be doing data review with you to pay close attention to some specific photograph, section of recording, etc. You might also want to carry a small notebook and pencil (better than pens which tend to not want to write properly if it's cold) to take down notes, draw sketches, etc.

Remember that the most useful device you have is your mind. Don't assume that something you can't explain is paranormal. If you see something, investigate. Always think about what non-paranormal causes might be at play.

You mentioned earlier about wanting to know what the thing with the lights on Ghost Hunters was. I think that may be a K2 meter, which is just an EMF detector that represents thresholds of EMF with lights instead of a needle or digital readout. They're pretty cheap, relatively, but also made cheaply as well. They are prone to false-positives and failures.

As far as "what is the normal base EMF of a neighborhood", well, you need to take a "base reading" when you get there to get a feel for that. You should look for things like low hanging power lines or buried power lines if you get a high reading that is steady. Most "paranormal" EMF readings fluctuate, which normal EMFs don't do.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I see you've been given some excellent suggestions from members, but if you are not experienced at this, how about a roll of toilet paper and a change of underware?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
My lack of experience adds to my sceptism. I dont need experience dealing with the paranormal as I dont really believe most of it as its very subjective and if I believe in it, any thing I come across I may interpret it more likely as activity relating to the paranormal rather then something that can be explained. I want solid proof and want to establish controls and base lines readings. Im open to ideas and any experiences any one has had, especially in Australia

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by soontide
The most important thing you want to take is something to record your thoughts. Digital voice recorders are better for that than anything else. Things like the feel of the area, things you see and hear, readings you get on any equipment you might have and suggestions to yourself and whoever is going to be doing data review with you to pay close attention to some specific photograph, section of recording, etc. You might also want to carry a small notebook and pencil (better than pens which tend to not want to write properly if it's cold) to take down notes, draw sketches, etc.

Remember that the most useful device you have is your mind. Don't assume that something you can't explain is paranormal. If you see something, investigate. Always think about what non-paranormal causes might be at play.

You mentioned earlier about wanting to know what the thing with the lights on Ghost Hunters was. I think that may be a K2 meter, which is just an EMF detector that represents thresholds of EMF with lights instead of a needle or digital readout. They're pretty cheap, relatively, but also made cheaply as well. They are prone to false-positives and failures.

As far as "what is the normal base EMF of a neighborhood", well, you need to take a "base reading" when you get there to get a feel for that. You should look for things like low hanging power lines or buried power lines if you get a high reading that is steady. Most "paranormal" EMF readings fluctuate, which normal EMFs don't do.

Hey mate, what do you mean by false read outs? Are they just not accurate? It seems they are just EMFs with LEDs attached if im correct?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I hope you weren't too offended by my sometimes lousy sense of humour, though I am concerned there may be amongst your friends, those who will become really frightened if a spirit actually manifests during your investigation. This can lead to panic and a rush to get out of any building you happen to be investigating, and someone could get physically hurt by tripping and falling. I am not a paranormal investigator myself, but I have had a couple of personal experiences that were more than enough to convince me their is life after this one.
Good luck and best wishes be with you on your search.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If something does manifest im not denying we wont be freaked out, but again ive never known any one personally who has had an experience that cant be explained. So Im curious to see if any thing does happen, hence the investigation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I'm glad I found this thread! I have been invited on my first Paranormal investigation with a friend who belongs to a group. I'm really excited about it & wondering about equipment also.

Does anyone here have thoughts on the full spectrum cameras? Waste of money or worthy tool?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
yep as above and the FLIR?

top topics

join