It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put Your Stamp on ATS 2010: Member Skins (UPDATED!)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sum1one
reply to post by rexusdiablos

YES OR NO

Thanks.

It's not a bad idea to let people select a low-q version.

Disable images in your browser and then check if it's going any faster. When I hear problems like these my first reaction is to test the motherboard.

www.ultimatebootcd.com...
Use this extremely elite tool to see what exactly is costing you money

On topic: excellent initiative! I'll try to create one good background, maybe 2.

edit on 12-9-2010 by raknjak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Is it possible to have a skin set up like it was prior this one now? I kinda liked it better.

Sorry.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Here is my submission:

Preview: img830.imageshack.us...

PSD: www.cs-suca.org...
(Picture is from here: www.wallpaperweb.org...)

I'm sure I'll post more.. but for now, this is my favourite.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Want an 8x10 glossy of me?

I dont know how to do it, but i like what you people have done to this website. Its absolutely marvelous!!!
Congratulations.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I am having a technical problem with the new skins or rather the display of the ATS screen above the line where the skin begins...

What I mean is, it is probably my lack of the proper add-on plugin for my Mozilla on my new (used laptop).

I can view the screen normally until I try to login (I am now on another laptop to login) or until I click on a thread... (the top part of the thread will not display) I cannot read anything until the first post in a thread..

Help? Suggestions,

I have loaded RealPlayer, Java, shockwave, windows movieplayer, ...

Now I have loaded flash player and adobe reader... you'd think the former would make a difference with browsing maybe but adobe reader?

What am I missing here?

edit on 13-9-2010 by AntiShyster because: premature... deleted edit

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntiShyster
I am having a technical problem with the new skins or rather the display of the ATS screen above the line where the skin begins...

What I mean is, it is probably my lack of the proper add-on plugin for my Mozilla on my new (used laptop).

I can view the screen normally until I try to login (I am now on another laptop to login) or until I click on a thread... (the top part of the thread will not display) I cannot read anything until the first post in a thread..

Help? Suggestions,

I have loaded RealPlayer, Java, shockwave, windows movieplayer, ...

Now I have loaded flash player and adobe reader... you'd think the former would make a difference with browsing maybe but adobe reader?

What am I missing here?

edit on 13-9-2010 by AntiShyster because: premature... deleted edit

When you've done everything listed above, the next step would be to try another browser... check out google chrome, I use that and firefox for this site and everything shows up fine. Google chrome also lets you import all of your firefox bookmarks and toolbar bookmarks, and the program *feels* smoother/faster. I've never really tested or compared thoroughly though.. chrome is just more fluid.

Though, the only other thing I could think of being the problem with mozilla is your privacy settings (cookies maybe?).. or possibly an addon.. try disabling some addons that modify pages (if you have any installed), or try disabling all 3rd party addons altogether to rule out the cause. The last thing you could try would be to back up all of your settings and bookmarks with firefox and just re-install it from scratch.

I hope this helps, cheers.

edit on 13-9-2010 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I hate to interrupt the back slapping but to me this redesign is rubbish. I can find my way around but it's not as user friendly, it appears badly organised, the general appeareance is worse and well you get where i'm going here.

The front page is a mess.

The private message system has gained some improvements and then ruined it with others.

The popular and flagged topics section is less obvious and it doesn't seem to update as often, some topics stay there far to long.

Sorry but i consider this an utter failure. ATS is the place for alternative topics and the only reason people will stay here and put up with this new design is because the website is familiar, I include myself in that group. If this website were new it would be abandoned quickly with this design.

I appreiciate the effort involved and the admins wanting to update things and improve the website but it's better to stay with something that works than move forward with something that sucks.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Just some playn' around...

Skin 1

Skin 2

Skin 3

Skin 4

There are some amazing works of art here!

edit on September 13th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Will we know when a member's skin (and who the member is) is being used or are they all to be anonymously donated?

ETA: never mind. I have found where that is noted. Awesome job!

edit on 13-9-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm getting some skins that initially look great scrunched-down in the email... but upon close inspection, have a great deal of unfortunate compression artifacts that really detract from the image quality.

So I'm going to ask that all future submissions be either an uncompressed PNG file, or a PSD file. This way I can tweak the compression settings based on my experience on what works well for something like a site skin. I've done this a lot, and there's just too many small hints, tips, and tricks that make a huge different to put in one post.

I am just now seeing this. Will resend layered files.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I don't know about the skins, they are Ok I guess

But that light green text used for Headlines and Topic Titles really sux IMO.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Ditto

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Generally I like it. I think it has more sensibility and the window sizes are easier to read. Some drop menus could be helpful but they are not obstructive. I lke the color harmonies of various skins - I do not know how to determine mine.
One functionality thing you guys may help me off hand is where I can search in a long thread for posts made by a particular person. For example by myself. The next day I go back and I am tryin' to find which page of a say 12 page thing I posted but the only way so far was to get Firefox search for my avatar name on each page of a thread - waiting for all of them to fill in... I am sure there is a much quicker way to see how others have reacted to my post.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have plenty of "skins" at this pint -- too many in fact.

I'm going to rotate 3-4 different member skins into the random selection each week so that we don't have an over-abundance of colors and styles for users.

Thank you everyone for participating!

HINT: We're going to be announcing another way for a member to add to 2010 somewhat soon... it's a contest... it won't be easy... there will be a cash prize... but the prize "winner" will have lots of icons to make.

Stay tuned.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join