It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge blast in San Bruno; neighborhood on fire

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

If an underground pipeline exploded, it would certainly leave a "crater." The reports I have seen say there is a crater with an exposed pipe that is split for 20 feet or more.

"Why" did it explode is another matter entirely. I know it happens sometimes, usually there is a clear cause like a construction accident or something damaging the pipe. There also has to be an ignition source. An underground pipe that would and explode for no apparent reason is concerning. Perhaps it was old damage that was never properly repaired? Perhaps something happened down the line that caused a spike in pressure? Perhaps there was geological activity either last night, or at a previous time that did damage?

I don't really think this was an aircraft, or a drone. That would be highly unlikely. Sabotage maybe? But this location doesn't seem like a prime target. In all likelihood this as a terrible accident, and possibly some negligent repair work or maintenance.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thedman

It doesn't have to be a meteor. Noone ever said it was. In fact, the most common thought here regarding that subject was that it was the first things that entered the verious posters' minds considering the strange sounds and somewhat spontaneous ignition.

This is ATS. We pride ourselves on thinking outside the box. Doesn't mean we are jumping to conclusions, just that we are considering various possibilities.

Since my initial posting about a meteor, I have seen reports of long term gas leaks, etc., which leads me to believe now that the gas main was damaged, perhaps due to seismic events, and the gas eventually reached a pilot light in a furnace or water heater. From there, it was a nearly instant detonation of the largest accidental fuel air bomb I have ever seen.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
whatdoesitmean.com...

September 10, 2010

Missile Strike Downs San Francisco Plane, News Blackout Ordered

By: Sorcha Faal,
A chilling foreign military intelligence directorate (GRU) report circulating in the Kremlin today states that Russian satellites orbiting above North America have picked up the "unmistakable" signal of a 9K34 Strela-3 (NATO designation of SA-14 Gremlin) man-portable air defense missile system (MANPADS) [photo 2nd left] being fired in the West Coast region of the United States where, "coincidentally", reports are now emerging of a catastrophic explosion and massive fire in San Francisco.

According to Western reports of this catastrophe, a massive explosion hit San Francisco last evening around 6 p.m. on a hillside near Interstates 280 and 380, in a residential area named San Bruno that is about two miles west of San Francisco International Airport and was so loud and devastating that some officials initially suspect that a plane had smashed i

edit on 10-9-2010 by xian06 because: link didnt work

edit on Fri Sep 10 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
all eywitnesses say they saw a plane
then the goverment says it wasn"t a plane
then i new enough

edit on 10-9-2010 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by xian06

Contributed by Sorcha Faal
September 10, 2010 11:08

______beforeitsnews/story/169/689/Missile_Strike_Downs_San_Francisco_Plane,_News_Blackout_Ordered.html

All I needed to know to discredit this report. Other reactions may vary.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah that makes sense, I'm in agreement. I really hope it was just a terrible accident caused by a freak failure of some kind in the line and not negligence on the part of PG&E, even though they'll be held accountable as they should.

I still can't believe a pipe 24 in. in diameter spewing gas and flame 1000 ft into the air.. Unreal.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So I was watching CNN in the morning and they were interviewing the Mayor of the city. Residents were trying to ask questions about smells of gas filling the area of the entire week before the event, but they went ignored. They ask what was being done about the gas leak reports over the week. So I guess nothing was done.

So I bet all of you that if you dug deep enough you will find reports about leaking gas somewhere.

Here is one:

cbs5.com...

PG&E president Chris Johns said his company would "fully cooperate" with the investigation and explore unconfirmed witness reports of the smell of gas in the area before the explosion.

Here is another source with a video of witness smelling gas for THREE WEEKS. Claims PG&E came to his house before hand. Scroll down, and the video is on the left, 2nd one down.

www.cnn.com...

With PG&E's record, I wouldn't doubt they ignored the leaks... I hope PG&E finally go bankrupt for this.

reply to post by xian06

Wow, Sorcha Faal is a fool. How on Earth can she just create such a stupid lie and think people would believe it. It's like she waits for disasters and makes up b.s. around every one of them.

edit on 10-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ed

Uhhh i thought natural gas was odorless?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed
So I bet all of you that if you dug deep enough you will find reports about leaking gas somewhere.

No digging required. You can go back a few pages here and see that it was already mentioned and discussed on this thread complete with sources.

Originally posted by srbouska
reply to post by illumin8ed

Uhhh i thought natural gas was odorless?

It is. They add a chemical to the gas feed to make it smell so that you can tell there is a leak.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

low flying plane

it is near San Francisco airport - plenty of low flying planes around

Water evaporated, water mains not functioning

Given violence of the explosion (it was 24 " gas main) likely water mains in area were fractured

As for water evaporating - the heat produced by such a gas fire is unbelievable. Any water sprayed into it
would be vaporized long before reaching the burning gas. Equivalent to pissing on a forest fire.....

I'm a FF - once at garage fire had broken gas pipe on fire. Spent next 1 1/2 hr spraying water on area with my partner until urility crew could shut main in the street. Heat from burning gas was intense.

Again stay real.......

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by srbouska

Like stated, they add a smell to it so it could be detected. Go to your gas stove, and turn it on for a minute, and you will smell it.

My 6th grade teacher (many years ago) told me her uncle invented that smell/idea so it could save many lives.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by srbouska

Add a chemical called Mercaptan to it to give smell so leaks can be detected

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Apparently the residents had been reporting the smell of gas for days, and PG&E failed to act. This might be the reason.

calitics.com...

It also would call into question the priorities of PG&E's leadership, which spent a whopping $46 million in their failed attempt to pass Prop 16, which would have undermined local government efforts to provide renewable energy to their residents. The CPUC has announced an investigation, and part of it should examine whether PG&E has cut back on maintenance and field crews in order to pad their profits and fund their ballot initiative campaign.

I live not too far away, and Tuesday, I could smell gas over a considerable area where I live. It is strange to think about it now. Luckily the smell cleared up quickly, but now I am more concerned.

Gas lines are double contained, with an inner and outer pipe, and the pressure is low, around 12-16 psi if memory serves me correctly. This is strange incident.

When is the last time there was a huge gas line explosion?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
GoldenFleece has posted an interesting thread that lends *possible* credence to this being sparked by a meteor...Was San Bruno explosion a meteorite?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

Like I said earlier - watched the resulting fire from 1994 Edison NJ explosion 25 miles away. Could see the glow from the fire for miles. Some of my friends went down to watch - even from several miles away could
not believe how bright it was....

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
I still can't believe a pipe 24 in. in diameter spewing gas and flame 1000 ft into the air.. Unreal.

PG&E corrected that to a 30in pipe in the live briefing
on CNN streamed

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Apparently gas line explosions are not that uncommon, especially in the U.S..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Run into GOLDEN FLEECE" on 9/11 forum - he is "truther" know for bizarre conspiracy theories

Pay him no mind......

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz

No one knows what the cause is but the FAA has been saying that it wasn't a plane. What's interesting is that the residents from there say they heard what sounded like a commercial plane just before the explosion... Some are now saying that it may have been a gas line.

edit on 9/9/2010 by mistafaz because: (no reason given)

I just find it so strange that people can't differentiate 'above' from 'below'. Sure, a ground blast can be mistaken afterwards, as something from above but..........to hear it overhead like a plane is just plain ol' weird!

Now............I really don't mean to go off-topic but this is a prime example where some people say 'up above' and some 'down below' that really ought to make EVERYONE question the 'witnesses' regarding the planes on 9-11.
Some say 'passenger planes' while most (at the beginning) said 'small air-craft' yet some said 'missile'.

Witnesses are wrong (Unless some of us reside in totally different parallel universes than the rest.....)

So then we have the media.....who spins and chooses from the multitude of witnesses to further their agenda in appeasing the 'officials' story!

It just goes to show how we cannot trust anything we read anymore. Not that they are out-right liars but at minimum, there are always two (maybe three) sides of any one story......................always!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
When is the last time there was a huge gas line explosion?

Here is a list, however some are oil line ruptures.
en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a few recent ones:

-2009 Natural gas pipeline explodes and catches fire on May 5, 2009 near Rockville, IN in Parke County about 24 miles north of Terre haute, IN. PHMSA indicated the possibility of external corrosion in its Corrective Action Order (CAO) to the pipeline company. Pictures have been released around the area showing the damage caused. 49 homes were evacuated in a one-mile area of the explosion. No injuries reported.

-2009 Bushland, Texas — Two people hurt when a natural gas pipeline exploded in the Texas Panhandle. The explosion early Thursday 5 November left a hole about 30 yards by 20 yards and close to 15 feet deep. The blast shook homes, melted window blinds and shot flames hundreds of feet into the air. The home nearest the blast — about 100 yards away- was destroyed. Bushland is about 15 miles west of Amarillo.[12]

-2009 A new 42-inch (1,100 mm) gas transmission pipeline near Philo, Ohio fails on the second day of operation. There was no fire, but evacuations resulted. (November 14, 2009)

edit on 10-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Sep 10 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Fri Sep 10 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
extra DIV

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join