It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge blast in San Bruno; neighborhood on fire

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Reports from the site of the crater is that there is a large diameter pipe sticking out of the ground and split open for at least 20 feet.

Also the initial blast caused a fireball 1000 feet in height and knocked playground equipment over a block down the street.

Also there are large chunks of concrete and asphalt laying in the street from the blast.
Some falling concrete and asphalt had punched holes it roofs of homes around the blast, and windows had been blown out for blocks allowing the heat to set curtains in the homes to catch fire from radiant heat.
The area water main is run in the same right of way and is also knocked out.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

edit on 10-9-2010 by ANNED because: double post

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Fox News (yeah, I know) is showing the fire chief answering questions from reporters. A resident jumped in and asked if the chief if he had anything to say about other residents in the neighborhood who apparently reported (i assume to the fire department or PG&E but he didn't specify) they had been smelling gas for about a week. The chief said he hadn't heard those reports, but did not elaborate and quickly moved to the next question.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Nikolam because: for clarity...give me a break, it's 2am

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I would like to know if this is a high volume low pressure gas main or a high volume high pressure one.

I have dealt with PG&E on two different gas line breaks. One, a lady ran over the curb in a parking lot and crashed into the gas meters severing the 1" gas riser. Within minutes you could smell the chemical they place in the gas for blocks around. It took about 1 hour to get the line shut off. The other was a landscaper cut the site gas line with a trencher. PG&E was on site at the time so no big deal.

Now, with gas mains, shut offs are placed every so often, do not know the spacing, never dealt with those except tying into them.

Depending on the locations for the shutoffs, this could burn for quite awhile, depending if it is a high pressure or not and the length of the section. As for the gas service, most gas systems are done in a loop. This way if a shutoff is necessary, only the section of service gets shutdown if a shutoff has to be done.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
***ONE CONFIRMED DEATH at this time*** (sadly probably more will come to light soon I believe)

If you're in the area you're supposed to cal 650 616 7180 - this is to allow officials to know you're accounted for (which to me means many people are still unaccounted for but I hope not).

Here's a couple still's I took:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b985f5aed86.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3aeff86afe4d.jpg[/atsimg]

I hope injuries are contained to a small amount, as well as the fire be contained completely soon. I just heard them say approx. 50% is now contained (but I don't really trust the MSM but I surely hope that at *least* 50% of the fire is contained).

And by the way if you're in the area and have 0 negative blood get down to the area and donate asap - burn victims are in need!

Pictures taken from ABC Live Feed

edit on 10/9/2010 by highlyoriginal because: added link

edit on 10/9/2010 by highlyoriginal because: edit to add more info

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My gosh, this is horrible, reminds of the 1991 Oakland firestorm, I lived in Berkeley at the time, hope there are no more deaths...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It wasn't caused by a gas main it was caused by a UFO. The invasion has started and we are shooting them down as they invade our airspace . more to come.....

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunieri
Listening to the San Mateo fire scanner

good job keepin an ear to the scanners,

i'm wondering if maybe this gas leak was caused by the shifting of the earth, since cali has been getting alot of earthquakes for a long time now.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Refernce EDISON NJ GAS MAIN EXPLOSION 1994

Similar thing happened in March 1004 when buried gas main damaged by excavators several years before ruptured and exploded

I live in NJ about 25 miles north - we could see the fire from that distance

Here is article from NY Times

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

My thoughts exactly. I too thought meteor. Has anyone got any further info regarding near misses etc. Or could it have been a quake that ruptured the pipe?
I'm not saying this isn't exactly what it is but it is a conspiracy site.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
South San Francisco seismogram

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I think that little blue blip is the explosion

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

My thoughts exactly. I too thought meteor. Has anyone got any further info regarding near misses etc. Or could it have been a quake that ruptured the pipe?
I'm not saying this isn't exactly what it is but it is a conspiracy site.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Another reminder of the obvious - that in actuality, natural gas flammable and in certain circumstances explosive. But since it's natural gas that is politically correct, expect it to disappear from the news within a day or two. If it had had anything to do with a nuclear power plant it would be brought up by all the ant-nuke groups and kept alive in the media for the next 20 years.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'm thinking a failed rocket, perhaps russian. Seems to be the excuse for everything these days.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

While I recognize your post was in jest. I initiily thought that this had that possibility of another roswell... oh well, maybe next time. I'd still like to here your thoughts

edit on 10-9-2010 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I really can't believe that! This is absolutely crazy. I feel awful for anyone in that area, my thoughts go to those who need it. Stay safe out there...

Amazingly, I am just hearing about this now at 5:05am over here in PA. Maybe I just didn't hear any news since it happens. What are the odds it was a small meteorite? Either way, definitely devistating. Oh wait, if it's some sort of small meteor impact, isn't it possible that a barrage of small meteors are going to follow? Honestly though, people are just saying it is the gas. I suppose I'm looking at it from more of a hypothetical standpoint then?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I think it is three confirmed deaths now

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
From CNN IReports

From Golden Gate Park 6:50 pm
ireport.cnn.com...

Video footage of the San Bruno Fire from the Tanforan Shopping Center parking lot.
Now I know exactly where this happened, I have stood in that parking lot many many times.
ireport.cnn.com...

All IReports on the explosion
ireport.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

That is really not cool.... People have lost their lives, homes, and everything they own. This is not a joking matter, shame on you and I hope you have the same fate as these people!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02

That is really not cool.... People have lost their lives, homes, and everything they own. This is not a joking matter, shame on you and I hope you have the same fate as these people!!!!

You say shame on me for joking that it was a ufo ( there are a lot of wild ufo stories and theories on this site its ATS for gods sake
) then in the next breath you hope I lose my life home and everything I own. So let me get this straight I can't make a joke about the cause of the explosion being a UFO but its alright for you to say that you hope i die ?? Cheers mate

I guess its a British thing we often laugh in the face of adversity and jokes in poor taste are the norm here. However I have every sympathy for anybody affected by the blast and wouldn't ( unlike you sir) wish it upon my worse enemy)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join