It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching Myself Tarot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hi all. I'm fairly new as a member of this forum, about a month now. I finally have enough posts to start my own thread - yay. So here's my point.

I bought myself a pack of Tarot cards and I have been teaching myself Tarot by doing readings on myself for a couple of months now. I found some advice on a Tarot forum that said to draw only one card per day, then increase that afer a couple of weeks. I got myself up to 4 cards per day, but then I started to feel frustrated that I was reading too much into the cards that I drew.

I never asked specific questions, I only drew the cards. Now for all of you who do Tarot card readings for others, how did you teach yourself and get to the point where you can do readings for others? Also, being a newbie at it, can I ask specific questions yet and can I ask questions regarding other people, such as my husband or family members or friends?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
What tarot deck did you get? I don’t believe anything is set in stone with the tarot - including the type of draws you do and the interpretation of the symbols. You can do one card draws, use the traditional cross method, or whatever you so choose. Feel free to ask specific questions if you’d like. I rarely ask questions because I think the cards are merely a snapshot of our current consciousness.

The cards really started to “speak” to me the more I used them. Sometimes I’ll just shuffle my decks and not even draw cards just to sort of “infuse” my energy into them.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalie8
Now for all of you who do Tarot card readings for others, how did you teach yourself and get to the point where you can do readings for others?

It is very simple really - just do what all Tarot readers do, cold reading
en.wikipedia.org...

You do realise that "the original purpose of tarot cards was for playing games, the first basic rules appearing in the manuscript of Martiano da Tortona before 1425 ......Tarot cards would later become associated with mysticism and magic.[21] Tarot was not widely adopted by mystics, occultists and secret societies until the 18th and 19th centuries."
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 9/9/10 by dereks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
there are tons of websites on the internet
which can give ya help in that field.
If ya wanna go a step further
and spend a lil cash, Amazon has
some good books still in print.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thanks for all of your replies. I forgot to mention the deck that I have - it's the Rider Waite deck. I'll keep checking websites and using my intuition in my readings. How long do you think I would need to do it on myself before I can do readings on others? I was told 2 years. That seems like so long.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalie8
Thanks for all of your replies. I forgot to mention the deck that I have - it's the Rider Waite deck. I'll keep checking websites and using my intuition in my readings. How long do you think I would need to do it on myself before I can do readings on others? I was told 2 years. That seems like so long.

I loved www.learntarot.com when I was just starting out, especially when using the Rider Waite deck. They explain each card in detail and how that card interacts with other cards.

There isn't a specific timetable you need to follow if you want to read for others. Have a game night with some friends and do a few pulls.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Hazystars because: typo

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
MY girlfriend has done Tarot for ages, I will see if I can get her to give you some advice

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
First of all, relax...

You cant make mistakes in reading Tarot.

Really it is just a step towards trusting your own intuition eventually.
You already have that, so let go, tune in and have fun with it.

I like the five card draw personally, it goes like this:

1. Issue
2. What to be open to.
3. What to put out
3.The outcome
4.Divine guidance and ultimate wisdom

If I am ever unclear on a particular card I simply pull another to clarify.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The first thing to do is make sure you're using the Rider-Waite deck. It's not as pretty as some, but it is the only one that features all the images on each card that you need to be able to properly interpret a reading. No card has a meaning that can disregard the context that the rest of the reading imposes upon it, and the complex imagery of the Rider-Waite deck allows the reader to reach for the card's nuance without aving to consult a chart or a guide book.

A good example is the 5 of Pentacles. At first glance, it appears to be a bad card, and most tarot books will tell you that it's a bad card. "Dark night of the soul" is the term usually associated with this card, and standing there by itself, it does mean that. However, if this card shows up in the right position, or surrounded by the right cards in other positions, the card can be a warning to the seeker to not let an upcoming success distract them from the fact that material satisfaction is fleeting at best. This - obviously - is a very different interpretation, and one that a neophite would never think to offer the seeker.

The best book I know of for learning tarot is a Numerology book. It's called "Numerology and the Divine Triangle" The art of reading tarot is the art of interpretation, and there's no "power" involved other than the reader's capacity for subtle indication. The rest of the magic resides in the subconscious mind of the seeker - but not unless that seeker is allowed to shuffle the cards. Psycho-kineses is what does the workj, and the seeker actually knows the answer to the question he/she is asking. It's like the "tale of the tape" estimates that Major League Baseball statisticians employ when calculating the distance of a homerun ball. Height, angle, and the resulting trajectory - applied to the momentum of progressive causation. The seeker knows the trajectory (deep inside) and the tarot cards simply focus the subconscious to "shuffle" the cards into place. The reader, then, interprets the intent of the seeker's subconscious advice.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I asked my gf. She says that the best book and cards to learn with (in her opinion) are the "Mythic Tarot (deck&book) by Sharman-Burke/G​reene) You can get it on ebay for around $25
You need to know the basic layouts like the "celtic cross" and repeat them a lot i.e. practice reading the cards every day.
She also says that it's useful to do other forms of divination as well such as runes, I ching, dice and coins.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I've been dabbling with the Tarot for several years now (having been told I had the ability when having my own cards read) and still don't know all the cards and likely meanings. Then there is the matter of choosing which card spread to use and the interpretation of the cards in relation to one another - complicated stuff!

So far I have only done readings for friends and use a book to look up cards I am not sure about. Some spreads jump out at me, seeming to make perfect sense, others are far from easy, many appear to be pretty accurate after events have had a chance to enfold. I do use them for myself but have to take care not to only see what I want to see and remain objective.

When doing readings I always warn people not to freak if the Death Card, the Devil, the Tower etc should appear as their meanings are many, and find it easier to work with the person than just telling them my interpretation. The hardest part is usually starting off and I would suggest you select a less complicated lay out of about seven cards to use and have a go at a reading with friends. This should help build your confidence.

Its funny - part of me is sceptical about such things - and part of me drawn to them!

Phew - that's my first post.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
You are forbidden from buying your first deck as it's considered to be customary and accepted practice that your first deck must be a gift.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
You are forbidden from buying your first deck as it's considered to be customary and accepted practice that your first deck must be a gift.

Well, it's a bit late for that now. I could call it a gift to myself.

I knew that about Angel Cards, but not about Tarot cards. A point I should make is this: I live in Dubai and it is very difficult to find things like that here. Last year, my aunt sent me a deck of Angel cards as a birthday gift and they were refused by Customs and Immigration.

A few months ago I splurged on a Rider Waite deck - around $60 US
and I've been using them. I've already programmed them and Reiki'd them and so far they seem to be working.

top topics

join